Evidence of Apple's new iPhone model, Maps application uncovered

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "Take it to the next level" - hmm, some nice corporate speak there. But I think I need to take that discussion off-line. Anyway...

What could it mean? I guess they could show you a virtual 3D walk to your destination before you start, like map kiosks in shopping malls.

Or they could integrate speech recognition, since that seems to work well with limited vocab applications. You program in your destination and start walking and when you reach a corner you ask "Which way now?" and it answers.

Or it could support moving targets, like the destination is someone else's iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The description is particularly interesting because Apple quietly purchased a Google Maps competitor, Placebase, this summer. The worldwide mapping company offered products that would aggregate data on subjects such as demographics, home sales, crime, mortgage lending, school performance and more.

In addition, the existing Maps application has been a point of contention between Apple and Google. Apple rejected the Google Latitude app because it was reportedly thought the software would only be confused with the default Maps application. Google instead released a Web-based version of the software.

Google has added additional functionality to its own Android-powered handsets with Google Maps Navigation, a free turn-by-turn voice guidance system part of the new Motorola Droid. Google has said it would like to bring the software to the iPhone, if Apple approves.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is looking to higher an in-house game developer to create original content for the iPhone and iPod touch. To date, Apple has only released one first-party game for the iPhone, Texas Hold'em. The job listing could signify that the handset maker is looking to create more of its own games.

Yep. Apple are rich enough to lay their hands on something generating or/and aggregating geo-awareness content. All rich guys do that. GOOG develop faster, that's true, but Apple have better ideas.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    I would think the screen would be one of the big changes. 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi is well behind most of the newer phones. I was using a Nokia N900 and the screen is unbelievable - pin sharp.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Hey Apple, use an arrow on the maps to let me know which way I'm facing!

Played with my friend's 3GS, and there didn't seem to be any compass implementation in the maps app. Next update should be quite a jump forward since the competition is (and would have) stepping up and we still have 6 or so months of advancements ahead.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    LOL. I skimmed through the article and that was the one item that really stood out. Who writes these things?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

how do you "higher" a developer?

• Reply 26 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

how do you "higher" a developer?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

Give him plenty of bong hits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cesium133x View Post

I'm flabbergasted. Are you really sure Apple is working on the next iPhone? So soon? I find it much more likely that they're sitting on their hands until the competition catches up. Then they'll panic and start working again.

Frankly, what kind or reporting is that?

flabbergasted ?? did you cut the cheese again ?

sitting on there hands ?? no there going to HIGHER a flabbergaster !!

and if apple sat on there hands for a decade they still would not catch up

panic you say ?

re:MAD mag 'what me worry "

APPLe plain and simple does not give a shit about anyone or anything

apple is a state of mind

and if you look real fast there gone gone

the next phone was planned 2 yrs ago

and the nano phone will be here soon also look for a WRISTWATCH dick tracey nano sport phone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

LOL. I skimmed through the article and that was the one item that really stood out. Who writes these things?

idiots like us

monday morning and the higher crack has me smiling

thanks dudes

peace 9
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucklehead

idiots like us

Neva hav trur werds bean siad.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    and the maps situation shows how stupid google is

google is a one horse game show with a hundred useless tendrils searching for their second income source . Fear invades googles every waking thought that the ad income will disappear over night when the next big thing happens .. and there correct to cower.it will end for them one day .some kids will write code for free that kills google off.

instead of respecting apple and working WITH apple they proceed to step on all of apples toes at once

everywhere you look google's face is butting in .

so apple responds with its own maps .

telling google to sit down calmly in the corner and f off.

google isn;t even making or even trying to make money in all these far flung area's

ThEIR just 3 kids who need 2 decades more seasoning on relationship building

trying to out APPLE on apple's sacred iphone screens real estate ended what could have been a great union .

• Reply 29 of 51
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I didn't get the upgrade for the 3GS. They wouldn't let me until Mar 2010. This will force me to wait for the new model in summer at hopefully an upgrade price!

Me too.

Sure is painful waiting though. The 3G can hardly run the basic OS without crashing unless you leave it half empty, (let alone apps of any size or complexity).

My 3G is approaching the "WinMobile experience" lately.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Me too.

Sure is painful waiting though. The 3G can hardly run the basic OS without crashing unless you leave it half empty, (let alone apps of any size or complexity).

Do not know what you all are running but my 16Gb 3S has only 2.4Gb space left and having no issues with running apps.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    [QUOTE=Cesium133x;1527870]I'm flabbergasted. Are you really sure Apple is working on the next iPhone? So soon? I find it much more likely that they're sitting on their hands until the competition catches up. Then they'll panic and start working again.

Frankly, what kind or reporting is that?[/QUOTE

If you going to write something at least make sense
  • Reply 32 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Hey Apple, use an arrow on the maps to let me know which way I'm facing!

Played with my friend's 3GS, and there didn't seem to be any compass implementation in the maps app. Next update should be quite a jump forward since the competition is (and would have) stepping up and we still have 6 or so months of advancements ahead.

If you have the 3GS you have the compass and the option to make the direction you are heading to always be forward on Maps.

