My G4 wont start.

rpbrpb
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If my G4 wont start (and it won't) what could be the cause? I checked the outlet and it's fine. I had company over the holidays and the power strip was turned off, my guess is someone was pushing on the power button over and over and may have damaged it.

My question is> If I get a used G5 will the hard drives I now have hook up to the G5 architecture so I can copy all my files to the newer machine? or should I try to get a new switch for the G4 (even if I can find .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpb View Post

If my G4 wont start (and it won't) what could be the cause? I checked the outlet and it's fine. I had company over the holidays and the power strip was turned off, my guess is someone was pushing on the power button over and over and may have damaged it.

My question is> If I get a used G5 will the hard drives I now have hook up to the G5 architecture so I can copy all my files to the newer machine? or should I try to get a new switch for the G4 (even if I can find .

The hard drives should work just fine in the G5.

Or, you could also purchase a USB or FIrewire enclosure for the hard drives. Simple install your hard drive in the enclosure, and connect it to your new Mac. The hard drive should mount on the Desktop and you can transfer over your files.

Enclosures are available at BestBuy, Microcenter, or all over the web. There are even some that you simply "click" the hard drive into the enclosure; no assembly required! (See http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...nal-Enclosures).

Jeff
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rpbrpb Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drtech View Post

The hard drives should work just fine in the G5.

Or, you could also purchase a USB or FIrewire enclosure for the hard drives. Simple install your hard drive in the enclosure, and connect it to your new Mac. The hard drive should mount on the Desktop and you can transfer over your files.

Enclosures are available at BestBuy, Microcenter, or all over the web. There are even some that you simply "click" the hard drive into the enclosure; no assembly required! (See http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...nal-Enclosures).

Jeff

Jeff: Thanks for your input, I am going to get a used G5 and try the drive swap , I'll let you know what happens.