First-known iPhone worm 'Rickrolls' jailbroken Apple handsets

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not at all, because very specific things have to happen. First, they have to jailbreak their iPhone or Touch, but that alone will not allow this worm to enter your phone. Second, they have had to installed and turned on OpenSSH, which is not installed by default. Only when those two things are done without the user being wise enough to then change the root password will this “backdoor" be unlocked.

Well I was talking in more general terms, but I don't think even this specific example invalidates my argument.

The prevalence and ease of jail-breaking in general and it's use by perhaps "irresponsible" or non-technical users, combined with the existence of an SSH app that installs root by default and requires action by this same hypothetical, non-technical, "dumb", or irresponsible user to turn off the threat by changing their password is a recipe for disaster.

I would just repeat my assertion that while jail-breaking by itself, in the hands of a capable, responsible user is not not technically dangerous, the prevalence of it, the ease of use, and the fact that it's basically being put in the hands of idiots makes the phenomenon of jail-breaking overall a sort of scourge. I'm arguing that completely outside of this issue of the SSH worm, jail-breaking is a problem in general (in regards security and criminality), for those reasons.

In other words the reality is quite different from the theory, just as it is in the gun ownership metaphor I was using to illustrate.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I think your post is kind of nonsensical overall, but this part sticks out the most.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

... there are several other things I like to do with it such as haptic feedback and new SMS chirps.

Other than making the phone vibrate, there is no haptic feedback on the iPhone. It's a hardware feature that cannot be achieved through a software hack.

If you're talking about an app that makes the phone vibrate when you press a key on the screen, that's not haptic feedback. Haptic feedback has to do with proprioception and touch feedback loops. Just having the phone vibrate is not at all the same thing.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think your post is kind of nonsensical overall, but this part sticks out the most.

Other than making the phone vibrate, there is no haptic feedback on the iPhone. It's a hardware feature that cannot be achieved through a software hack.

If you're talking about an app that makes the phone vibrate when you press a key on the screen, that's not haptic feedback. Haptic feedback has to do with proprioception and touch feedback loops. Just having the phone vibrate is not at all the same thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wikipedia

Haptic technology refers to technology that interfaces to the user via the sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user[1].

Apparently it does count as haptic feedback, albeit a very basic form from what I understand.

I'd like to understand what was so nonsensical in my post about the subject at hand though however, and clear up what I was trying to say if you had a hard time understanding.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slu View Post

And Apple has these "locks" not to protect you, but to protect themselves. They want you locked into the App Store. Apple is out to protect it's investment.

Now don't get me wrong, i don't mind the concept of jail-breaking in order to expand functionality. If ppl are comfortable with the process and maintenance required, go for it. I just don't see what is wrong with apple protecting their investment - they are under no obligation to make it an open environment, it's their ecosystem.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Perhaps you would be better off leaving the "control freak" environment of the iPhone and take up one of Google's offerings, I'm sure the companies that pay them for advertising are itching to get their hands on information about everything web-based you do and everyone you know who is in your contacts.

Where is your paranoia medication for today ?

I talked about a different thing : Mac OS X is "jail-broken" by default and nobody considers this as security problem. The only reason iPhone is different is to lock you to using AppStore and it is really funny to see people be parrots of Apple's reasoning there.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Quote:

This problem is only with unknowledgeable jailbreakers, not with jailbreakers at large or the iPhone. There is even an App Store developer in trouble for snagging contacts, but Apple?s model is setup to deal with such eventualities. The Android NDK and Marketplace are innately much less secure. If the platform becomes successful, which I think it will, I think we?ll see trojan horse apps, worms and viruses explode on Android. I hope I?m wrong.

Is it just you wanting Android to fail or you have any evidence to back your claim ? I don't think Android Market is that much less secure. There is no review process, this is left to community (reviews). But there are means to make you responsible for any malcontent as it is with the AppStore. Since the applications you submit to AppStore are not in the source code form, it is quite possible to fool the reviewer, so you are not on the completely safe side with iPhone either.

