Google reveals Android 2.0 features, updates

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post

right right - how many millions of downloads? how many polished apps? how many purchases? please provide some stats to back up your claims.

The average number I've seen being used is 10,000 apps in the Android Marketplace. And it doesn't give total numbers, but I found this interesting:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-...loper-activity
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

The average number I've seen being used is 10,000 apps in the Android Marketplace. And it doesn't give total numbers, but I found this interesting:

Thats right, reliable numbers for both total application (free and paid) and their respective downloads, usage patterns and life spans are difficult to get. This applies to both markets.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Thats right, reliable numbers for both total application (free and paid) and their respective downloads, usage patterns and life spans are difficult to get. This applies to both markets.

At the very least, the article (there are other copies from different sources out there too) shows that Android is not a "curiosity", as some of the users here have said. 10,000 apps with a 94% increase in development between two months reflects a lot of interest in developing for Android.

It may not have the same quantity of apps, but the fact that Google has made it easy to port over iPhone apps for Android and that some developers are even developing Android apps first and then porting over to the iPhone, speaks lots.

The release of 50+ different phones, all running Android, casts a huge net to grab the attention of users. And have you seen some of the phones coming out around the world that will run Android?! They all have hardware specs that can make anyone drool. Many phones on different carriers all running a unified OS will definitely help Android. Analyists are already projecting Android (as an OS) to be on more devices than the iPhone by 2012.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

At the very least, the article (there are other copies from different sources out there too) shows that Android is not a "curiosity", as some of the users here have said. 10,000 apps with a 94% increase in development between two months reflects a lot of interest in developing for Android.

It may not have the same quantity of apps, but the fact that Google has made it easy to port over iPhone apps for Android and that some developers are even developing Android apps first and then porting over to the iPhone, speaks lots.

The release of 50+ different phones, all running Android, casts a huge net to grab the attention of users. And have you seen some of the phones coming out around the world that will run Android?! They all have hardware specs that can make anyone drool. Many phones on different carriers all running a unified OS will definitely help Android. Analyists are already projecting Android (as an OS) to be on more devices than the iPhone by 2012.

The Android SDK?s and App Store is certainly gaining in popularity. I suspect it?s direct competitor is the not the iPhone, but other smartphone OSes that aren?t faring so well these days. The apps are cheap and easy to make, but if they are limited to Java then it means they are starting out behind the iPhone SDK. This becomes more of a problem as HW gets faster. Is Google going to stick with Java-only development for 3rd-parties or is a more robust platform being planned?
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Android SDK?s and App Store is certainly gaining in popularity. I suspect it?s direct competitor is the not the iPhone, but other smartphone OSes that aren?t faring so well these days. The apps are cheap and easy to make, but if they are limited to Java then it means they are starting out behind the iPhone SDK. This becomes more of a problem as HW gets faster. Is Google going to stick with Java-only development for 3rd-parties or is a more robust platform being planned?

That's a good question. Maybe for Flan (Adroid 3.0)?
  • Reply 46 of 59
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

OK that's not true. not even possible. but that's OK - hype it up to justify the constant memory clogging and task management you have to do.

Thanks, you know more than me about my experience with my terminals.

Ah, iPhone 3G has 128MB of memory and the Hero has 288MB
  • Reply 47 of 59
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Is Google going to stick with Java-only development for 3rd-parties or is a more robust platform being planned?

Since June it has a native C/C++ dev kit, with its limitations.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...cc-dev-kit.ars
  • Reply 48 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Since June it has a native C/C++ dev kit, with its limitations.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...cc-dev-kit.ars

Nice! You weren?t kidding about the limitations, but I assume those will be dropped as it matures. Here?s hoping...
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Why do you think that Java development is behind iPhone SDK ? Except of some games and similar high performance applications Java does just fine. As mentioned there is also a Native SDK for Android, but most applications don't really need it.

The number of developers who know how to program in Java is generally much higher than those with Obj-C. Also Obj-C with manual memory management, separate header files and horrible XCode application looks a bit ancient.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What happens when the person has 3 phone numbers? Which one does it dial when you click their picture?

