Google says its navigation will come to iPhone, if Apple approves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

C'mon, Apple. This one has to be a no-brainer - please do it yesterday.

It looks to be really useful, and well-designed. And, it would help you to quickly take out the perception that the Droid is a 'cool' device (ref. the hundreds of news stories today) because of this one app.

You don't think that Google had this planned for the last 2 years at the very least?

Really?...

Google also announced their music plan today, seems most missed it in the hype of Droid.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...-in-hollywood/

Partnered with

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...pace-and-lala/

Regarding the maps app

Article Name

Google Should Make Apple Beg For Maps Navigation

Link

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...ps-navigation/

Where's the cool factor?

Google has

Navigation

Books

OS

Mobile OS

Music Partners

Search

Browser

Email

Cloud Apps for Business and Los Angeles Ca signed on as a Google Partner over Microsoft (30,00 city employees)

http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/66928257.html

Apple got a good Bitch Slapped today... How will they respond? Allow all of Googles apps onto the iPhone?

Might as well put a Google Logo on it at that point.

I don't want to hear about next June and the new iPhone.

I want to know why I shouldn't buy Droid?

Busy day for Google.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Another option could be that Apple did not purchase Placebase for its software. But purchased it for its software engineers, to help them turn the Map app into a navigation app still using Google Navigation.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ILoveFootball View Post

Where's the cool factor?

Apple has

Navigation

Books

OS

Mobile OS

Music Partners

Search

Browser

Email

Cloud Apps

Maybe when Google is done copying the iPhone they can actually think for themselves and release something intereesting that hasn't already been done by Apple, and done better.

A free navigation app does not an iPhone-killer make. Maybe if Google and its partners began giving away these Droid things for free then we's really see product move. It worked for RIM for a while, after all.

Apple bundles iTunes, too. That's free.

All we have are promises so far. Droid is an interesting device by perveption only, since it's unreleased.

Right now it's lookkng like a Palm Pre rehash.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Maybe when Google is done copying the iPhone they can actually think for themselves and release something intereesting that hasn't already been done by Apple, and done better.

A free navigation app does not an iPhone-killer make. Maybe if Google and its partners began giving away these Droid things for free then we's really see product move. It worked for RIM for a while, after all.

Apple bundles iTunes, too. That's free.

All we have are promises so far. Droid is an interesting device by perveption only, since it's unreleased.

Right now it's lookkng like a Palm Pre rehash.

Letting your grammer slide I'll just say this is what Verizon/Google/Motorola has planned for Times Square.

Article Name

Here's what Times Square will look like

Article Name

Verizon Wireless to take over Times Square with the Motorola DROID

Link

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...otorola-droid/

And by the way...

Right now what you have is the best tech sites in the US that has the Droid and love it.

I don't see anything that even remotely resembles the iPhone.

I see innovation and evolution at its best.

Quote:

Maybe if Google and its partners began giving away these Droid things for free then we's really see product move. It worked for RIM for a while, after all.

Rim has 4 of the top 6 phones on the market today.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Google is being very clever, setting the stage to pit upset iPhone users against Apple if Google GPS is rejected. This would set the stage to draw irritated iPhone users into the Droid/Android/G2 camp. At any rate, Apple is now behind the curve in addressing this issue, Google looks like the "good guy". Teh Steve had better address this or offer a better alternative right fast.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Google is being very clever, setting the stage to pit upset iPhone users against Apple if Google GPS is rejected. This would set the stage to draw irritated iPhone users into the Droid/Android/G2 camp. At any rate, Apple is now behind the curve in addressing this issue, Google looks like the "good guy". Teh Steve had better address this or offer a better alternative right fast.

Steve purchased a mapping software that was going out of business.

Let me make this perfectly clear.

Apple needs Google. And Google is going to cash in on it.

Good time to rethink your portfolio. Remember the Razor? There couldn't be a cooler phone than that. If you didn't have a Razor you were last years tech.

Unfortunately for Apple it's 3 year old tech with a closed App Store.

Google isn't being clever. It's doing business with good partners. Something Apple has burned way too many times.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    It's starting to really bother me the control that Google is having over people's lives. I wonder at what point they start to be called a monopoly. It's almost starting to look like 1984 with Google playing the role as Big Brother. They are getting to the point where they know every single thing that you do from what books you've read to knowing where you go all under the guise of being free. I'm also sure that eventually many gov'ts would love to get their hands on this. People have this idea that Google is great because it's free. Meanwhile Google is collecting all the info that we would never consider letting our own government have.

