Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Don't bet on it.

I already have by going long on Google.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I agree that at the end there will be three types of phones: iPhone, Android Phone, and WinMo Phone.

I have to agree with Anonymouse, WinMo is falling too quickly to be a contender again without some serious reworking and lot of time.. I don?t see MS dropping it, they?ll get someone build a phone around their mobile OS or just drop everyone like they did PlayForSure and make their own Zune phone, which is what I hope they will do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

My bet is that the NDK will be the app environment of choice in Android within a year or two.

I think that sounds about right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

This is one of the early Android prototypes:

image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rly_device.jpg

A year later, everything Android was touchscreen. That's a basically a declaration of war to me.

Wow! I can?t ever imagine using a phone like that again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Don't bet on it.

I wasn?t sure it that was a real post of just trolling.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have to agree with Anonymouse, WinMo is falling too quickly to be a contender again without some serious reworking and lot of time.. I don’t see MS dropping it, they’ll get someone build a phone around their mobile OS or just drop everyone like they did PlayForSure and make their own Zune phone, which is what I hope they will do.

I think that sounds about right.

Wow! I can’t ever imagine using a phone like that again.

I wasn’t sure it that was a real post of just trolling.

The subject Title is comparing the iPhone to Android. It can't be called trolling if you're giving your opinion.

Steve made a ton of money for people paying way too much for being elite and letting Steve Jobs tell them what they want.

Google is making a ton of money by just giving the consumers what they have asked for.

The Future.
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Java and Flash can just disappear as far as I am concerned -- keep them off the iPhone and keep more native speeds, thank you.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    So HOW did this article omit Web OS and Windows Mobile?
  • Reply 26 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Java and Flash can just disappear as far as I am concerned -- keep them off the iPhone and keep more native speeds, thank you.

That is the exact thinking that will keep Apple from advancing anymore.

HTML5 is years away from being common regardless of what Steve Jobs tells everyone.

Adobe made it simple for all to see that on the iPhone Apple is blocking it. Thank You Adobe for letting the world know that it's Apple that is holding back technology that Adobe has made available. If Apple wants it to work better on their products then Apple needs to work with a partner to give optimal performance. Steve doesn't want Flash.

That is the final nail in the coffin. Every other mobile phone will have Flash but the iPhone.

Apple is trying to hold all of the cards and it's deck is getting smaller with each move they make. Steve doesn't like partners. He wants it all, vendors and consumers are tired of it.

RFID Chip the iPhone and loose more customers.

This has been in the work for years and Google has continued to build partners in every sector. Apple burns bridges with vendors.

If you are going short in the Market. Apple is a great play. If you are going long then Google is for your 401k.

Steve dies and Apple stock sinks. What average consumer even knows who the CEO of Google is.

Google is on a company buying frenzy. Apple is on a Patent a day frenzy.

Apple is trying to patent air. Steve will give it to you if you buy it from iTunes.

Who's the evil one in the market these days?...
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CloudFuture View Post

It can't be called trolling if you're giving your opinion.

Sure it can. Trolling is simply a matter of intent.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Quote:

The subject Title is comparing the iPhone to Android. It can't be called trolling if you're giving your opinion.

Steve made a ton of money for people paying way too much for being elite and letting Steve Jobs tell them what they want.

Google is making a ton of money by just giving the consumers what they have asked for.

The Future.

A future where different versions on different phones with different features completely confuses the common consumer? Which versions of which Android implementation is a particular App written for? Some phones use one UI, some another, some a bland vanilla version of Android.. One bad implementation of Android combined with a draconian cancellation fee could sour an entire group to Android. You might expect a consumer to not cast such general aspersions on an entire platform, but if the pain was significant enough, most will just associate 'Android' with 'bad experience'.

The network problems associated with the iPhone and AT&T are not the same. Most people aren't as quick to associate dropped calls and bad signal to the hardware itself.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sure it can. Trolling is simply a matter of intent.

So is blind devotion AnyMouse. It hurts the room for the same reason.

As does your average posting.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:

That's for sure. RFIDs in the iPhone will be just another reason for those "government's tracking me" nuts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

A future where different versions on different phones with different features completely confuses the common consumer? Which versions of which Android implementation is a particular App written for? Some phones use one UI, some another, some a bland vanilla version of Android.. One bad implementation of Android combined with a draconian cancellation fee could sour an entire group to Android. You might expect a consumer to not cast such general aspersions on an entire platform, but if the pain was significant enough, most will just associate 'Android' with 'bad experience'.

The network problems associated with the iPhone and AT&T are not the same. Most people aren't as quick to associate dropped calls and bad signal to the hardware itself.

