Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

although on the other hand, I'd still like a mail + contacts + calendar combo on OS X

I hear that.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I've owned every generation of iPhone but simply find the handset(s) to be little more than adequate 'feature phones' with substandard reception - in my area (Las Vegas, NV).

:

Insanity: ..... "To keep making the same decisions while always expecting a different outcome".

Hmmmm ..... If I were you ... I'd be worried, very worried.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And a gadget can be amazing but at the same time can be behind others gadgets.

True... However, I do not believe that the Iphone is behind any other phone in technology. It has the right combination of the right technology that's just right for me. Balance is important.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    It's bluster, plain and simple....and I say this as a person who can't live without his iMac. They iPhone success is owed just as much to marketing as to its capabilities. For proof, look to how it's sold outside the US. Its had decent sales (in volume) but market share against other smartphones has been so-so outside the US. The only reason the iPhone has done well has been because of the terrible quality of phones in the US. Had the iphone launched in Europe or Asia, they would not have had anywhere near the success they've enjoyed till now. The terrible quality of iphone competitors inside the US, combined with Apple's ability to muscle concessions from AT&T (including the concession of not requiring various AT&T features) is what made the iPhone successful. That's much harder to pull off outside the US where decent competitors are available, and consumers are far more savvy.

The biggest drawback of the phone, however, is Apple's insistence of selling it locked and usually with only one carrier. This is anathema to consumers in many countries who are used to buying unlocked phones or people who travel a lot and like to switch out sims. More than the other usual complaints, this sales tactic probably had the greatest impact on sales. It's one I hope Apple reverses some day. Certainly, here in Canada they have taken a big step by allowing all the big three telcos to sell the iPhone. However, they haven't gone so far as to sell a unlocked version that I could get at say an Apple Store.

In summary, I think their success has been decent but nothing worth bragging that their competitors are years behind. With new OS' quickly adapting MOSX best features and phone product cycles of only a few months, and significantly better hardware on competitor phones (cameras with flash for example), new competitors are bound to emerge. Individually, none of them might be an 'iphone killer'. After all, who can compete with the Apple brand and marketing machine. But on the whole, the set of competitors that are coming up will surely limit Apple's marketshare in years to come as long as Apple insists on defining the 'experience' for users as opposed to the other way around (which its competitors are doing).
  • Reply 85 of 99
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kEiTHz View Post

It's bluster, plain and simple....and I say this as a person who can't live without his iMac. They iPhone success is owed just as much to marketing as to its capabilities. For proof, look to how it's sold outside the US. Its had decent sales (in volume) but market share against other smartphones has been so-so outside the US. The only reason the iPhone has done well has been because of the terrible quality of phones in the US. Had the iphone launched in Europe or Asia, they would not have had anywhere near the success they've enjoyed till now. The terrible quality of iphone competitors inside the US, combined with Apple's ability to muscle concessions from AT&T (including the concession of not requiring various AT&T features) is what made the iPhone successful. That's much harder to pull off outside the US where decent competitors are available, and consumers are far more savvy.

The biggest drawback of the phone, however, is Apple's insistence of selling it locked and usually with only one carrier. This is anathema to consumers in many countries who are used to buying unlocked phones or people who travel a lot and like to switch out sims. More than the other usual complaints, this sales tactic probably had the greatest impact on sales. It's one I hope Apple reverses some day. Certainly, here in Canada they have taken a big step by allowing all the big three telcos to sell the iPhone. However, they haven't gone so far as to sell a unlocked version that I could get at say an Apple Store.

In summary, I think their success has been decent but nothing worth bragging that their competitors are years behind. With new OS' quickly adapting MOSX best features and phone product cycles of only a few months, and significantly better hardware on competitor phones (cameras with flash for example), new competitors are bound to emerge. Individually, none of them might be an 'iphone killer'. After all, who can compete with the Apple brand and marketing machine. But on the whole, the set of competitors that are coming up will surely limit Apple's marketshare in years to come as long as Apple insists on defining the 'experience' for users as opposed to the other way around (which its competitors are doing).

but who else has a comparable Apple ecosystem? that's what you don't seem to get. no one. MS just can't pull it all together. Google is working on something, maybe in two years. nobody else even tries. oh, right, Nokia has dreams.

unlike the competition, the iPhone is not a stand alone device really (even tho you can use it that way). if you got an iPod, AppleTV, Safari, Mac computer, iPhoto, iMovie, MobileMe it hooks up with things they do too. which Apple keeps expanding.
  • Reply 86 of 99
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Another first-post poster who makes zero sense.

