Report: Apple pushed Intel to develop Light Peak cabling

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 156
    That was no hackintosh. Intel is a huge corporation and they would never publicly do that. The fact that Intel's demo machine was running OS X is just pure proof that Apple and Intel developed this together and that Apple already has it in products in the R&D pipeline. That explains why Intel says there will be products in the market in 2010 using the technology.



    Apple will push technology forward yet again and if the PC manufacturers don't jump on quickly and Microsoft doesn't build support into Windows quickly, Macs are going to be way ahead of the game!



    I'm really excited to see what happens next year!
  • Reply 42 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    iphone is limited by the speed of flash, which in a lot of cases is slower than hard disk



    Wrong. In most cases, flash memory is faster than hard disks.
  • Reply 43 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    Wrong. In most cases, flash memory is faster than hard disks.



    Not something like your average storage flash. Just look at how slow USB pen drives are. You're into SSD territory when you're talking about flash that's faster than a mechanical hard drive.
  • Reply 44 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    One of the worse things about iPhone is how long it takes to transfer apps and movies. A 10Gbit link sure would help.



    ?! It can't even keep up with USB2!
  • Reply 45 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post


    According to your personal private email to me you say you're a Moderator. You tell me.

    I'll just be back under a new name, I don't lose sleep over the hatred in this room.



    Just do me a favor and drop me a email to let me know if Intel has been added to the "I'm an Appe Fan and Must Hate X Vendor" List.

    my

    It's hard to keep up with these days, Apple has pissed of every vendor they have ever partnered with.



    Let me know when Steve hates puppy dogs and kittens. I'll be sure to add them to them to my list.



    Dumb Ass Sheep.



    took too long to ban this person. I never understand people that rant for the reason, their hate the company or product in a site that majority of people use to obtain an update on their favorite company/product.



    Okay to provide a opinion, which we may not agree with, but with good logic facts/opinions, but to rant, just do not visit this site.



    He was on a personal crusader to change us all.. bye bye



    P.S. Please stay away from this site, since if you were throw out of a building/conference/club in real life, you would stay away, have some dignity and know, when you are not wanted.
  • Reply 46 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post


    Not something like your average storage flash. Just look at how slow USB pen drives are. You're into SSD territory when you're talking about flash that's faster than a mechanical hard drive.



    Yeah but even that is false now.



    edit: ...and it'll be even more false by the time Light Peak cables become a reality.
  • Reply 47 of 156
    This is some nice technology and all, but lets think for a moment- what we are going to actually connect these Light Peak cables to? Think of how many ethernet ports there are out there. Of how many HDMI/DVI/VGA ports there are out there. Of how many USB ports there are out there. Those don't just go away. Apple may be able to do it on Apple designed hardware going forward, but how do you connect to all the current devices out there? Not to be cynical, but do we then have to purchase an assortment of Light Peak-to-____ connectors from Apple to connect existing devices?
  • Reply 48 of 156
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    One of the worse things about iPhone is how long it takes to transfer apps and movies. A 10Gbit link sure would help.



    It may supplement the dock connector for syncing with a computer, but I can't see this replacing it for any other purpose. They still have that huge ecosystem of iPod/iPhone accessories that can't be converted to optical. Especially since Apple just released the connector APIs to let iPhone developers work with it more easily.
  • Reply 49 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I would welcome an über port to rule them all, but Apple's endless tinkering with monitor connectivity is kind of crazy making.



    If this article is to believed, no sooner will have people bought their peripherals and adapters to make use of Apple's odd ball mini display port machines than Apple will change it up once again.



    How many formats does that make in the last ten years or so?



    Sure, why not just allow humans and technology alike to become stagnant and non changing, why shame on apple for pushing the evolution of technology forward with new ideas and impelentations, yea bad apple.
  • Reply 50 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctmike78 View Post


    This is some nice technology and all, but lets think for a moment- what we are going to actually connect these Light Peak cables to? Think of how many ethernet ports there are out there. Of how many HDMI/DVI/VGA ports there are out there. Of how many USB ports there are out there. Those don't just go away. Apple may be able to do it on Apple designed hardware going forward, but how do you connect to all the current devices out there? Not to be cynical, but do we then have to purchase an assortment of Light Peak-to-____ connectors from Apple to connect existing devices?



    If I understand Light Peak correctly, Apple and other PC manufacturers can phrase out all kinds of different ports and only put multiple Light Peak ports in their computers, while consumers can make use of all the ports with their devices rather than only a couple of them. You don't need different kinds of connectors because it's what Light Peak all about.
  • Reply 51 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post


    I wonder why the mods here haven't booted you for trolling yet.



    According to your personal private email to me you say you're a Moderator. You tell me.



    Guess you confused Mr. K with me?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    took too long to ban this person.



    He's not permanently banned. The ban expires in three days.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    I never understand people that rant for the reason, their hate the company or product in a site that majority of people use to obtain an update on their favorite company/product.



    It is odd. I guess people do it for the attention.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    Okay to provide a opinion, which we may not agree with, but with good logic facts/opinions



    Exactly, which is why to say this:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    P.S. Please stay away from this site, since if you were throw out of a building/conference/club in real life, you would stay away, have some dignity and know, when you are not wanted.



    is not necessary. If upon his return NonVendorVan can tone it down on the personal insults he's welcome to express well-argued anti-apple sentiments. It's good to have a few people to counter-balance the few rabid Apple fanbois.
  • Reply 52 of 156
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think this port will be gradually folded into the port compliment of Macs (and PCs).



    Add a port or two to the laptops, along with the regular compliment of other ports. Over the next year, as peripherals come out with these ports, subsequent revisions of the hardware will see normal USB and Firewire ports replaced by LP. There is a lot of RJ-45 infrastructure out there, so I don't see that physical port going anywhere soon. Same for the audio ports.



