Apple close to acquiring music streaming service Lala - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

Well, it's taxed lower than regular capital gains and you don't have to sell your stock to get it, so it looks free enough to be free to me.

That is a valid argument. Well done.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Nice bait on that hook!

Except I'm not biting.

but he right- stingy Apple shoudl and will put a flash on the iPhone and more matte screens- the you can all thank me and all the others that have fought for the cause.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

They're probably royally pissed about Google owning ad-mob and are going after lala for the same reason.

Apple is always pissed at somebody - that's their whole raison d'être.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Why not MasterBeat?

LaLa looks okay but it's basic, a significant part of the picture is missing here...
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Why not MasterBeat?

LaLa looks okay but it's basic, a significant part of the picture is missing here...

There is talk that they bought them for their talent, not their current product, much like buying PA Semi.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

How on earth Google keeps such a high stock price I'll never understand... talk about trading on potential. Google could burst in 12 months time and no one would see it coming. At least Apple has real products with an actual supply chain and monitor-able activities.

There's nothing unreal about the advertising dollars that Google gets. Their revenue this year will be close to $25B (that's not too far off from Apple's). And, it's from a dollar pool that amounts to hundreds of billions annually.

Also, Google is sitting on a gold mine of subscription opportunities from among their current client base.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

An acquisition by Apple like this is interesting. From a technological standpoint, I doubt LaLa has anything Apple couldn't build on their own. But the music industry might be preventing Apple from signing new streaming contracts, so Apple might be end-running them to buy someone who has those long-term deals already sewn up.

This doesn't make any sense. It was reported that the music licensing rights that Lala already has are not transferrable once the company is sold, so it seems Apple is only buying the talent that built Lala.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Seriously, $31b is an embarrassing amount of cash for a company Apple's size, with no debt and high margins.

The pressure will be on soon for them to start paying a dividend, unless they can prove that they can exercise their balance sheet a bit more and drive higher growth.

It's not that they're not doing wonderfully - they are - but they're making so much profit and just letting it sit in the bank, that at some point they're going to need to return it to the shareholders as a dividend. Unless they've got better ideas of what to do with it.

I hope they have better ideas of what to do with it!

The company is under no pressure other than from analysts to do something with their cash hoard. They continue to deliver high profitability and astounding stock growth, so I don't see investors complaining.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This doesn't make any sense. It was reported that the music licensing rights that Lala already has are not transferrable once the company is sold, so it seems Apple is only buying the talent that built Lala.

It's perhaps more likely that Apple's buying Lala for the patents associated with its business methods.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why? What are they not doing now that they should be?

I'd like to see them reverse engineer Jobs' brain to keep on after Steve moves on.

http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/ai...er-human-brain
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd like to see them reverse engineer Jobs' brain to keep on after Steve moves on.

http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/ai...er-human-brain

Now, that may not be such a bad idea. But, I think that Steve is a tad bit more than just his brain....
  • Reply 52 of 55
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Why not MasterBeat?

Is that some sort of sex site?
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

It's perhaps more likely that Apple's buying Lala for the patents associated with its business methods.

I?d really like Lala?s unique aspects added. For example, being able to go www.itunes.com, put in my account information and be able to play any of my songs from Apple?s servers to whatever browser I?m using even though my PC with iTunes isn?t being used after my library was updated. This may be how Apple is going to get iTunes to still be relevant on Chrome OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 21-October-2009

Lala is unveiling the first and only free fully licensed service to instantly provide anywhere Web access to an existing music library such as iTunes. Replacing the outdated approach of uploading MP3 files from a PC, Lala introduces a licensed technology to instantly match songs from consumers? personal music libraries with the Web-based catalog on lala.com.

• Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Another good point. Since I know of no patents associated with Lala, have they been cited?
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Are you happy with the app? This is great news.

Yes, it's quite good. I'm able to stream over even the lowly EDGE connection, though I'm usually in 3G or better. There are more feature that could be and should be added but for a v1 I think it's great. I don't think I'm allowed to give any specifics though I can't recall...in any case I'm sure it will be available soon.