It's just a simple "lies, damned lies, and statistics" issue. It's entirely dependent on how you define a "smartphone". The vast majority of Nokia smartphones are NOT used as smartphones --- they are high priced feature phones.

It's that simple, you sign a contract in Europe --- they give you a high-priced N-series phone for free (or at greatly reduced price). They are just feature phones.
  • Reply 87 of 99
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You need to check out how badly Nokia and SonyEricson are doing lately. Nokia has about admitted that they have nothing that competes with the iPhone, SonyEricson is considering getting out of phones.

Quote:

• Reply 88 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You need to check out how badly Nokia and SonyEricson are doing lately. Nokia has about admitted that they have nothing that competes with the iPhone, SonyEricson is considering getting out of phones.

Nokia?s CEO has been very forth coming about the change in the market. Gotta respect that.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nokia sold 4.4 million N-Series phones in the September quarter vs 7.4 million iPhones.

Nokia keeps looking for another N95, which in 2007 had the flash camera etc and failing because they didn't move on from there.

The N95 sold 30 million in it's lifetime, the iPhone sold 21 million in the year ending September 30.

The iPhone is overtaking Nokia's top selling smartphone.

Quote:

• Reply 90 of 99
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Another first-post poster who makes zero sense.

Gotta agree. I failed to read the whole thing and bailed out, though.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Nokia is struggling, not really sinking, just as anybody else in traditional gadget business, may be a little bit better than anyone else. 2009 Q2 objectives are nevertheless achieved.

EUR million.............Q3/2009.....Q3/2008..YoY Change.........Q2/2009..QoQ Change

Net sales....................9 810........12 239........-19.8%..............9 913...........-1.0%

Devices & Services......6 915.........8 605.........-19.6%.............6 586.............5.0%

NAVTEQ........................166............157.. ...........5.7%...............148...........12.2%

Nokia Siemens Networks.2 760......3 504..........-21.2%............3 199..........-13.7%

Operating profit..............741.........1 756..........-57.8%...............775...........-4.4%

Devices & Services.........787.........1 602..........-50.9%...............802...........-1.9%

NAVTEQ...........................43.............29 ............48.3%................19.........126.3%

Nokia Siemens Networks..-53...........177.................................. .....2

Operating margin...........7.6%.........14.3%............... ..................7.8%

Devices & Services.......11.4%.........18.6%................ ...............12.2%

NAVTEQ.......................25.9%.........18.5%.. .............................12.8%

Nokia Siemens Networks.-1.9%..........5.1%................................ 0.1%

EPS, EUR Diluted.............0.17..........0.33............-48.5%............0.15............13.3%
  • Reply 92 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nokia sold 4.4 million N-Series phones in the September quarter vs 7.4 million iPhones.

Nokia keeps looking for another N95, which in 2007 had the flash camera etc and failing because they didn't move on from there.

The N95 sold 30 million in it's lifetime, the iPhone sold 21 million in the year ending September 30.

The iPhone is overtaking Nokia's top selling smartphone.

Why have you just looked at the sales figures of the N Series?
  • Reply 93 of 99
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

All of my Macs, iPods, and iPhones etc. are merely appliances purchased solely to serve me at my convenience, in no way defining who 'I' am as a person.

What I find truly amusing is you rant about others being narcissistic and then interpret the i to be "I" instead of Internet (which is what the i stands for). If you have an issue, I suggest you look no further then the reflection in a mirror....

I stand by my original assessment of you. To simply dismiss mobile.me as "overpriced" is a gross oversimplification and troll-like. It may not be for you, but it certainly has high value to those who get it or need it.

And I couldn't agree with you more that my equipment are tools. Mobile.Me ups the convenience factor significantly by removing any concern for me about where my data is, since it keeps everything synced between my entire infrastructure of computers and my iPhone. Remote access via Back to My Mac worked flawlessly while I was on a trip the previous two weeks, and while I haven't needed it, I have tested the find my iPhone functionality and it worked perfectly too. If you have as many Apple devices as you claim you do, you should give Mobile.Me another whirl - if you have more then two Macs and especially an iPhone as well, it's very, very handy indeed. And heck it will sync with PC's too - although I recently decommissioned my last PC and now just use windows sparingly in a VM.