I'm kind of confused about how the GUI would affect if an app would work or not. The custom GUI only changes how the user gets to the app, not the app itself. Additionally, with the Eclair SDK, it's been shown that you can write an app and it'll function as intended, regardless of the resolution, screen size, or GUI for that matter. Shown at the 1:25 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opZ69P-0Jbc
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

If you really think that then you know nothing of Google's partnerships with their vendors.

You may say the same thing for the early Window's users but Google has covered it's basis by clearly defining what each phone based on specs can use what features of Androids features.

Google is Microsoft of the new centurey but they have a much broader partnership a (strangle hold some might say) on how the market develops.

It's not just phones. It's OS's, PMP, TV boxes, TV's, Tablets, EBook developers.

While Steve was sitting on his pile of cash Google was very busy coverying all basis of every sector of your life.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    Quote:

That is the final nail in the coffin. Every other mobile phone will have Flash but the iPhone.

Yes, Flash is so essential to the mobile phone experience.

Quote:

Google? You? Kim Jong Il? Oh, I'm all confused now.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:

The room seems a little quiet and I seem to read fear of the future for Apple.

I think Fortune was saying good bye to the past and thanks for everything with the award.

The Future does seem to all about 100's of phones on all carriers and application developers climbing over each other to get on the Google Wave.

Good Bye Steve...

It was nice knowing you. The 90's all over again and still a closed system. You'd think Steve Jobs would be smarter 20 years later.

But he's a billionaire now he doesn't really need the money anymore.

Underestimate Apple at your own peril.

Ballmer did. Balsilie did. Kallasvuo did. Colligan did.

Schmidt's next.

It's been two years and the iPhone is only gaining in popularity. Apple is about to overtake RIM, unless Balsilie can pull a rabbit out of his button-festooned clickety-click-click hat. Nokia is in a downward slide. Windows Mobile went from goliath to garden gnome almost overnight. Palm is in ruins.

All because of the iPhone. One device. Not hundreds of devices running different versions of a knockoff mobile OS, but ONE device, running a single, dedicated operating system.

Motorola had better offer something revolutionary right out of the gate. And I don't mean a free GPS app, better camera, and a browser that doesn't do multitouch. It needs to redefine the game or no one outside tech forums and Android's developers will care.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That's for sure. RFIDs in the iPhone will be just another reason for those "government's tracking me" nuts.

Actually, with the Eclair SDK, it's been shown that you can write an app and it'll function as intended, regardless of the resolution, screen size, or GUI for that matter. Shown at the 1:25 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opZ69P-0Jbc

The OS is not resolution dependent nor screen size dependent. It's not even dependent on GSM or CDMA or LTE. It can currently handle all of them with Eclair.

What does the next pastry have in store for us? Google has already spelled it out so everyone can benefit from it.

Apple continues to hide its secrets. Hell, You don't even really know if there is a tablet out there and if so what Apple has intended for it.

Single solution for a single product VS sharing future SDK's and features so the next gen of chips and phones, computers, netbooks, eReaders, etc. can use the features.

Open VS Closed. Open wins and that is why I've moved a large portion of my portfolio to Google. I'm young enough to wait for the return.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Quote:

I think Fortune was saying good bye to the past and thanks for everything with the award.

The Future does seem to all about 100's of phones on all carriers and application developers climbing over each other to get on the Google Wave.

Good Bye Steve...

It was nice knowing you. The 90's all over again and still a closed system. You'd think Steve Jobs would be smarter 20 years later.

Sure,

I'ts just like Palm killing off Windows Mobile. That went well didn't it.

It's not the 90's. Check the numbers. In the 90's, NOBODY was buying Macs anymore.

The Centris, Performa and Quadra were underpowered and bloated and looked like crap.

Software support was nill, and Apple was out of ideas due to their NIH mentality. Projects that were to be cancelled were still being worked on due to stubborn engineers. CEO's had the "Ballmer" syndrome and thought the public will buy anything they cram down their throats.

Today we have a different scenario. Microsoft is actually scared of Apple, even though they have 95% of the market and in the 90's they could have cared less about Apple and only helped them out due to several lawsuits against them and the threat of the DOJ coming after them due to killing Netscape.

Now we have a situation where Apple has to keep innovating to keep their lead. This is a good thing. Without Google to give them a little competition, they can backslide and turn into MS. The Appstore is a decent way for talented programmers to make some money pretty easily. Right now, Google is just a software company, So, like Microsoft, they are dependent on the handset manufacturers to get it right. Verizon had to visit Motorola several times to get the Droid the way they wanted it. Ironcially, a lot of the early reviews claim that the phone part of the Droid is terrible.

It's going to take another generation of Android handsets and software upgrades before it could give Apple some grief. Although, thats only if Apple rests on their laurels with the 3GS, which you know they won't. It's hard to hit a moving target.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Schmidt's next.

