AT&T 3G MicroCell to cost $150, require no monthly fees

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Ok, had to do it...

In Soviet Russia, micro-cell call youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

good one.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

A Few Suggestions:

----------------

Drop the price of the unlimited plan, even $5.

There should also be a bundle discount for the 3G MicroCell if you already have AT&T DSL! (perhaps $50 off per AT&T DSL account).

From an earlier AI article (and the ATT Web site: "Bundled with AT&T-supplied Internet (if available in your area), the monthly fee drops to $10, and with AT&T Internet and landline service (if you also pay to have one of those old plug-in type phones), the monthly fee goes away entirely. "

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

Although I see no mention of a free, skip-the-unlimited-minutes option.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Or you're a troll who doesn't know that you can do VOIP calling at home for free already?

The $150 to use your plan minutes is great if you have so-so coverage at home. When it comes out I can dump vonage although I may buy a ooma to port my old vonage number over first.

I was asking a legit question. I just said I was out of the loop. I already have Skype on my computer, but I can't really carry that around with me while I'm moving around the house, now can I? Thus, because I've got a wireless network set up at my home, VOIP on my iPhone is something I'm considering due to AT&T's fairly restrictive phone plan.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I call BS. Since when does Appleinsider write such a glowing pro-AT&T article...
    What the device will do is blanket 5,000 square feet (about a 40 foot radius from the device) of home or office space with excellent voice, text, and data service coverage to prevent dropped calls or delayed messages.
    How do you know its "excellent". "Blanket"s the area. My WiFi router doesn't blanket the area. I bet this device has its issues too.

Every sentence in this article tried to put a positive slant for AT&T.

Bottom line, their coverage stinks and they're trying to get customers to pay to try and fix AT&T's lousy coverage. Does not make sense.

AT&T should give the device for a discount and provide free calls when using the device. Its using OUR network that we are paying for.

What if net neutrality that AT&T is fighting against were to fail, and Comcast decided to be "innovative" and charge for carrying AT&T calls.

Customers should not pay for using their own network to try and fix AT&T's network.

Ultimately the solution is for AT&T to fix their coverage problem. If they can't do it. Switch to a cell phone company which does have coverage. Period.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

5 Bars all thru out my house.....I can get this unlimited plan for $20 a month and get rid of my landline which costs $50 per month......I'm ahead by $30 a month!

I use QuantumVoice, $10/mo (final price including taxes & fees) for 250 outgoing minutes. Incoming and toll free calls are free (unlimited).
  • Reply 46 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

I've been out of the loop for awhile. Let me see if I understand this...

So, I could buy this $150 device and pay $20 a month over my current 900-minute iPhone plan and get unlimited calls while I'm at home...

Or the FCC could bring the hammer down on AT&T and force Apple to allow VOIP apps on the iPhone and I can do unlimited VOIP calling at home for free.

Is that right?

Yes, thats right. And thats why AT&T & Verizon don't want net neutrality. It will prevent them "innovating" new and creating ways to pay more for what they already have.

The microcell is just one trivial example of the kind of innovative charges they can come up with.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Guys... Do you not READ?

You are not expanding their network for other people... Only phones you specifically authorize can function on the microcell. Nobody else can use your bandwidth, so there will be no compensation.

Frankly, $150 to have perfect coverage with no monthly cost really isn't that much to ask. I will definitely be picking one of these up for my apartment in Chicago (when its available)
  • Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

I was asking a legit question. I just said I was out of the loop. I already have Skype on my computer, but I can't really carry that around with me while I'm moving around the house, now can I? Thus, because I've got a wireless network set up at my home, VOIP on my iPhone is something I'm considering due to AT&T's fairly restrictive phone plan.

Actually you can carry your skype around with you in your house and for no additional cost you can carry it to any wifi hotspot! its called Skype for iPhone you idiot.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Deleted!
  • Reply 50 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

Actually you can carry your skype around with you in your house and for no additional cost you can carry it to any wifi hotspot! its called Skype for iPhone you idiot.

Best you read the conditions that allow you to post here.

Your name calling is forbidden. Best you revise immediately or you will be banned.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    Deleted!
  • Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:

I've posted a grand total of about 70 times over the past 8 years. I'm clearly tied to this place by my heartstrings. Oh, wait. I'm not. Ban away. And good catch, forum police officer. We're all safer now that you're here.

I assume you've PMed the others who've called me a troll and idiot for my question and said the same thing to them?

I'm confused. Are Gamrin and Shinrah the same person?
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'm confused. Are Gamrin and Shinrah the same person?

Definitely not. I'd never have a Final Fantasy 7-based username. Not that I didn't like the game...

Jeez. Ask one question around here about VOIP and everyone's panties get all in a bunch.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Quote:

Definitely not. I'd never have a Final Fantasy 7-based username. Not that I didn't like the game...

Jeez. Ask one question around here about VOIP and everyone's panties get all in a bunch.

But you replied to the warning that was given to the other guy...
  • Reply 55 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

But you replied to the warning that was given to the other guy...

Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit, apparently. I'll revise.

Apologies to all.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Best you read the conditions that allow you to post here.

Your name calling is forbidden. Best you revise immediately or you will be banned.

Such intelligent conversation.

It looks like vinea started it calling Garmin a troll. Unless I missed something, Garmin's question seems perfectly reasonable.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Such intelligent conversation.

It looks like vinea started it calling Garmin a troll. Unless I missed something, Garmin's question seems perfectly reasonable.

I'm just asking questions here. Seriously, no offense.

I'm not particularly happy with AT&T here in my town. The service is terrible, especially in my home. The $150 hotspot doesn't sound so bad (though I protest to having to spend extra money to actually use a service I've already paid for), but the $20 a month does. And if I'm going to piggyback on my cable internet service with that hotspot, I might as well use something like Skype, anyway. Others with different needs have posted excellent reasons for loving the new AT&T offering, but for me it's not so great. :/
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Just put up a full review of the MicroCell I picked up yesterday. So far I really like it.

http://jasonnash.wordpress.com/2009/...-3g-microcell/
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Speedtest app screenshot:

Range covers my small front yard. Added info on it to the review. Basically once I got outside and there were 3 drywall walls and brick between us I'd drop a bar about every 20 feet. Enough to cover a deck/patio..maybe not a backyard/pool.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yep. Right now China Unicom 3G charges $27 US for 60 MB.

Keep in mind that most countries outside of the US and Canada are or were heavily subsidized by tax payers.

Please name a few, since I had a mobile phone in Australia, Thailand, Philippines, India, Singapore, China, UK, Jamaica to name a few and it is not heavily subsidized by tax payers.