iLife - to buy or not to buy?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to decide. I really only want iWeb which I have used and would like to have for a simple bio/portfolio/blog for myself. I'm a freelance designer (not web) and want an easy web site building application I can easily make updates with, post project pics, etc... iWeb is perfect. I'm just wondering what sort of additional bells and whistles I'll get with the other apps that aren't already available to me now.

Do iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, etc... get a huge facelift or is the truth of the matter that I'll essentially be buying what I already have just to get my hands on one application?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Even so... $79 isn't such a bad price for a program you seem to find easy to use and relatively powerful (as a consumer product).

Consider the additional program upgrades as just "freebies"... is iWeb itself worth $79 to you?

(iTunes is free anyway, iMovie keeps getting better if you would even use it, iDVD is little more than a video DVD authoring tool with a fairly limited audience, iPhoto upgrades are nice... unless you use something else... but they integrate so nicely with iWeb!)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    No, you're right. $79 isn't bad at all and if I get a good set of upgrades along with an app I find valuable that's a worthwhile investment. I do sometimes have a need for iMovie. I get the occasional job for new business pitches that need Keynote and iMovie support so enhancements to iMovie (as well as iPhoto) and would be beneficial.

I guess I was just looking for call outs on particularly stellar features. I've more or less convinced myself to get it but am still curious about what I'll get above and beyond the free versions.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iChristina View Post

No, you're right. $79 isn't bad at all and if I get a good set of upgrades along with an app I find valuable that's a worthwhile investment. I do sometimes have a need for iMovie. I get the occasional job for new business pitches that need Keynote and iMovie support so enhancements to iMovie (as well as iPhoto) and would be beneficial.

I guess I was just looking for call outs on particularly stellar features. I've more or less convinced myself to get it but am still curious about what I'll get above and beyond the free versions.

Iphoto has had a good update as well and iMovie is finally usable again. I'd say you're likely not to use them as much as iWeb but they'd be good apps to have in "support" of dealing with iWeb files.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Iphoto has had a good update as well and iMovie is finally usable again. I'd say you're likely not to use them as much as iWeb but they'd be good apps to have in "support" of dealing with iWeb files.

How well they all work together is a huge selling point. I presume the same is true when using the Creative Suite in conjunction? I've rarely had issues working across Apple and Adobe Apps. Once in a while some font issues arise but nothing catastrophic.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    FREE Weebly.com/.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

FREE Weebly.com/.

Hey! Nice. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have the Ilife 08 disk, I'll sell to you for $25.00

Brett
  • Reply 8 of 8
    From what I've read here, I think iLife would be great for you. iDVD could come in handy when your client wants a hard copy of those Keynote and iMovie presentations.