Former Apple marketing manager describes company's 'controlled leaks'

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 50
    Well if they're wanting to gather information on a $1000.00 price point they can have mine right now....... no way. Actually I'd have to preface that by unless it offers something so totally unique that I can't replicate it by either the iPhone or a MacBook/Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


    Just imagine how many Kindles, Nooks and other e-readers are going unsold due to Apple's successful leak strategy! Lots of people who are interested in buying an e-reader (my wife is one) are holding off to see if Apple is going to come up with something better and more versatile.



    This is what I love about Apple. They don't talk "vapor" and not deliver. Their marketing/hype machine is getting word out about the new, cool, hip device that you HAVE to have and then they deliver! Sure you waited on the kindle and other readers, but the new Apple product will be more than worth the wait. You can almost bet on it.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    not that easy



    a lot of iphone OS 3.1 was written before 3 came out and the last 2 months were just to finish up a few features. it takes a long time to design a product and code the OS and software. then it takes months to QA it and get it ready for manufacture and get all the regulatory approvals



    Knowing how Apple is about being way, way ahead of the game, if there are any tablets, they may have a dozen different models already working as prototypes. Then they could pick and choose which versions to roll out based on competing offerings. Mind you, the difficult aspects of the coding may have been worked out far in advance.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The Journal's top technology commentator, Walt Mossberg, was bypassed, Martellaro alleged, to allow him to remain "above the fray."



    Actually, he was probably left out because he already has one for testing so he can release an article about it the day after Apple announces it.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ... Last month, one report highlighted Apple's supposed "Worldwide Loyalty Team," which are claimed to be a group of moles that spy on people and report directly to co-founder Steve Jobs and Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer. When an employee is suspected of a leak, the source claimed that they are under a "gag order" that involves the confiscation of cell phones and a total blackout of all unmonitored communication.



    Did you really have to add this nonsense on the end when it has little relevance to the story and has no corroboration at all?



    This part of the story has it's source in a badly written fantasy from one of the least reputable computer tech sites on the net. It was just about dead. Why resurrect it yet again when you have nothing to add and it adds nothing to your story?



    It's supposed to be "AppleInsider" not "AppleUnsourcedWildRumourSpreadingService."
  • Reply 27 of 50
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    recalcitrant |riˈkalsətrənt|



    adjective

    having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline : a class of recalcitrant fifteen-year-olds.



    noun

    a person with such an attitude.



    DERIVATIVES

    recalcitrance noun

    recalcitrantly adverb



    ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from Latin recalcitrant- ?kicking out with the heels,? from the verb recalcitrare, based on calx, calc- ?heel.?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 451member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Ballmer is about to make a complete fool of himself tonight with his keynote.



    As usual...
  • Reply 29 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post


    Not really surprised at all... the hype surrounding this tablet has been off the charts, and I'm sure Apple loves every minute of it.



    Question is, can they deliver a product that lives up to all the hype? I'm sure it'll be a quality product, but at this point it sounds more like a content delivery tool. Personally, I'd rather see an Arrandale MacBook Pro with a little more mobile oomph for producing content.



    Getting a little technical, there hasn't really been any hype, just a lot of rumors. Apple isn't obligated to fulfill rumors, unless you take the view that most of them were created by Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Apple tries to distance itself from Microsoft's profit driven, corporate at all costs way of operating but Apple is just as bad. Each app is scrutinized and put under an arduous approval process, each piece of news about under development hardware that is leaked is controlled by the highest levels inside Apple's managerial structure and we are led to believe that Apple is the "free spirit" of computer manufacturing. I love that Apple products all work when you push power (mostly). But let's stop deluding ourselves that Apple isn't as corporate as its nemesis (Microsoft).
  • Reply 31 of 50
    One item that wasn't mentioned... the decaying bodies still crucified in Roman tradition that line the inner courtyard at 1 Infinite Loop. Apparently, Steve Jobs feels that seeing disemboweled co-workers rotting after being uncovered by the moles acts a deterent to future leaks. In fact, and this is pretty top secret (but you heard it here first)... Apple rids itself of old fruit and vegetables by allowing employees in 'good standing' to throw the moldy fruit at disloyal employees who are locked in stocks.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post