I’m sure you are aware of the little icon in the lower left corner of Maps that will find your GPS location. If you tap it again it will activate the compass so the maps in relation to your direction.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Me too.

That isn’t normal. The OS hasn’t gotten any slower or larger since the original iPhone OS release. It still uses about the same amount of RAM. I’d wipe it, reinstall it but then don’t restore from backup. I’d then rebuild it manually and then save that one to a back up when you are done.

PS: The original and 3G are short on RAM. They have enough to run the OS but try running multiple apps and that 128MB RAM gets used up quickly. The 3GS is the first iPhone to actually have enough RAM to potentially allow decent background apps to run.

I expect this to be an iPhone OS v4.0 feature for the 3GS and the next iPhone onward. Also, I expect it to work similar to the way Push Notifications work. Meaning it needs to be added by the developer first through an API and then turned on in your Settings.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

If you going to write something at least make sense

I think he was attempting sarcasm.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

One thing I've found interesting is that although everyone complains about the battery life of the iPhone/touch, there doesn't seem to be any talk of if the new lithium polymer batteries that are in all the MacBook Pros are scalable down to the size of the iPhone.

If they are, I'd expect them to be in the next iPhone/touch iteration. Now THAT would be one of the best, if not THE best improvements on the iPhone.

Has anyone seen any discussion on this topic - whether the lithium polymer battery can scale down? If so, please post the links for me.

The iPhone/touch have lithium-ion battery currently.

From Apple's web site:

"To increase battery life without increasing the size and weight of our notebooks, Apple scientists and engineers used lithium-polymer. This type of battery can be customized to fit perfectly inside extremely thin enclosures, like those of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro."

"Extremely thin enclosures..."

So, can this battery technology be used in the iPhone/touch and triple the battery usage time as they did with the MacBook Pros?

If so, it would be HUGE for the iPhone. HUGE!

Anyone know?

Of course it can "scale down." They are used right now in small/light in model airplane applications. I can only assume the cost is a factor.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Better battery + OLED = Heaven.

OLEDs are not all they are cracked up to be. Look at reviews of the Zune. They are promising, but the tech is not mature yet and has several disadvantages.

The next iPhone needs some common sense improvements:
    • 5MP or better camera

• Flash

• Custom text sounds w/o hacking

• Tethering

• Wireless syncing

• Better notification system for missed calls/texts.

• Centralized mailbox view option for e-mail accounts.

• Auto categorization of apps by type. Manually organization takes forever and is clumsy.

• Better call reliability, possibly through other networks.

• Faster processor and application load times

• Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

One thing I've found interesting is that although everyone complains about the battery life of the iPhone/touch, there doesn't seem to be any talk of if the new lithium polymer batteries that are in all the MacBook Pros are scalable down to the size of the iPhone.

Apple do use Li-Poly batteries in their iPods and iPhones. I think they?ve been using them in their iPods since day one even though they only list them as Lithium Ion instead of Lithium Poly or Lithium Ion Polymer. You can see the difference because they are flat batteries, the standard in cell phones and PMPs.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

OLEDs are not all they are cracked up to be. Look at reviews of the Zune. They are promising, but the tech is not mature yet and has several disadvantages.

The next iPhone needs some common sense improvements:
    • 5MP or better camera

• Flash

• Custom text sounds w/o hacking

• Tethering

• Wireless syncing

• Better notification system for missed calls/texts.

• Centralized mailbox view option for e-mail accounts.

• Auto categorization of apps by type. Manually organization takes forever and is clumsy.

• Better call reliability, possibly through other networks.

• Faster processor and application load times

Those are all pretty reasonable, except for wireless syncing. Trying to sync 32 or 64GB is just too slow and not user friendly. If it?s just for contacts, bookmarks, etc. then MobileMe is what Apple will push for that. The use of USB to directly connect to iTunes for backing up and syncing is very solid and won?t be changing, especially after the Sidekick and Pre loss of data incident. What I?d like to see if the next Macs have USB3.0 and the next iDevices also get this for speedier syncing.

I don?t think the 5MP camera will happen next time around. A flash would be nice for still camera users but low-light CMOS cameras are getting more common. Having that in a video camera may be more likely since Apple won?t have to tarnish the case to add the feature like they would with a flash.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think he was attempting sarcasm.

Maybe we need a new word for that... like "sarcazzing", or "sarked"...
  • Reply 39 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Not sure if there is a way but I was unable to figure out how to dismiss the blue circle of my current location. This became a problem when I was in an area where the satellite images were very washed out and with the semi transparent blue overlay it was near impossible to discern any detail in the images at all. Unless I've missed something I hope the next Maps app fixes that issue.

BTW current location Costa Rica
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not sure if there is a way but I was unable to figure out how to dismiss the blue circle of my current location. This became a problem when I was in an area where the satellite images were very washed out and with the semi transparent blue overlay it was near impossible to discern any detail in the images at all. Unless I've missed something I hope the next Maps app fixes that issue.

BTW current location Costa Rica

That is because it is using the cell towers to determine your location because getting a GPS link was not possible.

The only things I can think of is to get the location with maps and then go to Airplane mode or jailbreak it then turn off the A-GPS function.