Google Search in a New Tab

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
One of the reasons I like Firefox is I can highlight words, right click, and "Search Google" which opens in a new tab. Safari can right click to search Google, but it opens the new page within the same window. Is there any software to have the Google search open in a new tab? Maybe this should be a feature request.

Safari v4.0.3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Hold down the Command key.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Hold down the Command key.

Thanks, that's something that's bothered me for a while too.

Shame Apple don't make it more simple/intuitive, but I guess that's the same for many elements in Mac's UI.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'm sorry but I just tried highlighting a word and holding command and nothing happened. I believe what you mean is you can open a link in a new tab by holding command. Try opening Firefox and control-click or right-click a word to see "Search Google for ..." to understand what I mean. So simple and convenient.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Found the answer:

"Holding down command while selecting "Search in Google" from the context menu opens the Google search in a new tab"

Although I wish there was an option in preferences for the Google search to open in a new tab or window. Just to make things simpler.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Thanks, that's something that's bothered me for a while too.

Shame Apple don't make it more simple/intuitive, but I guess that's the same for many elements in Mac's UI.

What could be more simple than holding down a button? Jeeze Louise already.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What could be more simple than holding down a button? Jeeze Louise already.

Not holding down a button; that requires less effort or thought.

The point is, why should a user have to guess which button to press? how would a user know to do this? I didn't, hanguolaohu didn't. Apple's UI is not as easy to use/learn in some instances as MS Windows XP, prettier sure, but function is sometimes more important than form.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I'm traveling so I'm using the trackpad on my Macbook Pro. That means I must hold down 2 buttons, first the control button then click, then the command button then click. I surf a lot and open dozens of tabs per day, so this makes a difference to me, and one more reason why I use Firefox over Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post

...That means I must hold down 2 buttons, first the control button then click...

You can set in your preferences the option to 'right click' by clicking with two fingers on the track pad I believe.