How to make my self-published book ready for a e-book readers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a self published author and I want to have my book ready for the new touch screen tablet.

How do I get the book ready for it and what program do I use and where do I get it listed to be sold for this?

How is my work protected and what do I do make to make sure the e-book is only on the person computer/touch screen who buys it?

I use rapid weaver web design program for my web site (peafowl. com ) and I want to also sell it there as well...what steps do I have to do to make this all happen?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I am a self published author and I want to have my book ready for the new touch screen tablet.

How do I get the book ready for it and what program do I use and where do I get it listed to be sold for this…

What format is required for the iSlate/iTablet is a puzzle until it is launched.

Quote:

How is my work protected

It is protected by your copyright. But YOU will have to prove that copyright is yours in a court of law.

Quote:

and what do I do make to make sure the e-book is only on the person computer/touch screen who buys it?

You would need to apply a DRM scheme, which would also make your book(s) instantly unpopular and a target for hackers.

Quote:

I use rapid weaver web design program for my web site (peafowl. com ) and I want to also sell it there as well...what steps do I have to do to make this all happen?

Probably many steps, but the first I would take is formatting my book as a protected PDF.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I would suggest going to a professional writes site like http://authorsguild.org/ instead of here for the answers you need.

BTW, I have no idea if this organization is any good or not. They came up in the first page of a Google search.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'll reiterate some thoughts that have already been said and add a few of my own.

Only major publishers will have content ready for the iSlate. You'll have to wait to hear Apple's plans for small and independent publishers later this month

Yes, copyright. Also, don't worry about protecting your work from bit torrent like sites. Apple will either provide built-in DRM for publishers or they won't. What I mean is that copyright and only copyright will protect you. What's stopping you from copying other folks writings into your own book now? Copyright

There are plenty of free apps and widgets to add to your site to allow people to purchase items. Me personally, would start with Google Checkout but again, there are others.

http://code.google.com/apis/checkout...on_Part_I.html
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I'll reiterate some thoughts that have already been said and add a few of my own.

Only major publishers will have content ready for the iSlate. You'll have to wait to hear Apple's plans for small and independent publishers later this month

speciality

Yes, copyright. Also, don't worry about protecting your work from bit torrent like sites. Apple will either provide built-in DRM for publishers or they won't. What I mean is that copyright and only copyright will protect you. What's stopping you from copying other folks writings into your own book now? Copyright

There are plenty of free apps and widgets to add to your site to allow people to purchase items. Me personally, would start with Google Checkout but again, there are others.

http://code.google.com/apis/checkout...on_Part_I.html

First thanks for the ideas to research this new area for me...

My two books have been copyrighted in 86 & 90 and have sold very well since for a speciality book in the poultry book world...iSlate is new to me and have idea what it is , will check it out...Had no idea what DMR is and if I can even do it myself or if its in my budget...will check it out...I use PayPal on my web site for a read only issue of our newsletter now...but the book is so much different and much larger that a 4 page newsletter...will check out the site you listed and thanks for that...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

First thanks for the ideas to research this new area for me...

My two books have been copyrighted in 86 & 90 and have sold very well since for a speciality book in the poultry book world...iSlate is new to me and have idea what it is , will check it out...Had no idea what DMR is and if I can even do it myself or if its in my budget...will check it out...I use PayPal on my web site for a read only issue of our newsletter now...but the book is so much different and much larger that a 4 page newsletter...will check out the site you listed and thanks for that...

I've done business with people who say Google Checkout charges less fees than PayPal, FYI
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

[...] Had no idea what DMR is and if I can even do it myself or if its in my budget...will check it out... [...]

It's 'DRM' (Digital Rights Management), not 'DMR' (Wikipedia/Digital Rights Management).

Be aware that there are also many ways to circumvent, or 'break', DRM!.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Oh, and you could also put your books on Docstoc.com