    The desktops have more space to work with so they could always give a majority of it's port real estate to LP (eventually), and keep legacy USB and Firewire in the back for older peripherals. Video ports would be dictated by the video card manufacturers, they will likely offer DP, DVI, alongside LP if it really takes off in the graphics market.



    This is all speculation but if LP lives up to the hype, it can change computing dramatically. I'm thinking of external graphics cards for laptops, single-port port replicators, easier clustering, and more.
  • Reply 53 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    I wasn't paying attention to the Light Peak announcement, and now I'm extremely confused.



    Jobs is picky about this kind of things. If this is true, Firewire is dead, period. No 3200 for you.



    As for USB3, I'm not sure what this means. Apple can't ignore that the entire market will go to USB3 this winter, but at the same time adopting USB3 means that Light Peak adoption will lag.



    LightPeak is not incompatible with all the other standards: you can have a LightPeak connector at one end and any other connector at the other end, be it another LP, or simple USB3, FW, ethernet, HDMI or DP connectors. All you need is an optic fiber, 2 metal wires* and some converter at the connector end.



    * one for power and one for grounding. These wires have to be there anyway to protect the optical fiber from over-bending.
  • Reply 54 of 156
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    Wrong. In most cases, flash memory is faster than hard disks.







    Faster for lots of small files. Slower for streaming larger files. This is why you see SSS drives offered for os drives. For large data files like movies hard drives are faster and cheaper
  • Reply 55 of 156
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctmike78 View Post


    This is some nice technology and all, but lets think for a moment- what we are going to actually connect these Light Peak cables to? Think of how many ethernet ports there are out there. Of how many HDMI/DVI/VGA ports there are out there. Of how many USB ports there are out there. Those don't just go away. Apple may be able to do it on Apple designed hardware going forward, but how do you connect to all the current devices out there? Not to be cynical, but do we then have to purchase an assortment of Light Peak-to-____ connectors from Apple to connect existing devices?









    If the price is right then pc makers will include them. I built my first pc around the time FireWire came out. It was better than USB, but too expensive. Finally bought a fw port years later when it came on a new sound card



    same here. Only if it's cheap will people buy into it
  • Reply 56 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    If the price is right then pc makers will include them. I built my first pc around the time FireWire came out. It was better than USB, but too expensive. Finally bought a fw port years later when it came on a new sound card



    same here. Only if it's cheap will people buy into it



    Only if it is cheap will people buy into it?



    Perhaps if you are part of the race to the bottom crowd but I suspect that the high end will wand the speed long before the price get to where Joe Broke ComputerGeek will even look at it.
  • Reply 57 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I would welcome an über port to rule them all, but Apple's endless tinkering with monitor connectivity is kind of crazy making.



    If this article is to believed, no sooner will have people bought their peripherals and adapters to make use of Apple's odd ball mini display port machines than Apple will change it up once again.



    How many formats does that make in the last ten years or so?



    VGA

    Mini VGA

    DVI

    Mini DVI

    Micro DVI

    Display Port



    I may have missed some.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FtrV8 View Post


    Damn I was waiting for Arrandales to pop up in the MacBook Pro to replace one, now I gotta wait for this too!



    Then you'll have to wait for rev. B, because everyone knows you never buy a rev. A Apple product.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    And if Apple is actually behind this, it would explain why that Firewire hasn't moved from FW800 or their lack of interest in eSATA..



    This is a very valid point. It seems Apple is trying to simplify and reduce the number of ports, not add new ones. Also explains lack of HDMI.
  • Reply 58 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    Faster for lots of small files. Slower for streaming larger files. This is why you see SSS drives offered for os drives. For large data files like movies hard drives are faster and cheaper



    But you specifically mentioned iPhone in your post. So streaming large files is a non-issue since for the most part users send small files to the iPhone. There's no sustained writing there.



    If you meant thumb drives in general, then perhaps you have a point but you specifically talked about iPhone usage of Light Peak.



    And this is all assuming that flash technology will stagnate and not improve by the time Light Peak is out.



    The price is a non-issue also since you're the one that brought up speed and not cost. If you're going to add more variables to the mix then, yes, the HDD is cheaper but will never use up anywhere near 1/10th of Light Peak's slowest standard.
  • Reply 59 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Guess you confused Mr. K with me?







    He's not permanently banned. The ban expires in three days.









    It is odd. I guess people do it for the attention.







    Exactly, which is why to say this:







    is not necessary. If upon his return NonVendorVan can tone it down on the personal insults he's welcome to express well-argued anti-apple sentiments. It's good to have a few people to counter-balance the few rabid Apple fanbois.



    Read his posts (http://forums.appleinsider.com/searc...earchid=302600) and tell me if one of them have logic to them, reason for my post. He did not like Apple and expressed in irrational, without logic way. I did not write my post because of this discussion thread, but his continuous ranting and naming calling.



    I hope he changes, but behavior like that especially on the web, never changes, because he is not accountable, since he can hide behind a computer screen!



    I enjoy the anti-apple people, since their determination to show the 'other side' of apple with factual data lets us all realize that apple no different from MS, EXCEPT Apple give us better products. But he never give us a logic argument and was insulting, so I stand by my post.
  • Reply 60 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post


    The only person with hatred on this board is you. Most of us just laugh at your idiocy. Your paranoid delusions hurt nobody but yourself.



    Don't go assuming about everyone here. I myself have a lot of hatred.



    I hate it when companies purposefully withhold new technologies for the sake of profit...or control for that matter. I hate it when companies screw up what could be great tech products because of ineptitude. I also hate primitive tech in general.



    Hate isn't always evil.
Sign In or Register to comment.