The one that you assigned. You may use the same picture of given person and mask with 3 different images (e.g. cell phone) to get 3 entries in the dialer. But I would not do it for too many contacts. Only for most frequently dialed.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Also Obj-C with manual memory management, separate header files and horrible XCode application looks a bit ancient.

ObjC has garbage collection in 2.0. Wish it didn't have header files. I prefer XCode over Eclipse.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

It could be true. For a little while the PS3 "outperformed" the PS2 (in the respective time since its launch). The problem is that both the PS2 and the iPhone app store ramped quickly after that initial period. That and no one really cares about "respective time since launch" if it doesn't overtake the competition. It's kinda like beating Lance Armstrong for the 1st couple stages of the tour de france. Mkay, that's nice. Didya beat him to the finish line? Only 2 guys did his 1st year back from retirement...

That's why I asked how many polished apps, etc. to allow for the late start
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:

The comparison of the stats has been published on various places, I guess it was also mentioned here. Should I really search it for you ?

And note, talking about the relative time from the start of the respective app markets, not the current state of AppStore (which is definitely a success for Apple). I leave the initial "all we need is Safari web applications" iPhone period out.

if someone makes a claim yes it's up to them to provide links. thanks in advance for providing the link which you alluded to.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

ObjC has garbage collection in 2.0. Wish it didn't have header files. I prefer XCode over Eclipse.

ObjC on iPhone doesn't have GC. Also the dealing with pointers is more challenging compared to Java. But I don't want to start a flamewar on that, there might be people who really love ObjC.

Out of curiosity : what makes you prefer XCode over Eclipse ? I really miss incremental compilation and refactoring and code completion is way better in Eclipse. Am I missing something ?
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

if someone makes a claim yes it's up to them to provide links. thanks in advance for providing the link which you alluded to.

Found this one : http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/23...t-should-they/

But there was also a different one (at the Appleinsider) with data for a longer period. Possibly I'll find it for you, don't have time now.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:

you just proved there is nothing special about it. everything you said you like doing on the android phone can be done on the iphone and it has better touch interface. and in australia i think you would love the iphone because you can use it with ALL carriers. Cheers

Im really not so sure Id want an iPhone even IF I could use it on any carrier. I was on ATT and could have gotten on then, and didnt. It hasn't really interested me.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

ObjC on iPhone doesn't have GC.

My bad.

Quote:

Also the dealing with pointers is more challenging compared to Java. But I don't want to start a flamewar on that, there might be people who really love ObjC.

I'm not one of them. Then again Java drives me batty too.

Quote:

Out of curiosity : what makes you prefer XCode over Eclipse ? I really miss incremental compilation and refactoring and code completion is way better in Eclipse. Am I missing something ?

The random "I'm going to just sit here for no apparent reason" thing that Eclipse does every so often and when the code completion decides to kick in (very sloooooowly) when I'm backspacing sometimes. The refactoring also isn't as great as it could be sometimes. And the layout is just meh to me with a lot of tasks hidden deeply in a menu or uses some obscure key combination. Plus a lot of plugins in Eclipse just worked poorly together or not at all. Netbeans was a lot more consistent in that area.

I prefer netbeans but haven't used it day to day in a while. Actually I prefer VS most. XCode is just smoother for me than Eclipse but I also don't bang on it as much. I would rank them VS, IntelliJ/XCode, Netbeans, Eclipse but IDEs are a personal thing.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

It's amazing how easy is insulting others choices. Geeks, fanbois, basement monitors.

Sometimes I'm embarrased of having Apple products because those comments. People which have chosen not using some Apple product are geeks, fanbois, nerds, etc.

Huh. But the constant drum beat of abuse towards Apple users, as fan boys and sheeple and Kool-aid drinkers and posers, here and across the tech-centric web, doesn't bother you much.

Funny, you never see Apple bashers "embarrassed" about the level of bullying, do you? Why is that, do you suppose?
  • Reply 59 of 59
    I've read a lot of reports, including on MobileCrunch/TechCrunch, that this version of the Droid is definitely a contender for the iPhone. I'm curious how well it will actually sell. Will people hold out until the iPhone comes to Verizon?