It's been two years and the iPhone is only gaining in popularity. Apple is about to overtake RIM, unless Balsilie can pull a rabbit out of his button-festooned clickety-click-click hat. Nokia is in a downward slide. Windows Mobile went from goliath to garden gnome almost overnight. Palm is in ruins.

All because of the iPhone. One device. Not hundreds of devices running different versions of a knockoff mobile OS, but ONE device, running a single, dedicated operating system.

Motorola had better offer something revolutionary right out of the gate. And I don't mean a free GPS app, better camera, and a browser that doesn't do multitouch. It needs to redefine the game or no one outside tech forums and Android's developers will care.

Now CloudedFuture would never agree with that!
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Sure,

I'ts just like Palm killing off Windows Mobile. That went well didn't it.

It's not the 90's. Check the numbers. In the 90's, NOBODY was buying Macs anymore.

The Centris, Performa and Quadra were underpowered and bloated and looked like crap.

Software support was nill, and Apple was out of ideas due to their NIH mentality. Projects that were to be cancelled were still being worked on due to stubborn engineers. CEO's had the "Ballmer" syndrome and thought the public will buy anything they cram down their throats.

Today we have a different scenario. Microsoft is actually scared of Apple, even though they have 95% of the market and in the 90's they could have cared less about Apple and only helped them out due to several lawsuits against them and the threat of the DOJ coming after them due to killing Netscape.

Now we have a situation where Apple has to keep innovating to keep their lead. This is a good thing. Without Google to give them a little competition, they can backslide and turn into MS. The Appstore is a decent way for talented programmers to make some money pretty easily. Right now, Google is just a software company, So, like Microsoft, they are dependent on the handset manufacturers to get it right. Verizon had to visit Motorola several times to get the Droid the way they wanted it. Ironcially, a lot of the early reviews claim that the phone part of the Droid is terrible.

It's going to take another generation of Android handsets and software upgrades before it could give Apple some grief. Although, thats only if Apple rests on their laurels with the 3GS, which you know they won't. It's hard to hit a moving target.

It's not the 90's anymore and Apple is still operating under the same tactics.

Google could care less about Microsoft, Apple or Palm for that matter.

All closed OS's that are the past. Give developers 100's of devices to develop for and the future is written all over again.

Edit.

Quote:

So, like Microsoft, they are dependent on the handset manufacturers to get it right

It worked great for MS on the desktop. Google, unlike MS has been planning this for years & has every platform covered. Where is the future?

It's in your toaster, phone, TV, name it and Google has planned for all of them.

Developing for 1 platfrom or every platform. As a devoper what would you program for?
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Schmidt's next.

Neither side should underestimate the other. Google has a lot of untapped potential and is actively creeping into segments of the market other than smartphones. To ignore this puts you in the same boat as the people who ignored the iPhone when it was first displayed to the world. The fact that the iPhone is successful because of certain Google products speaks for itself. The way Android allows the manufacturer of a product to shape the GUI however they like makes it even harder to know that it's an Android-powered device.

How's about the whole integrated search thing? The thing that Google is known best for (hell, internet searching is by default called "Googling" now). You don't need to know a specific address or even the known location of an event anymore. The searching via the Google cloud of information to pull a specific piece of information from a very broad search input is pretty game changing in my mind. And to use it to navigate even more so. So far, from all the reviews I've read, the search has worked almost perfectly (and voice recognition just as well).
  • Reply 39 of 127
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Good Bye Steve...

You're reading too much into it. Jobs is fine with low market share. He understands the game. You honestly think he doesn't?

As long as Apple achieves most of the profits, they really don't care what their market share is. This is perfectly achievable with the current market dynamics. If they achieve say 7-10 percent of the total phone market but 50+ percent of the so-called smartphone market, they will have 50+ of the profits in the mobile industry. If this happens, their stock will double again.

Dan makes an interesting point about how mobile vendors are rallying around Android as Symbian, WM and various incarnations of Linux are cratering under the inertia of the iPhone and Blackberry. That's a big plus for Android. But you have to remember that his point is that Android isn't like MS Windows and Google isn't like MS. What Google wants is ad revenue through their multitude of services. So Google's number 1 goal is to get as many eyeballs on Google services as they can. They are perfectly happy with WebOS, AndroidOS, iPhone OS X, WM, Symbian, Maemo, LiMo, whatever dominating the market as long as they use Google services.

Since hardware vendors will try to create their own brands when using Android (Google, Moto, HTC, Samsung, SE, LG will all have they own UI layer and branding) with their own versions of hardware and Android software. This will create fiefdoms, not unification.

In this type of environment, Apple can win the majority of customers and profits. The fact that Google will allow such customization will fracture the app development market. The specs on the Moto DROID are cool and all, but many if not a large majority of apps will look like crap on the DROID's 16:9 854x480 screen when all Android apps are currently designed for 3:2 480x320 screens. It will only get worse as more and more vendors use different spec hardware.

