Flatbed scanner suggestions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to buy a flatbed scanner to mainly scan several old photos. But also some documents. So nothing too fancy or professional. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for a scanner? Are there any in particular that don't work well with Macs. I've never bought one so I really don't know the first thing about them.

I have a Macbook Pro (1,1) if it makes any difference. Running Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have a Canon MP810 that is an awesome scanner and printer to boot and isn't that expensive and has never had any problems on my Mac for years.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What's your price range? If you already have a printer that you like, you can save some money by getting a standalone scanner, instead of an all-in-one. Conversely, you can spend the same money and get a better scanner.

Canon and Epson both have stand alone scanners in the $100-$200 range that seem to be pretty well regarded, and work fine with OS X. "Who's best" always goes back and forth, but at the moment I'd lean towards Canon.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the replies!

Price range is a couple of hundred dollars, I guess. I haven't even looked at prices yet. I do see that people seem to like Epson and Canon the most. I have two printers: one is perfectly fine and the other is an old laser jet that I barely use. The house really doesn't need two printers, so maybe a nice stand alone scanner would be good.

I'll narrow my search to the Canon and Epson ones. Thanks again!