PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 now fuller rivals to Apple TV

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    An old thread, I know. Netflix streaming coming to PS3. I think that it's very disappointing that Apple has not been able to swing some kind of deal with Netflix to bring streaming video to the iTunes store or to the Apple TV. My PS3 is threatening to become a focal point of my home theater.
  • Reply 122 of 126
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

AMy PS3 is threatening to become a focal point of my home theater.

Given Blu-Ray, streaming and games I don't see why that would be surprising.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Given Blu-Ray, streaming and games I don't see why that would be surprising.

I think that it probably has to do with the fact that I have had a hard time thinking of it as anything other than a game system. Maybe I just desperately wanted the ATV to be the do it all box of my home theater. I still use it all the time for video in my iTunes library, but my PS3 is getting more and more use as I start to purchase more bluray titles. It has got me starting to explore the other features of the device. When I heard that Netflix was coming, it made me a little sad because I realized that the device I had been wanting for so long is essentially my PS3. If I wasn't already so invested in my iTunes library, I might consider moving everything en masse to PS3.
  • Reply 124 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I think that it probably has to do with the fact that I have had a hard time thinking of it as anything other than a game system. Maybe I just desperately wanted the ATV to be the do it all box of my home theater. I still use it all the time for video in my iTunes library, but my PS3 is getting more and more use as I start to purchase more bluray titles. It has got me starting to explore the other features of the device. When I heard that Netflix was coming, it made me a little sad because I realized that the device I had been wanting for so long is essentially my PS3. If I wasn't already so invested in my iTunes library, I might consider moving everything en masse to PS3.

iTunes music or videos? If it's music and mostly not encrypted, you can run a UPnP server on your computer and the PS3 can connect to it. One such example is Nulriver's Medialink, and I can use the PS3 to look at my photo library and play music. I think it did video serving too, transcoding on the fly.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    Not a chance.. As Apple has proven time and time again, It's not just features, it's the software. The iTunes integration alone offers something those other devices will never be able to offer. Add to that the portability with the content via iPods, iPhones, Macs and PCs.. You certainly can't take a tv show you bought on your XBox 360 with you on your Blackberry, but you CAN take a tv show you bought on iTunes/Apple Tv with you on your iPod/iPhone
  • Reply 126 of 126
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desertofwater View Post

Not a chance.. As Apple has proven time and time again, It's not just features, it's the software. The iTunes integration alone offers something those other devices will never be able to offer. Add to that the portability with the content via iPods, iPhones, Macs and PCs.. You certainly can't take a tv show you bought on your XBox 360 with you on your Blackberry, but you CAN take a tv show you bought on iTunes/Apple Tv with you on your iPod/iPhone

It is pretty amazing how little attention Sony pays to this aspect. While there's a good bit of integration between the PSP and PS3 IMHO it never really amounted to as much as it could have been.