I'm hoping that Apple offers an alternative to this. The power in tech is becoming way too consolidated in Google's hands. LOL, there may come a day very soon where MS and Apple will have to team up against Google.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    A monopoly isn't illegal. Abuse of monopolistic position to limit competition is illegal.

To be considered a monopoly you have to have exclusive control over a market, Google has its hands in a lot of places but doesn't have exclusive control over anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's starting to really bother me the control that Google is having over people's lives. I wonder at what point they start to be called a monopoly.

• Reply 29 of 109
    I think Apple purchased mapping software engineers, not their product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ILoveFootball View Post

Steve purchased a mapping software that was going out of business.

• Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cleverboy View Post

Apple should probably take advantage of having the Google Navigator and just focus on adding value to it that distinguishes the platform.

That said... Google is become scarier and scarier.

Can everyone see what they're doing?

The Droid looks to be the best gambit yet towards creating a vision of the future of mobile computing. Android is a container implementing Google's best practices for their various cloud APIs. Anyone who thinks "iPhone vs. Droid" is missing the point. Google is doing an "end-run" on becoming integrated into EVERY device and EVERY operating system on the planet. Android is Google's insurance that their cloud computing platform cannot be marginalized. By keeping most of their value in the cloud, they can afford to "open source" the core system. By virtually giving away Android OS, and doing everything to popularize the platform, Google makes its services more attractive to other operating systems (like iPhone OS).

When I saw Google Mobile, with its Voice Search relying on the Google search engine, I became very impressed with the ability to use the power of a search engine to decipher voice input into likely commands. "THAT's power!", I thought. I made a post on another forum saying that Apple or Google should extend this to an entire operating system. --Google has now done that ADMIRABLY, and continued to push it even further with its amazing new "Turn-by-Turn Navigation" features.

Suddenly, Apple's game just got a LOT smaller, and its VERY clear why Apple could not readily allow Google Voice to appropriate its phone features. Google has set out to PUNK everyone who's not paying attention. They will give away services left-and-right. Some silly writers will think Google will "hold back" functions from Apple, when in reality Google is only too happy to offer them to Apple for integration into the iPhone. When Apple doesn't use the technology, Google will be only too happy to create a new iPhone app. Google Maps for Mobile will permeate every OS. Google services will find their way into a myriad of custom applications on each device.

Buy Google stock. Sell short on TomTom, Garmin, RIM, Palm and Nokia.

Apple? They're quickly becoming one of the only remaining two companies that will be able to compete with Google's game plan. In modern times, we will quickly realize that we do not know the meaning of the word "monopoly". Years from now, we will realize this as a pivotal moment before Google became the most powerful corporation on the face of the planet. When governments begin to understand and attempt to legislate the problem, it will be virtually impossible to understand how to even begin breaking Google up.

There will be no clear "categories" Google will fall into. Everything will be part of one pervasive miasma hooked into the same backend.

~ CB

You make some good points here. Problem is, 99% of users are and will continue to welcome it with open arms.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    "if apple accepts it"

and if the don't we -google- will of course accuse them of monopoly practises, as if apple isn't allowed to let whatever the heck they choose on their own platform.

Google is a joke, I remain unimpressed by their offerings, besides the search engine (which has progressed at all in these years of innovation but remains the same monolithic circa 2000 thing) I am still to be impressed by what they provide, actually what do they provide realisticaly? If ms hadn't been so miserably pathetic people wouldn't have turned to google from some semblances of innovation. The google chrome, wow tabs on top, such innovation...

let's also not forget how google is the no 1 spyware on the globe, tapping all of us.

maybe it's time we started boycotting these a holes, we ll have much the same results with yahoo or the (great) altavista.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:

Apple should probably take advantage of having the Google Navigator and just focus on adding value to it that distinguishes the platform.

That said... Google is become scarier and scarier.

Can everyone see what they're doing?

The Droid looks to be the best gambit yet towards creating a vision of the future of mobile computing. Android is a container implementing Google's best practices for their various cloud APIs. Anyone who thinks "iPhone vs. Droid" is missing the point. Google is doing an "end-run" on becoming integrated into EVERY device and EVERY operating system on the planet. Android is Google's insurance that their cloud computing platform cannot be marginalized. By keeping most of their value in the cloud, they can afford to "open source" the core system. By virtually giving away Android OS, and doing everything to popularize the platform, Google makes its services more attractive to other operating systems (like iPhone OS).

