Another question about Handbrake

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Someone wrote about having trouble encoding a purchased DVD a while ago. I'm having the same problem as was described below. The movie I'm trying to encode is "Hannah Montana the Movie". Once the encoding starts it quits in about 1 second, says its done, but the file created is blank.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem is this movie on the list of titles that can't be encoded to play on an iPod?

Here's the previous posting

I'm tring to encode Ratatouille to put on my daughter's iPod touch. Yes its a dvd that I bought and legally own.

I've tried several settings. The first was the iPhone preset. Then the high res iPod settings. None will work. When the the cd is insertedit takes a while for handbrake to read the dvd before adding it to the queue and then starting. Once started it finishes the encode in about one minute and says to put down the cocktail. However the mpeg4 file has no content. Just a black screen.

Any ideas. All my other dvd rips before and after have gone off without a hitch.

Ps the dvd plays fine in the computer. I can watch the movie with dvd player just fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    First off... the organization that makes Handbrake has an excellent forum section devoted soley to handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/community.php

You can probably find better/more accurate info there.

However... It appears the copy-protection on some DVD's doesn't play well with Handbrake... I've had luck ripping those few DVD's with MacTheRipper first, then using handbrake to transcode that ripped DVD TS file into an h264 mp4.

I haven't used it in some time though, so I'm not sure if MacTheRipper is 10.6 compliant. (Or if it's even still in development.)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    There's a new version of Handbrake out. Download it. Feels faster than the older version and has friendlier presets.

Handbrake works for me on DVDs where because of intentional bad sectors MacTheRipper gives up.

Cheers