Google fights Flash, adds HTML5 support for YouTube videos in Safari

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I take back my previous comments, the HTML 5 version of youtube is in a very early stage it appears and is really half baked, since it does not support clips with ads in them or any of the embeded videos. Also full screen is not available. Even if Google follows through I don't see this being adopted for full use in anything less then a year. At least this might push flash to make a better mac version of the plugin.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Well yeah, this is all brand new. HTML5 in both Youtube and Vimeo are in early beta. HMTL5 tag support in the browsers is brand new technology. It'll take a little time for it to mature and gain the full functionality of flash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I take back my previous comments, the HTML 5 version of youtube is in a very early stage it appears and is really half baked, since it does not support clips with ads in them or any of the embeded videos. Also full screen is not available.

• Reply 43 of 100
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As a Flash developer

You lost me at developer.

I have nothing against Adobe, but Flash absolutely stinks.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petos View Post

They are deletable by normal means, you just have to go to both of these locations:

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

The files (or in the case of the first one there will be another folder) are the flash cookies. Put them in your recycle bin and empty it. Thats all you need to do.

More informations: http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/13/delete-flash-cookies/

EDIT: For those new to the Mac, ~ stands for your Home folder

Right you are, I meant of course the "delete cookies" method in browsers which doesn't catch Flash cookies unless you have a plug-in that does it for you.
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Mine is grey.

yea I just discovered themes...

I knew they existed, but I didn't think they were good enough to investigate.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I think Flash for Mac OS has gone downhill recently because Adobe wants to strike back at Apple. For releasing Aperture (a Lightroom competitor), for adding photo touch-up features to iPhoto (competing against Photoshop), for heavily promoting QuickTime (a Flash competitor), for promoting web-based applications such as MobileMe (which don't use Flash), and for adding Preview to Mac OS X (an Acrobat competitor.)

Small point but Apeture 1.0 was released November 30, 2005 and Lightroom 1.0 February 19, 2007, 14 months later.

But back to your point about Flash vs battery life, I too see about a 70% reduction in battery life when I have flash enabled.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Quote:

I really don't get this. I have 3 macs. iMac core solo, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Flash runs fine on all of them. I have never experienced any problems whatsoever. I don't know anything about battery life when viewing Flash video for extended durations since I never do that but all this criticism of Adobe and Flash I find quite unfounded. As a Flash developer I understand the appropriate use of Flash and I am well aware of the limitations and challenges associated with navigation, search-ability and every thing else concerning web deployment, but let's be reasonable about this, it does not kill your computer, It is not some crime against humanity justifying a holy jihad against Adobe. This line of thinking has no basis in logic. You people are just freaking nuts, going on and on about nothing based on some perceived discord between your prophet SJ and Flash. Geez, get over it it, is just the web, No big deal.

Agreed that the Flash-hate is excessive. But I've absolutely had problems with Flash-heavy pages pegging my CPU (MacBook Core Duo, MacMini Core Solo), fans blazing like crazy. In a sense, Flash HAS 'killed my computer', as it becomes rather hot and very unresponsive, until I've either closed the offending page or (in some cases) quit my browser (FF or Safari), which is annoying as I tend to keep a dozen or so tabs open - maybe my bad habits are partly to blame here These problems do seem to be fairly common on (in particular) non-Windows systems. If you think this is just Apple-zealots going off, you should hear what the Linux folks say. Opinion seems to be divided about whether problems are caused by poor Flash coding or Flash per se.

I appreciate that it's hard to separate the signal of legitimate complaint from the noise, but that doesn't mean that it's not there.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I put YouTube.com in my ClickToFfash whitelist, then opted-in on the YouTube HTML5 beta. I checked the Activity Monitor while playing a news video, and the CPU usage for both cores hovered at about a steady 20%. I did not see any spikes above the aforementioned CPU usage. The CPU is a Core 2 Duo and there is 4GB memory installed, SL is at 10.6.2, and Safari is at 4.04.

I am happy to see some movement toward HTML5 occurring.

I didn't see the same benefit. Visited the following:

http://www.youtube.com/html5

clicked join HTML5, searched for uncharted. Then clicked the second video (only video without ads work - it should be Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Intro and Chapter 1 Ambushed). My CPU in Safari 4.0.3 is 80-120% with HTML5 and the video stutters.

Going back to the above URL and disable the html5, same video in Flash, no stuttering and CPU is 50-60%.

I tried it with a few videos and get the same result - no higher quality but double the CPU usage. So far, I'm not too impressed with HTML5.

It's not just the video either but the animation capabilities too. At least with Flash, I can disable it so that websites load and play in a reasonable time, with HTML 5, you will have the same adverts and slow-down but you can't avoid it.

I guess once the standard gets fully developed, Apple can hardware accelerate the graphics rendering to avoid some slow-down but we'll see.

Someone seriously needs to make an IDE for this stuff including page layout. Even if it's Microsoft with their XAML and Silverlight. A web designer should be able to layout an interface graphically (no hand coding CSS or HTML) and a developer should be able use those files like Apple's XML .nib files directly inside an IDE.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

This is an Apple forum, so reacting in an emotional uniformed illogical manner is par for the course. ZOMG!!! M$ Windoze, Apple is right about everything!!! Thank you sir may I have another!! We've always been at war with East Asia!

