A little help with remote control...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Let me start by saying I have been searching the forums for a while this morning. I have found some things, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Now for the questions...

I converted my mother-in-law to a iMac about 4 months ago, and my parents just last week. Now, my mother-in-law is a bit more computer savvy than my parents so she is doing pretty good. I would however like to setup both of these systems so I can connect from home to walk them thru issues, install software, troubleshoot, etc. I know that there is some remote desktop stuff built into Mac OS X. I'm a Unix admin professionally, but I'm still pretty light on Mac specifics. I had once stumbled across a step by step process on setting up something like this. Anyone know where I can find such a beast?

I know that iChat offers screen sharing, but in what I've found so far I'm not sure if it allows true remote control or if I'm just along for the ride? Even assuming that it does indeed offer complete remote control, I'm hoping for a solution that will allow me access with needing someone on the other end to accept a connection. The connection is DSL on both ends. At work I use VNC for connecting to a few Winblows boxes and SSH for all of my Unix admin stuff. In Unix speak I'm wanting the desktop tunneled over and SSH-like connection.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Let me start by saying I have been searching the forums for a while this morning. I have found some things, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Now for the questions...

I converted my mother-in-law to a iMac about 4 months ago, and my parents just last week. Now, my mother-in-law is a bit more computer savvy than my parents so she is doing pretty good. I would however like to setup both of these systems so I can connect from home to walk them thru issues, install software, troubleshoot, etc. I know that there is some remote desktop stuff built into Mac OS X. I'm a Unix admin professionally, but I'm still pretty light on Mac specifics. I had once stumbled across a step by step process on setting up something like this. Anyone know where I can find such a beast?

I know that iChat offers screen sharing, but in what I've found so far I'm not sure if it allows true remote control or if I'm just along for the ride? Even assuming that it does indeed offer complete remote control, I'm hoping for a solution that will allow me access with needing someone on the other end to accept a connection. The connection is DSL on both ends. At work I use VNC for connecting to a few Winblows boxes and SSH for all of my Unix admin stuff. In Unix speak I'm wanting the desktop tunneled over and SSH-like connection.

Try TeamViewer, svnipp. Cross platform remote desktop control, screen sharing, and Large File Transfer. And FREE!

I use it to do 'SysAdmin' and 'helpdesk' stuff for my 81 year old mother. Works great! I don't have to jump into my car anymore when my mother calls me with some incomprehensible explanation of a bug or problem. I can now see what her problem is, and fix it immediately. Wherever in the world I may be at that moment. It saves me time, money, and gas. And it saves the environment, and traffic pressure. And it increases traffic safety (as I'm not on the road). And my mother gets instant 'service'.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

You didn't say if you were using a Mac or not. But if you are, you can control your parents Mac over iChat. With iChat your parents will have to start up iChat and then accept your connection. Or you can set up screen sharing on you parents machine and log in whenever you want. I use iChat to help my mother when I'm home, and screen sharing to connect to my home machine when I'm visiting her.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

You didn't say if you were using a Mac or not. But if you are, you can control your parents Mac over iChat. With iChat your parents will have to start up iChat and then accept your connection. Or you can set up screen sharing on you parents machine and log in whenever you want. I use iChat to help my mother when I'm home, and screen sharing to connect to my home machine when I'm visiting her.

I've got a Mac Pro at home that I dual boot between Windoze and Mac OS X. I'll probably be doing most of my helping out from within the Mac OS X side of the box. Last night I was able to walk my dad thru the Screen Sharing setting so I can now connect via Chicken of the VNC. I figured that this would be the easiest way to do it. The only problem I have is really, REALLY horrible performance. I'm talking almost dial-up speeds here. We are both on DSL lines, but I figure this is simply due to the upload bandwidth on his side. Any way to increase compression? The VNC client is reporting a compression rate of like 2.78, I think.

Would there be a better free VNC client to use under Mac OS X than Chicken of the VNC?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I don't have Chicken of the VNC. I was considering it until screen sharing got added to Leopard. So I don't know if that's the reason your slow or not. Screen sharing is not the fastest thing around but the few times I've used it it was fast enough to get the job done. And much better than trying to talk someone through a problem with just the phone. And the great thing about iChat, you can talk with the people while manipulating their machine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

I'm hoping for a solution that will allow me access with needing someone on the other end to accept a connection.

That's TeamViewer to a T, svnipp. It generates a random ID and password that the other side needs to communicate to you to establish a unique and secure connection (tunnel). By phone is most convenient, of course, but you can do that via skype, chat, mail, or texting as well.