How Long Until Windows 7 Really Works?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As you all know Windows 7 is still in alpha-testing even though you can buy it in stores for a ton of money. Given that usually 1 year has to pass until their shit OS works OK (for windows standards), how long you think it is going to be this time?

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/5846497

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    The better question is how long until Windows 7 doesn't work? All MS operating systems self destruct after millions of security patches, service packs, and registry corruptions. They don't last.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    How long until that guy in the video puts some WD-40 on that chair!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    From trying my experience with the Beta and RC, it works perfectly fine right now.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    you should of had an option

when windows 8 is announced
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Guys and gals, Windows 7 works right now and is one of the best OS's Microsoft has released. Windows 7 64-bit isn't too bad, really, it's still Windows, but will probably go down in history as the best Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cMEJikAblI

This is a video of a live broadcast shown in Japan, where the reporter was trying to demonstrate how cool Windows 7 is. Only thing is, it didn't work for him. Even funnier, they experienced the same thing the previous night on the same channel and the older guy is saying that perhaps Windows has something against Fuji TV. The woman in a black suit is the MS rep who's supposed to be coaching the reporter on what to do but even she finally gave up.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Guys and gals, Windows 7 works right now and is one of the best OS's Microsoft has released. Windows 7 64-bit isn't too bad, really, it's still Windows, but will probably go down in history as the best Windows.

Why? Because it will be the last windows?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Rule of thumb for Windows OSes:

Always wait for the 2nd Service Pack.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    What a loaded Poll

Sure XP is a dinosaur that was/is garbage in regards to security, usability and UI design while Vista was a true "bag of hurt" out the gate but I can say MS finally did a good job on an OS launch with Win7. Vista was probably the worst launch since Windows ME (shudder) so I can't argue its detractors but seriously give Win7 a try you will be surprised at how fast it boots/sleeps/wakes and opens/closes apps. Even networking is fast and (almost) painless.

Sure it won't make you leave OSX (and it shouldn't anyway no matter how good it was) but if you need to use it from time to time you don't have to drink heavily beforehand anymore.

Apple is going to have to start attacking something other than 'it just works'. (Snow Leopard wasn't exactly fantastic at launch) All they have to do is keep attacking hardware manufactures.. the competition in build quality from Dell, HP etc is a joke compared to the Macbook Pro line.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Give it a year. MS can't be that stupid, even after all that has happened to not perfect it in another 12 months.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Give it a century. MS can be that stupid, even after all that has happened to not perfect it in another 12 months.

Fixed!!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I'm not sure that I totally agree with the premise of the original post. Since 2004, when I bought my first Mac (an iBook with Tiger), my Windows skills have eroded significantly. With bootcamp and the virtualization solutions, I've managed to keep one foot in the Windows world, but I still can't do the magic with it that I once used to. Vista came and passed me by. When I installed the release candidate for Windows 7, I was stunned by how easily it went. After continuing to play with it for several months, I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft has a successful operating system on their hands.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

As you all know Windows 7 is still in alpha-testing even though you can buy it in stores for a ton of money. Given that usually 1 year has to pass until their shit OS works OK (for windows standards), how long you think it is going to be this time?

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/5846497

Actually I think you'll find that Win 7 is a very stable, very fast, and generally very nice OS. Sorry if that hurts your fanboy pride, but it happens to be true. Read the reviews, heck, try it for yourself. Win 7 is a good OS, it's as simple as that.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Actually I think you'll find that Win 7 is a very stable, very fast, and generally very nice OS. Sorry if that hurts your fanboy pride, but it happens to be true. Read the reviews, heck, try it for yourself. Win 7 is a good OS, it's as simple as that.

I completely agree, simple as that .

The reason I know is we recently upgraded my wife's Vista PC to Windows 7. She despised Vista from the very first day. I'm thinking she's been pleased with 7 since the upgrade, and now feels she can be productive with her PC rather than constantly fight the OS in order to do anything.

I will, of course, remain with my Apple Macs and OS X, Leopard and Snow Leopard .
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSin View Post

I completely agree, simple as that .

The reason I know is we recently upgraded my wife's Vista PC to Windows 7. She despised Vista from the very first day. I'm thinking she's been pleased with 7 since the upgrade, and now feels she can be productive with her PC rather than constantly fight the OS in order to do anything.

I will, of course, remain with my Apple Macs and OS X, Leopard and Snow Leopard .

Isn't wife abuse against the law?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Isn't wife abuse against the law?

Most likely. In this case, and in my defense, it was her choice to remain on the dark side \. I'm convinced she will eventually see the light and make the move to the Mighty Mac !
  • Reply 17 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

people will after the 6th reboot and reinstall, my IT manager tried too after 3 wipes, 6 rebooks, and 2 install attempts he got support info from MY MAC, he was mortified, but he is close to the light---he has an iphone
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I've seen the same thing. Windows 7 just works. Heck, if I were in need of a new computer, I'd have a tough time saying for certain that I'd stick with OS X. The enhanced taskbar can meet my the window and app managing needs, and there are virtual desktop implementations and Cygwin to fill in for my other Mac OS-provided needs. Other than the command key, none of my habits from System 7 and OS 8 are around anymore, so I don't even feel there's anything to my previous "I've used Macs my whole life and I like my routine" arguments. I think Windows 7 is gonna be a hit.