And you don't have to pay $99 - Amazon routinely has Mobile.Me on sale. I have yet to pay full retail for a year subscription - although even at $100 a year I think it's well worth it. I've certainly got far less value from other services that cost more
  • Reply 94 of 99
    Quote:

I've owned every generation of iPhone but simply find the handset(s) to be little more than adequate 'feature phones' with substandard reception - in my area (Las Vegas, NV)

I call foul. I just spent two weeks out west and the bulk of it in Las Vegas and Boulder City and had excellent performance the entire time I was there. I was in pretty much every corner of the valley as I grew up near Vegas and still have many friends scattered all over town. I drove down I-15 to Los Angeles and then San Diego. I was all up and down the San Diego County coast and the interior of San Diego county and had excellent 3G reception. I was using Pandora, Waze and Google maps constantly as well as web surfing and reading email. The only time I had an issue was between Barstow and Baker; a few times I momentarily lost all signal - but as that's literally the a$$ end of the universe I'm not surprised - and I didn't stay in those area's for long - if you catch my drift....

Do you have a case on your iPhone? Two of my friends that have had iPhone reception issues had cases, and once they removed them and went "naked" their phones magically worked just fine (like mine). I wonder just how many issues are by cases that do an even better job of blocking signal then they do in protecting the phone

And if you think the iPhone is just a "feature phone" - as the old "sex hurts" jokes go, your doing it wrong....
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Quote:

t's represents the absolute state-of-the art in handset UI design/execution, and Android (tm) is shaping up to be the mobile OS to beat.

Lipstick on a pig. Still a pig underneath. If you are right, then in six months sales should bare your oversimplifications and generalizations about fluff UI out.

I'm not worried, and I doubt Apple is overly concerned either. Will it spur them? Probably - but they haven't been exactly sitting still either. Where the heck was the rest of the industry with all this "amazing" technology before Apple arrived?
  • Reply 96 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Steuber View Post

Frankly, as a phone, the iPhone is not really that good. It's got some usability issues. You have to look at the display to make a call. And which number did that person in my contacts just call me from? (perhaps I missed a feature there). And others I won't bore you with.

I dunno. I agree heartily that it is annoying it doesn't show the number while the call is in progress, but in the recents list you can tap the arrow to the right and it will take you to the contact for the person and highlight the number that called you. It's not obvious and took me a bit to discover it, but it is there.

I think overall the iPhone as a phone is decent. The Voicemail and three way calling are the easiest of any phone I have ever used - and as I get stuck on conference calls and sometimes have to add people, the ad-hoc call features to add and drop people are wonderful. The iPhone's phone app is certainly better then the HTC or Palm Treo phone apps under Windows Mobile.

Looking at the display could have been fixed with voice dialing. I think it's outrageous that feature is only available on the 3Gs but oh well - the next generation hardware that I will be upgrading to the next go around will no doubt have it, so it's just a temporary annoyance.

Quote:

COMPUTER!

For me, with Mobile.Me the push email and seamless syncing with all my Mac's is incredible. Plugging in my Windows Mobile phone and hoping for the best got annoying after a while. And since there was little I could do with it beyond making calls, there really wasn't a need to constantly sync it. I do wish Apple would support WiFi sync - as soon as I get into my house with my home WiFi it should sync without me having to do anything. Here's to hoping for a future update....
  • Reply 97 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple runs a closed ship, probably why the iPhone isn't very 'open' but no one can deny it's success. The fact that it's un-customisable kinda adds to the phone's ubiquity - it's easy to recognise if someone has an iPhone upon hearing their ringtone!

Huh? The iPhone is one of the easiest phones to get ringtones on - either by purchasing them or creating your own and loading them into iTunes. They just sync over. From there you can assign a different one per person if you want.

Personally I hate ringtones and almost always have my phone on vibrate, but if it floats your boat the phone is certainly customizable...
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Huh? The iPhone is one of the easiest phones to get ringtones on - either by purchasing them or creating your own and loading them into iTunes. They just sync over. From there you can assign a different one per person if you want.

Personally I hate ringtones and almost always have my phone on vibrate, but if it floats your boat the phone is certainly customizable...

I just got my iphone(3GS) today(yesterday), how do I get ringtones via itunes or however else you can get ringtones, thanks.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post

I just got my iphone(3GS) today(yesterday), how do I get ringtones via itunes or however else you can get ringtones, thanks.

You can buy them, get an app to automate it or create your own:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ne+garage+band