What is the Secret Sauce?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

This is a device optimised for social networking, entertainment and media consumption. Professionals have very different needs. And Apple already have a full line-up of products dedicated to meeting those needs already.

Sure, that I agree with. The important question is will this optimization towards consumption come at the expense of productivity entirely? This new rumor adds something to the mix:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._of_iwork.html

It could still be an ipod/iphone device not a Mac system yet still run some full-fledged productivity software assuming it's fast enough to do so. It could run Quicktime X and have the plugin architecture and plugins would just need to be compiled to work with it. I guess that's one way to try and push Pages onto students and wrench them away from Office as Office won't run.

Apple could make their entire suite of apps available if they chose to. The smart thing to do would be to allow people who have purchased say Aperture to get a version of Aperture for the device for free or a small fee rather than buy again.

Where this setup is unappealing is for people who don't use Apple's iapps (me included) where we're left with a big ipod.

Quote:

Neither the iPod or the iPhone did things which were new. They simply presented functionality in a way in which everyone understood.

I'd never seen capacitive multi-touch before - I'd never seen such a responsive touch input in any device before. Coupled with the intuitive gestures, the first experience of the interaction was quite an eye-opener. My reaction was 'this is it, this is how interaction with machines is supposed to be done'. That was new. The slate won't be ground-breaking in that same way unless it's a desktop-like UI.

Quote:

My guess the tablet will only run a subset of 4.0 apps. Whether developers will create new full-screen apps, is up to them. I bet many iPhone developers may tweak their apps to ensure they are in there from the beginning. But entirely new types of application will suit the new form-factor.

That's where the problem lies. Almost everyone buys a mobile phone. I don't know any individual above the age of 10 in my life without one. I know no one with a tablet nor an ebook reader nor a burning desire for either. It's a hard sell. So, if the market share doesn't pick up quick, what reason do developers have to put in more effort to develop more complex apps for a much smaller segment than the 60 million+ ipod/iphone users?

Quote:

As far as I can tell the ATV has only one app - and having tested it, I can assure you that it works badly in the coffee shop environment.

It has a limited set of apps (probably 1 main GUI app) for a very limited purpose (media playback) and falls short (no DVR, no Blu-Ray, no DivX etc, no browser for non-youtube video). The slate has a far wider purpose so needs more apps - e.g editing photos. No one expects to edit photos on an ATV but they will on a slate. People will expect a netbook experience. The apps on offer in the app store may be enough. Not for me though - a crucial part of my photo editing is the batch compression in GraphicConverter. If I can't use that app or do that task, there's no point in me buying the device.

Quote:

I guess we will have to wait and see who is right.

To clarify, you see the following:

ipod/iphone hardware e.g ARM custom PA Semi design? multi-core?

low power, long battery, prevents legacy app support but runs iphone apps

same iphone OS

If the assumption on price is very low (e.g $299) then I'm with you on that. If the price is to be high (e.g $499 $599), I think it has to be the following:

Atom hardware, still fairly low power but much faster. Runs legacy apps and the full OS X with a custom UI (Clouded Leopard).

Has USB, displayport etc.

Has a UI optimized for touch and runs all app store apps through an emulator/binary translator. 3D games should be custom built for the superior graphics hardware (possibly Ion platform).

Data contracts are an issue. If I can tether the device to my iphone then I don't need another contract so that's good. If I can't and have to buy another contract, I just won't but I lose out on being able to use a significant number of the features when out of the house.

I like both options - low price media device and higher price full OS X slate. The signs point to the ipod/iphone hardware and low price point but it's not my preference. I wonder how many MBA owners would rather have a 10" touch slate if it could do everything they needed.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Hi Marvin,

Yes this is a good summary of our respective positions. Added a couple of notes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

To clarify, you see the following:

* ipod/iphone hardware e.g ARM custom PA Semi design? multi-core?

* low power, long battery, prevents legacy app support but runs iphone apps

* same iphone OS

Not sure about the OS. It could be vanilla iPhone OS 4.0 - or it might have some new interface components. I certainly think the keyboard and other features will be re-worked to support two-hand operation.

The larger screen real-estate might also permit something new in terms of interface.

* Built-in cellular data modem

* Price - lower than Macbook: Netbook price point. $399-$599

- Possible HDMI

- Possible 3G Data Modem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If the assumption on price is very low (e.g $299) then I'm with you on that. If the price is to be high (e.g $499 $599), I think it has to be the following:

Atom hardware, still fairly low power but much faster. Runs legacy apps and the full OS X with a custom UI (Clouded Leopard).

Has USB, displayport etc.

Has a UI optimized for touch and runs all app store apps through an emulator/binary translator. 3D games should be custom built for the superior graphics hardware (possibly Ion platform).

Data contracts are an issue. If I can tether the device to my iphone then I don't need another contract so that's good. If I can't and have to buy another contract, I just won't but I lose out on being able to use a significant number of the features when out of the house.

I like both options - low price media device and higher price full OS X slate. The signs point to the ipod/iphone hardware and low price point but it's not my preference. I wonder how many MBA owners would rather have a 10" touch slate if it could do everything they needed.

The MBA is the tool of preference for writers - who really need the keyboard and don't want their writing surface partially obscured by a keyboard. I don't expect sales of the MBA to be substantially affected by the tablet. But I do think the MBA hardware needs a refresh.

I agree it would be absurd to pay for two data contracts.

C.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You are what you are. Apple has dropped its own Bluetooth headset. Bluetooth headsets are now available only from third-parties. For the first time in Apple's history, one of its computing platforms would require an extra third-party device to perform a primary function.

Are you sure that you have fully thought-out your position here?

Have I fully thought it out? Of course not, I don't work for marketing at Apple and have no idea what the device and it's capabilities are or even if it exists. This is just speculation.

Now, apparently blue tooth headsets work OK, I see a lot of people wearing them when I go out. I have never used on myself and I don't always take a cell phone with me. I really don't care for cell phones myself. Personally I don't care one way or the other, but I don't see the average person purchasing a data plan for their cell phone and their tablet.

Apple could bundle the cell phone voice and data into a device like this, and they could offer a wireless headset with it if they wanted to. I think that for those who have a laptop and an iPhone already it would be more attractive for them if the device crossed over one or both of these devices so that you do not have to pack all three when on the road. They did this with the iPhone, which is also an iPod.

I would imagine there were discussions with the development team about this as well. Do they rely on WiFi connectivity? Offer a cell data modem? What happens to their existing products when the device comes out?

Having the idea does not make me an idiot, if you agree with me or not is a different matter. And just because Apple does not make a blue tooth headset does not make the idea idiotic since they could easily have one made and package it with the device. And even if it does not have it when released I would not be surprised if it were added at some time in the future either to keep ahead of the competition or match what they are offering.