BTW : Android NDK is quite limited (sandboxed...there are no APIs exposed) so it is quite impossible to write any kind of virus using NDK.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:

Not at all, because very specific things have to happen. First, they have to jailbreak their iPhone or Touch, but that alone will not allow this worm to enter your phone. Second, they have had to installed and turned on OpenSSH, which is not installed by default. Only when those two things are done without the user being wise enough to then change the root password will this ?backdoor" be unlocked.

Same goes for the gun, you have to put bullets in it and point it at somebody and pull the trigger to shoot them.

Basically this is NOT a news story at all really, just some traffic grabbing headline that is only barely related to the actual problem.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If you don't want to submit to a "control freak" you don't have to, the decision, as a consumer is yours.

Which of the 37 fart applications I noticed in the Android market do you think would be best?

Do you think paying for one is worthwhile if it gets rid of the ads?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Where is your paranoia medication for today ?

I talked about a different thing : Mac OS X is "jail-broken" by default and nobody considers this as security problem. The only reason iPhone is different is to lock you to using AppStore and it is really funny to see people be parrots of Apple's reasoning there.

• Reply 69 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Jailbroken refers to the iPhone OS working in a way other than intended by Apple. As a result, Mac OS X cannot be considered Jailbroken as it functions as Apple intended.

Jail-broken !== open

Jail-broken === broken
  • Reply 70 of 99
    Release the hounds.

Australian admits creating first iPhone virus

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2737673.htm

Australian web designer spreads iPhone virus

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Mixed response to Astley iPhone virus

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...1110-i74f.html

more

I hope you jailbreaking bozo's are satisfied, Joe Average will take two words from all these headlines:- iPhone Virus but will he bother reading deeper into the story?
  • Reply 71 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I can't believe I missed this article. This is the funniest damn thing I've heard of in a while.

Oh and CONSPIRACY THEORY TIME

Apple's been trying so hard to keep people from jailbreaking their iphones, and running apps they actually want to run. Who's to say they didn't pay a guy to pay a guy to pay a guy to use inside information FROM APPLE to create a non-malicious worm as a warning, then release the source code as a scare to keep everyone off jailbreaking.

I seriously would not put it past them.

Jailbreaking your iphone because you want to be able to what you want with your property? YOU'RE GOING DOWN.

That's what you get for going with Apple when you should have gone with Windows Mobile. To everyone who doesn't want to jailbreak and sees no benefit at all, you obviously made the right choice in going with an iphone lol.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    Oh, yes because Apple really wants the words "virus" and "iPhone" to be associated in the average punters head.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I can't believe I missed this article. This is the funniest damn thing I've heard of in a while.

Apple's been trying so hard to keep people from jailbreaking their iphones, and running apps they actually want to run. Who's to say they didn't pay a guy to pay a guy to pay a guy to use inside information FROM APPLE to create a non-malicious worm as a warning, then release the source code as a scare to keep everyone off jailbreaking.

Jailbreaking your iphone because you want to be able to what you want with your property? YOU'RE GOING DOWN.

That's what you get for going with Apple when you should have gone with Windows Mobile. To everyone who doesn't want to jailbreak and sees no benefit at all, you obviously made the right choice in going with an iphone lol.

• Reply 73 of 99
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

...and then publicizes them how to stay jailbroken and avoid the hole by changing your SSH password...not really much upside for Apple there. I would certainly put it past them. They aren't stupid enough to think there would be any benefit to such a ploy. Just a little critical thought would show that. Conspiracy theories are only fun if they make even a little bit of sense.

Quote:

That's what you get for going with Apple when you should have gone with Windows Mobile.

Well, that has to win for funniest line of the thread. Should have gone with the sinking ship? Should have gone with the archaic platform? Should have gone with ketchup and mustard on my cake.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    Quote:

Release the hounds.

Australian admits creating first iPhone virus

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2737673.htm

Australian web designer spreads iPhone virus

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Mixed response to Astley iPhone virus

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...1110-i74f.html

more

I hope you jailbreaking bozo's are satisfied, Joe Average will take two words from all these headlines:- iPhone Virus but will he bother reading deeper into the story?

What exactly do 'jailbreaking bozos' have to do with lazy reporters, sensationalist, ignorant headlines and people too illiterate to read the story associated with the headline?
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Perception is reality, without jailbreaking there would be no headlines screaming "iPhone Virus" period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What exactly do 'jailbreaking bozos' have to do with lazy reporters, sensationalist, ignorant headlines and people too illiterate to read the story associated with the headline?

• Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:

If you don't want to submit to a "control freak" you don't have to, the decision, as a consumer is yours.

Which of the 37 fart applications I noticed in the Android market do you think would be best?

Same applies to you. Don't like the fart applications, don't buy them. There is plenty of other applications in the Market, that are very useful but they are impossible to create/get into AppStore.

Anytime it is not customer who makes the choice, something is wrong. We'll see how this approach will work for Apple in the long run, if more users will follow the path you suggested.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Quote:

Oh, yes because Apple really wants the words "virus" and "iPhone" to be associated in the average punters head.

It's not virus and iphone. It's worm and jailbreak. Think about it.

Quote:

...and then publicizes them how to stay jailbroken and avoid the hole by changing your SSH password...not really much upside for Apple there. I would certainly put it past them. They aren't stupid enough to think there would be any benefit to such a ploy. Just a little critical thought would show that. Conspiracy theories are only fun if they make even a little bit of sense.

They didn't publicize it. Someone else showed how to avoid the attack.

Quote:

Well, that has to win for funniest line of the thread. Should have gone with the sinking ship? Should have gone with the archaic platform? Should have gone with ketchup and mustard on my cake.

Actually the funniest thing is your lack of understanding of plain English. Here's my point (didn't think it needed explaining actually): If you want to jailbreak your iphone so you can have the freedom to do what you want, run what you want, customize what you want, you sound like Windows Mobile is more up your alley. If you're fine with not having those said options, a non-jailbroken iphone is perfect for you.

So really, before you talk about something you obvious don't know much about, check the arrogant attitude. Also, if WM was a sinking ship, why would HTC be coming out with such an amazing phone like the Leo? It's right around the corner for the states... Oh, didn't know about the Leo? Figures. Know only about what you own, but assume about things you don't.

Quote:

Perception is reality, without jailbreaking there would be no headlines screaming "iPhone Virus" period.

Without Apple's decision making on your behalf, there wouldn't be a need for jailbreaking.

It's a shame the lengths at which people must go, just to do what they want with something they think they own lol
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:

Now I can make fart noises without ads!

what ever happened to the classic double handed mouth farts? We need apps for these now?
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Perhaps you'd like to inform the 300+ news sites which come up in a search involving "iPhone" and "virus" about how they are wrong.

Quote:

It's not virus and iphone. It's worm and jailbreak. Think about it.

Apple didn't make my decision to buy an iPhone, I did, if I wanted something to mess with I could have got a WinMo phone and headed over to XDA developers or a Symbian phone, Android phone or whatever.

Quote:

Without Apple's decision making on your behalf, there wouldn't be a need for jailbreaking.

It's a shame the lengths at which people must go, just to do what they want with something they think they own lol

• Reply 80 of 99
    Quote:

They didn't publicize it. Someone else showed how to avoid the attack.

The coder put it in the comments in the source...

Quote:

Actually the funniest thing is your lack of understanding of plain English. Here's my point (didn't think it needed explaining actually): If you want to jailbreak your iphone so you can have the freedom to do what you want, run what you want, customize what you want, you sound like Windows Mobile is more up your alley. If you're fine with not having those said options, a non-jailbroken iphone is perfect for you.

Sure, there are other options. WinMo is just the closest thing to a joke to hold up as an alternative.

Quote:

So really, before you talk about something you obvious don't know much about, check the arrogant attitude. Also, if WM was a sinking ship, why would HTC be coming out with such an amazing phone like the Leo? It's right around the corner for the states... Oh, didn't know about the Leo? Figures. Know only about what you own, but assume about things you don't.

Perhaps for the same reason HTC is shifting quickly away from WinMo to Android. Why would HTC still ship Leo? For those suckers that cling to a sinking ship. Most major WinMo vendors are shifting away.

Quote:

true enough

Quote:

Like having to hunt down useable ROMs for your WinMo? That is a shame. I always find it funny that the guys that rant about how easy it is to flash their WinMo ROMs to get the functionality they want (as though JB'ing is any more difficult) are the same ones running to XDA begging for a stable ROM.