27" iMac + UJ-235A = the mac we all wanted.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

Short success story for you all, plus a question.

Following the ifixit guide, I swapped out the not-so-great superdrive from the 80's with a UJ-235A from panasonic.

It fits perfectly and while it does NOT let me play movies, it DOES allow me to burn them with Compressor 3.5.

Now, my question is, can Apple disable this with a software update? I don't see why they would, and it sure looks nicer than having a clunky eternal drive.

Peace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTems View Post

Hi all,

Following the ifixit guide, I swapped out the not-so-great superdrive from the 80's with a UJ-235A from panasonic.

It fits perfectly and while it does NOT let me play movies, it DOES allow me to burn them with Compressor 3.5.

Now, my question is, can Apple disable this with a software update? I don't see why they would, and it sure looks nicer than having a clunky eternal drive.

Peace.

Open platform man, you can put whatever drive in there you want. Shouldn't void your warranty either with the exception of the drive of course, unless you broke something while doing it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Hi all,

Peace.

This is totally sweet! To me it's not a value (blu-ray) if it can't record. I could live without commercial Blu-ray playback but recordability is a must. What player do you own to test your discs out with?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Hi all,

Peace.

I suspect Apple can do anything they want via software update, but I highly doubt they will disable your BD drive. If you want to be extra safe, back up the driver.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This is totally sweet! To me it's not a value (blu-ray) if it can't record. I could live without commercial Blu-ray playback but recordability is a must. What player do you own to test your discs out with?

If the drive has write support (even just dvd write I think) then you can also use the drive to R-R-R-I-P BluRay movies... Not the ones protected with Blu+ or whatever its called but many/most of the older titles are being ripped by Mac users with this:

Site: http://www.makemkv.com/

Discussion forum: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/

Have fun!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

I seriously doubt they'd disable BR writing capability. They just went out of their way to give Final Cut 7 and Compressor 3.5 the ability to write directly to BR.