Flash Crashes with Safari and Snow Leopard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been using Snow Leopard for about a month now, but just yesterday a web site I've been reading daily for a long time (not this one) began to lock up Safari, usually after a pop-up window appeared saying that Flash had crashed. Safari then becomes unresponsive and must be force-quit. Searching around the net I find similar problems described, and a variety of fixes suggested. Some say 10.6.1 fixed it. Some say uninstalling and reinstalling the Flash plugin fixes it. Some say repairing permissions does it. None of which works for me (and the problem I have with only the one web site, so far). The only thing that does allow me to read this site is to drag the Flash plugin out of the Library folder.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That's probably a Flash problem. It is very wonky, off late.

You could install Click-to-Flash. It works for me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm sure it is a Flash problem, since dragging the plugin out of the Library fixed it.

Strange thing is, the problem web site works fine again. Maybe they were running one bad Flash ad?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm sure it is a Flash problem, since dragging the plugin out of the Library fixed it.

Strange thing is, the problem web site works fine again. Maybe they were running one bad Flash ad?

Of course they were. Until they run the next 'bad Flash ad'. And the next...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Maybe. But I've been reading this particular site daily for years and only had the problem for part of one day.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Maybe. But I've been reading this particular site daily for years and only had the problem for part of one day.

So maybe they fixed that particular Flash prob quickly?

Flash is notorious for browser crashes lately. And the fact that it is a proprietary Adobe format doesn't help. One more reason to look for alternatives. Afaik Apple is trying to push some (non-proprietary) html format to replace Flash.