Apple's iPhone 'halo effect' lifts Mac to 16.4% sales growth

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but 'ovepriced' products don't generally do well when the economy is poor. Good marketing won't cut it. You have to give people a reason to part with enough money to buy a premium product - which Apple has clearly done.

After all, look at you - you're so full of envy that you're literally foaming at the mouth.

The only way people buy ?overpriced? products is if they feel forced to buy them. This is why we have rules against price gouging.

He won?t understand that ?overpriced? refers to an individuals feelings toward a product not the price of the product compared to the lowest tier in that general category.

He?s full of something and it doesn?t smell like envy.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes they do because only the rich can afford them. Do you think BMW or Lexus are suffering?:

Only the rich can afford a $599 computer? Wow. Must be some new definition of 'rich' that I wasn't aware of.

It must stink to be earning less than minimum wage. I would have thought Microsoft would pay you better than that for your posting on these boards. Maybe you should look for a better job.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Only the rich can afford a $599 computer? Wow. Must be some new definition of 'rich' that I wasn't aware of.

It must stink to be earning less than minimum wage. I would have thought Microsoft would pay you better than that for your posting on these boards. Maybe you should look for a better job.

its $599 for just the box. nothing else. so assuming you want to use all your older stuff, then yes, its $599. however, if you want to use all apple branded stuff, the price can start to go up quite quickly.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

its $599 for just the box. nothing else. so assuming you want to use all your older stuff, then yes, its $599. however, if you want to use all apple branded stuff, the price can start to go up quite quickly.

Why would you insist on an Apple monitor if you're on a budget? Most people have a monitor which will work just fine with the Mini. If not, Staples just had a deal on 22" monitors for $120 (less if you have a discount card). The monitor is irrelevant - if you don't have one, you'll need to buy it regardless of which computer you choose.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    Quote:

Jragosta point is solid. If the goal is to have a Mac so you can have Mac OS X then the rest shouldn’t necessarily matter. Apple’s monitor is on the expensive end for a consumer 24” LCD, but it is LED backlit IPS display that come with a camera, speakers and USB hub. Even has a power-passthrough for Mac notebooks*. Same goes for their wireless mouse and keyboard. If you don’t like them or want them you aren’t required to get them.

* I really wish Apple would have made the 24” LED ACD powerful enough to allow it power the Mac Mini so you wouldn’t have to use a separate power brick and wall outlet. A special adapter that clips into the MagSafe and then plugs into the back of the Mini. Saving on cable clutter is always a plus in my book.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:

Why would you insist on an Apple monitor if you're on a budget? Most people have a monitor which will work just fine with the Mini. If not, Staples just had a deal on 22" monitors for $120 (less if you have a discount card). The monitor is irrelevant - if you don't have one, you'll need to buy it regardless of which computer you choose.

i never mentioned a monitor. i said apple branded stuff, but now that youve brought the monitor into the game

$599 + your $120 monitor is still more than the avg windows pc that already includes everything.

please dont argue apple and budget in the same sentence. everyone knows apple does not cater to the budget community very well.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    Quote:

i never mentioned a monitor. i said apple branded stuff,

So you're even more clueless than I thought.

What Apple branded stuff do you need to buy in order to use a Mac Mini?

The correct answer, of course, is 'none'. You can use almost any old keyboard or mouse you have lying around - if it was purchased in the past 10 years, it will have a USB adapter.

And you're imagining the rest, too. I never said that the Mini was a budget computer. I said that, at $599, it was clearly within the reach of a much wider audience than 'rich people' as tekdud stated.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

So you think computers don't include screens at $599?

Isn't that from the same mold that considers ketchup acceptable as a vegetable requirement in our public schools ?

Keep digging.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    I had been a "PC" guy since the very first IBM PC (2 single density drives, green monochrome monitor, 64k RAM). I bought the iPhone because it had to be better than the crappy Palm products I'd been using, particularly after Palm abandoned its LifeDrive customers (I used a standard cell phone and LifeDrive for my PDA).

The iPhone led to the purchase of the MacBook Air, which led to getting a Mac Mini for my Dad, which led to a Nano G5 which led to a MacMini for me. Oh, and I upgraded to an iPhone 3G and passed my 2G iPhone on to my son.