When I saw Google Mobile, with its Voice Search relying on the Google search engine, I became very impressed with the ability to use the power of a search engine to decipher voice input into likely commands. "THAT's power!", I thought. I made a post on another forum saying that Apple or Google should extend this to an entire operating system. --Google has now done that ADMIRABLY, and continued to push it even further with its amazing new "Turn-by-Turn Navigation" features.

Suddenly, Apple's game just got a LOT smaller, and its VERY clear why Apple could not readily allow Google Voice to appropriate its phone features. Google has set out to PUNK everyone who's not paying attention. They will give away services left-and-right. Some silly writers will think Google will "hold back" functions from Apple, when in reality Google is only too happy to offer them to Apple for integration into the iPhone. When Apple doesn't use the technology, Google will be only too happy to create a new iPhone app. Google Maps for Mobile will permeate every OS. Google services will find their way into a myriad of custom applications on each device.

Buy Google stock. Sell short on TomTom, Garmin, RIM, Palm and Nokia.

Apple? They're quickly becoming one of the only remaining two companies that will be able to compete with Google's game plan. In modern times, we will quickly realize that we do not know the meaning of the word "monopoly". Years from now, we will realize this as a pivotal moment before Google became the most powerful corporation on the face of the planet. When governments begin to understand and attempt to legislate the problem, it will be virtually impossible to understand how to even begin breaking Google up.

There will be no clear "categories" Google will fall into. Everything will be part of one pervasive miasma hooked into the same backend.

~ CB

Thank you!!! Finally someone who gets it! While it sounds like there are some undertones of Google becoming unfairly monopolistic, thus far, they have been mostly class, and I don't see this as malevolent at all. They are one of the forces bringing mobile out of the stone age.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

"if apple accepts it"

and if the don't we -google- will of course accuse them of monopoly practises, as if apple isn't allowed to let whatever the heck they choose on their own platform.

Google is a joke, I remain unimpressed by their offerings, besides the search engine (which has progressed at all in these years of innovation but remains the same monolithic circa 2000 thing) I am still to be impressed by what they provide, actually what do they provide realisticaly? If ms hadn't been so miserably pathetic people wouldn't have turned to google from some semblances of innovation. The google chrome, wow tabs on top, such innovation...

let's also not forget how google is the no 1 spyware on the globe, tapping all of us.

Google is not a joke.

It's Apple's worst nightmare happenng all on the same day.

Apple is puttig an iPhone app in the store that is Google's new music store.

I wonder why Google planned all of this for one day?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...earch-launched

The Apple Store App waiting for approval.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...ng-iphone-app/
  • Reply 34 of 109
    The money quote, from Eric Schmidt is "We love the iPhone". Why shouldn't they? Leverage Apple's R&D and bring similar functionality to the lots of devices. Isn't that what Android is all about? Google is simply taking a page from Microsoft's book...
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Another option could be that Apple did not purchase Placebase for its software. But purchased it for its software engineers, to help them turn the Map app into a navigation app still using Google Navigation.

They bought Placebase both for the Engineers and to extend the APIs into Cocoa native ones. PushPin APIs are public and continue to be updated:

http://www.pushpin.com/api/1.3/docs/

There are a lot of APIs changes and samples for anyone to use.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

The money quote, from Eric Schmidt is "We love the iPhone". Why shouldn't they? Leverage Apple's R&D and bring similar functionality to the lots of devices. Isn't that what Android is all about? Google is simply taking a page from Microsoft's book...

Correct. After they made all that valuation on future advertising profits all they've done is try to copy every hot tech they can get their hands on.

Sorry, but Java isn't Cocoa and it never will be.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You're joking, isn't?
  • Reply 38 of 109
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I don't even think GOOG will push iPhone Latitude/Navigation diligent... Right now it rather sounds like "now Apple, you beg us for this"...
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:

~ CB

Google is Yahoo but more successful. If you want to legislate against them, you would ban pervasive advertising in your country. Game over for google.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What exactly makes Google Navigation spyware more than any other GPS mapping service?

Google already knows your emails and Google Talk chat records, all your contacts, files you keep and etc., Now ti will know your driving habits. How it's not a spyware?