This will also create an environment where abandoning Android will be very easy. There isn't anything driving vendor lock-in in the mobile market. Not any that I can see. There isn't a killer app that has lock-in data and data formats. There isn't a killer market that locks in a consumer.

Apple and Google definitely are dancing about this. Their business models don't directly compete (Google sells advertising, Apple sells hardware), but there is a bit overlap and they'll be doing the frenemy dance for awhile.

I am interested in seeing if the likes of Nokia, MS, Yahoo, Amazon, GPS vendors, and others respond to Google. Are they going to band together and oppose Google's core business by providing an advertising business themselves? Nokia and MS are getting closer together. Nokia using MS services would be amazing competition for Google, assuming Nokia abandons their own services ambitions. Nokia and MS collaborate at that level, it will be much easier for Samsung, SE, and LG to be folded in.

Apple will always beat to their own drum.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is the exact thinking that will keep Apple from advancing anymore.

How did they advance in the first place with that thinking? How are they taking ⅓ of every dollor for the entire worldwide handset market, not just smartphones? How are growing so much faster than every other company while selling a premium product?

Quote:

HTML5 is years away from being common regardless of what Steve Jobs tells everyone.

All the web browsers are adding support for HTML5, including IE, though less quickly as others. Most of the others are adding support quickly. If you look at mobile market and what browsers are being used the most you see that mobileSafari is king. Android Browser will be the 2nd most used within a year and should jump to #1, but that will be the two most prolific and internet friendly mobileBrowsers using WebKit. Then you have WebOS, BlackberryOS and others using WebKit.

That is just the near future of the mobile market. ChromeOS, coming next year, is dependent on it, and Safari, Firefox and Opera are all incorporating HTML5 quickly.

Quote:

Adobe made it simple for all to see that on the iPhone Apple is blocking it. Thank You Adobe for letting the world know that it's Apple that is holding back technology that Adobe has made available. If Apple wants it to work better on their products then Apple needs to work with a partner to give optimal performance. Steve doesn't want Flash.

How is Apple blocking Flash on Android, WinMo, Symbian, WebOS and BB OS? What did Apple do to keep Flash off these mobile OSes until some quasi-promised date in mid-2010? The only thing Apple doesn?t allow is interpreted code on the iPhone, but Jobs has stated that FlashLite is not a viable version of Flash for anything but ads and Flash won?t run on the this mobile HW. Adobe can?t even make a viable version of Flash for desktop OS X, so how could they make a viable version for mobile OS X? How much does CPU does Flash use on your Windows PC when running a 480p video on Hulu? Now think about that for a mobile OS. Adobe is the one who didn?t have their shit together, not Apple. Don?t reward negligent companies!

Quote:

It might get it if it?s good enough, but I doubt it. I don?t think Adobe can make Flash video?inarguably the single most important reason to have Flash?viable for any of the current mobile HW. We?ll see reviews and you?ll see what I mean. For comaprison, I can?t even run 480p Hulu videos on my 1.8Ghz Atom netbook with WinXP SP3.

Quote:

Apple is trying to hold all of the cards and it's deck is getting smaller with each move they make. Steve doesn't like partners. He wants it all, vendors and consumers are tired of it.

Explain to me how excessive growth in unit sales and profit translates to ?getting smaller??

Quote:

Why actually would people not buy a phone that included an optional use feature?

Quote:

This has been in the work for years and Google has continued to build partners in every sector. Apple burns bridges with vendors.

Apple has plenty of partners. Apple is a vendor. If you mean the component and raw material vendors then you don?t know what paying large sums of money in advance can do to put smiles on executive faces.

Quote:

If you are going short in the Market. Apple is a great play. If you are going long then Google is for your 401k.

See now, how else can I not think you are just trolling for an argument with comments like that? Apple recently beat Google?s market cap. That?s right, they are valued more than Google. Apple will be beating out Microsoft?s valuation within 18 months.

Quote:

Steve dies and Apple stock sinks. What average consumer even knows who the CEO of Google is.

Jobs was out for the first half of the year with liver cancer and a chance of dying and the company did nothing but grow. As for Google?s CEO, it?s fairly quite common knowledge for many people, even outside of the tech and business sectors. Your implication that because Jobs? namesake is more known that it means Apple is a shitty company is proof that you are trolling.

Quote:

Google is on a company buying frenzy. Apple is on a Patent a day frenzy.

Apple is trying to patent air. Steve will give it to you if you buy it from iTunes.

Apple is building for the future by innovating. Google is buying other companies? IP. Actually, they both do both, and both can be very successful strategies, but buying companies costs money and can negatively affect the stock price.

Quote:

Why does one have to be evil and one have to good? Both are publicly traded companies. They have responsibilities to their shareholders. If you like a product, buy it. If you don?t, then don?t buy it. It?s really simple.