Apple hasn't been perfect, but it is MUCH better than my Windows/DOS experience to say the least. I am not surprised by these results.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

do you enjoy picking specific things out of everyone's post? does it make you feel like a forum warrior?

if you would read my post it says "i never said people arent satisfied with their macs, i said they just dont always work like everyone is brainwashed to think" that you just so happen to leave out.

Yip, it took an Apple authorised repairer four attempts to fix my sons MacBook, the final repair to fix on the issues they introduced in the previous repair, real satisfying
  • Reply 71 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yip, it took an Apple authorised repairer four attempts to fix my sons MacBook, the final repair to fix on the issues they introduced in the previous repair, real satisfying

1) Why go through an authorized repair shop and not through Apple if you?re under warranty?

2) You have kids?
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:

So you think computers don't include screens at $599?

Some do, some don't. Do you have a point or are you still trying to find out why everyone else seems to make enough money that they can afford a $599 computer while you don't? After all, you are the one who claimed you had to be rich to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:

Some do, some don't. Do you have a point or are you still trying to find out why everyone else seems to make enough money that they can afford a $599 computer while you don't? After all, you are the one who claimed you had to be rich to buy a Mac.

Smart people can manage their money and research a product before buying to make sure it fits their needs. For instance, most people who bough the AppleTV with the v1 OS knew what to expect and how it fit into their home entertainment system. Take 2 and Take 3 added more features for free they didn?t initially expect when buying the device, yet Teckstud has repeatedly stated that they?ve removed features and that the device is less usable than it originally was. I?m guessing he?s not the kind of person who thinks before making decisions and we have AI posting history to back that up.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:

Actually, that's not quite right.

Apple currently has 20% of REVENUES for the industry (so, if they double, they'll have 40% Of REVENUES). Apple's margins are higher than most PC vendors and their profits are MUCH higher, so they may already have 40% of PROFITS.

My mistake.

Apple's current margins are > 35%.

However, 40% of Total Revenues still means 40% of total possible profit generation from the market being held by Apple.

Clearly, it's impossible to have 0% operational costs, but at > 35% [Google cites 36.62% Gross Margins] margins that 40% revenue will equate to > 16% pure profit [Google cites 16.87% profit margins].

Seeing as every company has differing operating margins let's take HP for example:

Their gross margins currently are 23.73%, but their profit margin is only 5.98%. Seeing as HP makes the bulk of their money from Printing, it's even scarier how low their gross margins are for systems.

It's clearly not in HP's best interest for Apple to swallow 40% Gross Revenues out of the PC world.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:

So you're even more clueless than I thought.

What Apple branded stuff do you need to buy in order to use a Mac Mini?

The correct answer, of course, is 'none'. You can use almost any old keyboard or mouse you have lying around - if it was purchased in the past 10 years, it will have a USB adapter.

And you're imagining the rest, too. I never said that the Mini was a budget computer. I said that, at $599, it was clearly within the reach of a much wider audience than 'rich people' as tekdud stated.

man you're a windowlicker... in everyway

you fill in additions that i in no way mentioned. so i did what you did. filled in phrases and mentioned things you didnt. enjoy windowlicker.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:

I didn't say that and yes I can afford them and indeed I aready do. I simply said that in a bad economy the rich would be affected the least.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:

man you're a windowlicker... in everyway

you fill in additions that i in no way mentioned. so i did what you did. filled in phrases and mentioned things you didnt. enjoy windowlicker.

I know- he's trying to do the same thing with me- trying.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:

I didn't say that

Look at post #61. Yes, you did say that.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Smart people can manage their money and research a product before buying to make sure it fits their needs. For instance, most people who bough the AppleTV with the v1 OS knew what to expect and how it fit into their home entertainment system. Take 2 and Take 3 added more features for free they didn?t initially expect when buying the device, yet Teckstud has repeatedly stated that they?ve removed features and that the device is less usable than it originally was. I?m guessing he?s not the kind of person who thinks before making decisions and we have AI posting history to back that up.

Man - are you a pathological liar?

I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT, AGAIN- SHOW ME.

If anything I said the complete opposite with Take 3. They given me some of what I want.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

Look at post #61. Yes, you did say that.

You look at it - and learn to copy and paste it and show me.

I was responding as it relates to your comment
    Quote:

"when the economy is poor".