Laptops are dead?? (tablet/rumor + netbooks)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
All year I thought I'd buy a new 17" MBP to replace my 2006 MBP, but then I bought a cheap netbook from a friend and that simple devil is all i use away from the now desktop docked old MBP.

So, then I saw the 27" i7 iMacs and thought, why would I buy a laptop and just use it as a desktop? Especially if a tablet could be coming out? Why not just pay the same price for a much faster machine with a huge display and be done with it?

This makes me think, are laptops dead? Will netbooks and the rumored tablet kill the flatbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

All year I thought I'd buy a new 17" MBP to replace my 2006 MBP, but then I bought a cheap netbook from a friend and that simple devil is all i use away from the now desktop docked old MBP.

So, then I saw the 27" i7 iMacs and thought, why would I buy a laptop and just use it as a desktop? Especially if a tablet could be coming out? Why not just pay the same price for a much faster machine with a huge display and be done with it?

This makes me think, are laptops dead? Will netbooks and the rumored tablet kill the flatbook?

Not if they come with forced data plans and a locked down os.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It really depends on the connectivity of the tablet. My iPhone is great for surfing, emails and fitting in my pocket. It cannot download pictures or videos from my cameras. Editing documents or a spreadsheets or pictures are not practical. It is not worth it for me to have 2 data plans. Until the tablet can connect with many things, monitors, projectors, cameras, camcorders, hard drives etc, there will be a need for laptops.