Apple's iPhone 4.0 rumored with better maps, multitasking, syncing

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 173
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He did and his account got deleted, but he is using an alias. The mods know and he?s been ?better? as mrkoolaid in the sense that he isn?t posting nearly as much and attacking posters so I?m sure the mods see no harm in letting him use that name though ?m sure he?s still on double secret probation.

OK, then it'll just be our little secret. Gotcha.

• Reply 162 of 173
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Is there an iNoun name that hasn't been suggested somewhere at sometime? Or hell, even any iWord name?

It would take me 20 minutes to whip up a program to output every word in the dictionary prefixed with the letter i. Whose got the foresight now suckers!?

Yeah, that's right. I'm coming back in a few years to make sure everyone knows what an insightful badass i am.
  • Reply 163 of 173
    I REALLY hope the iPhone never gets 'real multitasking'.

It will just encourage "dead batteries" and "slower devices" and "virus running the background".

The iphone can *ALREADY* communicate with users... from apps that are NOT running.

"Push notification" is MUCH better than "multitasking".

"Multitasking" is so 1985ish.
  • Reply 164 of 173
    Quote:

He did and his account got deleted, but he is using an alias. The mods know and he?s been ?better? as mrkoolaid in the sense that he isn?t posting nearly as much and attacking posters so I?m sure the mods see no harm in letting him use that name though ?m sure he?s still on double secret probation.

Solipism must be a mod spy- or forum yenta- take your pick.
  • Reply 165 of 173
    It says that the only devices that are going to get the update are the iPhone 3g & 3gs. It wouldn't make sense to not give the 2nd and 3rd gen iPod an update. They are both faster than the iPhone 3g. Is there some hardware thing that only the iPhones have and I don't know about?
  • Reply 166 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

It says that the only devices that are going to get the update are the iPhone 3g & 3gs. It wouldn't make sense to not give the 2nd and 3rd gen iPod an update. They are both faster than the iPhone 3g. Is there some hardware thing that only the iPhones have and I don't know about?

The iPod HW update has always followed the iPhone HW update by a few months. I?m sure that the iPhone and Touch of a particular year will get the update, though unfortunately Touch users may still have to pay for it.
  • Reply 167 of 173
    Quote:

The iPod HW update has always followed the iPhone HW update by a few months. I?m sure that the iPhone and Touch of a particular year will get the update, though unfortunately Touch users may still have to pay for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder how much it will cost to upgrade a third gen itouch?
  • Reply 168 of 173
    Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder how much it will cost to upgrade a third gen itouch?

The last one started at $10 and then dropped to $5, likely do to poor upgrade sales. I wouldn?t be surprised if they announce that the Touch will be on that same silly accounting policy and that is will start getting free updates along with the iPhone. My reasoning, I?d think that the free update may help encourage more sales in the App Store for iPhone 4.0 devices, especially games.
  • Reply 169 of 173
    Quote:

The last one started at $10 and then dropped to $5, likely do to poor upgrade sales. I wouldn?t be surprised if they announce that the Touch will be on that same silly accounting policy and that is will start getting free updates along with the iPhone. My reasoning, I?d think that the free update may help encourage more sales in the App Store for iPhone 4.0 devices, especially games.

That would be great if it was free. I heard that apple made a radio app for the 3g 3gs and the 2nd and 3rd gen iPod touches. It will be just like the new nanos, but what is holding apple up is trying to take song tagging one step further by adding the ability to go to iTunes and buy it right away. It might use shazam technology to identify songs that don't have tagging available. The report was soon after the new iPods were announced so I think ti would be finished by now. I bet that it will be part of the 4.0 upgrade.
  • Reply 170 of 173
    Quote:

That would be great if it was free. I heard that apple made a radio app for the 3g 3gs and the 2nd and 3rd gen iPod touches. It will be just like the new nanos, but what is holding apple up is trying to take song tagging one step further by adding the ability to go to iTunes and buy it right away. It might use shazam technology to identify songs that don't have tagging available. The report was soon after the new iPods were announced so I think ti would be finished by now. I bet that it will be part of the 4.0 upgrade.

What I think you might be referring to is the WiFi/Bluetooth chip in these phones which also contain within them an FM radio. Many of the chips in these devices have features that are never enabled.
  • Reply 171 of 173
    Quote:

What I think you might be referring to is the WiFi/Bluetooth chip in these phones which also contain within them an FM radio. Many of the chips in these devices have features that are never enabled.

Yeah the broadcam chips can recieve fm signals and the new itouch can also trasmit fm signals. Right now they are only used for Nike plus iPod but the article on 9to5 mac said apple was making an in house radio.app for the two newer models that I said before. You can see the article at http://www.9to5mac.com/iPhone-fm-app.
  • Reply 172 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Could we finally have WiFi syncing for the iPhone? I would really love to be rid of the USB cable for anything but charging. The AppleTV syncs large amounts of content over WiFi without issue, why can't the iPhone do the same thing?

Just yesterday I downloaded a new audiobook just to be disappointed when I got into the car because I had forgot to connect my iPhone to the digital ball and chain!

sync and charge via bluetooth FTW!!!! no more data cable.
  • Reply 173 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

iTablet sounds clunky, iPad or Slate ( not iSlate, isolate ) both sound better to me.

... and doesn't someone in Star Wars try to 'iSlate that power coupling' or something?

I think it won't be called the iSlate simply because this is too descriptive of its release - "is late".