    Apple tries to distance itself from Microsoft's profit driven, corporate at all costs way of operating but Apple is just as bad. Each app is scrutinized and put under an arduous approval process, each piece of news about under development hardware that is leaked is controlled by the highest levels inside Apple's managerial structure and we are led to believe that Apple is the "free spirit" of computer manufacturing. I love that Apple products all work when you push power (mostly). But let's stop deluding ourselves that Apple isn't as corporate as its nemesis (Microsoft).



    which one of the two dictatorships has products that the consumers want to buy?

    which one uses the dictatorial power to create awesome products?

    which one uses the dictatorial power as a vendor lock-in because it's too afraid to change and lose business?
  • Reply 33 of 50
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nebrie View Post


    Meh, sounds more or less like any other big company I've worked at with projects they don't want competitors to know about.



    It is just nice to have it confirmed instead of all of us bs'ing around about what we think happens.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    Getting a little technical, there hasn't really been any hype, just a lot of rumors. Apple isn't obligated to fulfill rumors, unless you take the view that most of them were created by Apple.



    I suppose it depends on what your definition of "hype" is. My little dashboard widget dictionary describes it as "a deception carried out for the sake of publicity". When you take the context of the article into account, I think you can safely say there has been a lot of "hype".
  • Reply 35 of 50
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post


    One item that wasn't mentioned... the decaying bodies still crucified in Roman tradition that line the inner courtyard at 1 Infinite Loop. Apparently, Steve Jobs feels that seeing disemboweled co-workers rotting after being uncovered by the moles acts a deterent to future leaks. In fact, and this is pretty top secret (but you heard it here first)... Apple rids itself of old fruit and vegetables by allowing employees in 'good standing' to throw the moldy fruit at disloyal employees who are locked in stocks.



    Apple gave them a job. Being disloyal is not cool or acceptable to me. As long as they are providing you a job, be loyal and there is not a problem. Or am I missing something?
  • Reply 36 of 50
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post


    How do Apple janitors do their job?



    If I earned $12/hour emptying trash cans, you bet I'd sell iTablet photos for $100 a pop.



    It's basically the same protocol for working on Classified documents for the government, down to the rotating red beacon light. Trash cans are left outside private offices for janitors, you have locking covers for your desk, drawing tables fold up to secure any blueprints. Any prototypes or confidential communication get locked back into the safe.



    What is odd is that they have security cameras, as that provides a single point of access to override all these protections.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    This is exactly why I would laugh until tears streamed down my face if there was no tablet. Would be a brilliant move to force the hands of all of the potential e-book reader manufacturers, then once all is known to Apple they simply have to refine their options before their next product release. Ingenious. And to think, Ballmer is about to make a complete fool of himself tonight with his keynote. Oh, boy... I can't wait.



    While I would laugh too I think this tablet is very real.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    This is exactly why I would laugh until tears streamed down my face if there was no tablet. Would be a brilliant move to force the hands of all of the potential e-book reader manufacturers, then once all is known to Apple they simply have to refine their options before their next product release. Ingenious. And to think, Ballmer is about to make a complete fool of himself tonight with his keynote. Oh, boy... I can't wait.



    You just called your own idea ingenious. And your idea is for Apple to not announce a tablet. OK.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post


    You just called your own idea ingenious. And your idea is for Apple to not announce a tablet. OK.



    Spam is a genius.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post


    I suppose it depends on what your definition of "hype" is. My little dashboard widget dictionary describes it as "a deception carried out for the sake of publicity". When you take the context of the article into account, I think you can safely say there has been a lot of "hype".



    I suppose it does. I was going for the more common usage, "extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion," and "promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits."



    I think there's a general problem about confusing rumors with hype. Even if some of the rumors are perpetuated or even originated by Apple, I think it's pretty clear that most of them are originated and perpetuated by the rumormonger community for their own benefit. In that case, what is being hyped is the rumor, not the thing itself.



    I know. Like I said, I'm being technical.
Sign In or Register to comment.