Not true, there are plenty of trolls around too, such as yourself, spreading nonsense like, say, the contents of your post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CandTsmac View Post

Dude, relax. How can you say that to me, I was just stating an opinion. WOW.

Because in his opinion your post was illogical and ill-informed. I agree. If you think Java is lowest-common-denominator crap used to create web pages, you are indeed wildly ill-informed.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I take back my previous comments, the HTML 5 version of youtube is in a very early stage it appears and is really half baked, since it does not support clips with ads in them or any of the embeded videos. Also full screen is not available. Even if Google follows through I don't see this being adopted for full use in anything less then a year. At least this might push flash to make a better mac version of the plugin.

The problems you list were explained in the article... it's a beta, videos with ads don't work and there's no full screen option. Whether your guess of a year is accurate or not remains to be seen.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Vimeo is also releasing the beta of its HTML5 player. I like Vimeo much better than YouTube. The quality of the content as well as the quality of the video is far better. Full screen Youtube video looks like shite. Full screen Vimeo is far superior.

Try our new HTML5 player!

Oddly, I get some stutters in HTML5 that I don't on Flash. 2009 Mac Mini. Movies are fully loaded.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    Make no mistake, this is to allow the tablets to play YouTube videos in the browser. The iPhones did not need this because they have a special app. The Macs did not need this because they can use flash. So what uses Safari and possibly Chrome, does h.264 will not support running flash? Ta-daaaa!

Many who think Google and Apple are at war could not be more mistaken. The fact of the matter is that they have to compete a little in order to keep the anti-trust dogs at bay.

If you recall, anti-trust issues nearly destroyed Microsoft over the past decade. MS just recently got the European Union off their back. This is a problem that Google and Apple will do what ever it takes to avoid.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Maybe it's just me, but the HTML5 videos don't look nearly as good as flash videos. When viewing regular flash videos in YouTube, they appear smooth and crisp in Safari or Chrome in OS X. Looking at the same videos in HTML5 look blocky and pixelated -- and the color appears off.

Not to mention, I don't see an option to go to higher def quality like 720p or 1080p that I see with flash videos on YouTube.

That's what I'm seeing right now. It's a good start, but I'll stick to flash for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdspvErqME

HTML5 in Chrome

Flash 360p in Chrome (720p and 1080p are even better)

• Reply 54 of 100
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I really don't get this. I have 3 macs. iMac core solo, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Flash runs fine on all of them. I have never experienced any problems whatsoever. I don't know anything about battery life when viewing Flash video for extended durations since I never do that but all this criticism of Adobe and Flash I find quite unfounded. As a Flash developer I understand the appropriate use of Flash and I am well aware of the limitations and challenges associated with navigation, search-ability and every thing else concerning web deployment, but let's be reasonable about this, it does not kill your computer, It is not some crime against humanity justifying a holy jihad against Adobe. This line of thinking has no basis in logic. You people are just freaking nuts, going on and on about nothing based on some perceived discord between your prophet SJ and Flash. Geez, get over it it, is just the web, No big deal.

on my HP laptop i get 60-90 minutes of battery on flash enabled sites like facebook. any non-flash sites and i get my regular 3 hours worth of battery.

i have a decent dual core centrino laptop and every time it goes to a flash site the fan starts going crazy because it's so CPU intensive. on a website like AI it's silent. same with my mac. i can go to the silverlight enabled version of microsoft.com and it won't kill my CPU like flash does.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Looks like Firefox isn't supported because it's an open source project that can't pay royalties on the patent-encumbered H.264 codec.

That's just it; it doesn't HAVE to pay royalties on anything.

Firefox is perfectly free to hook into Quicktime (Mac OS X), DirectShow (Microsoft Windows), or gstreamer (Linux/UNIX systems) to get access to codecs already installed and licensed on the operating system.

They really should have made this an option rather than crippling h.264 video in Firefox entirely. I am quite disappointed in Mozilla for this. Sigh.
  • Reply 56 of 100
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I'm talking about Chrome in OS X, not Windows.

not all YouTube videos work with HTML 5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Maybe it's just me, but the HTML5 videos don't look nearly as good as flash videos. When viewing regular flash videos in YouTube, they appear smooth and crisp in Safari or Chrome in OS X. Looking at the same videos in HTML5 look blocky and pixelated -- and the color appears off.

Not to mention, I don't see an option to go to higher def quality like 720p or 1080p that I see with flash videos on YouTube.

That's what I'm seeing right now. It's a good start, but I'll stick to flash for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdspvErqME

HTML5 in Chrome

http://i45.tinypic.com/2yx2fls.jpg

Flash 360p in Chrome (720p and 1080p are even better)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2e1vuhw.jpg

maybe because it is still a beta?
  • Reply 57 of 100
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

maybe because it is still a beta?

Which is why I said:

Quote:

• Reply 58 of 100
    We're rolling out a new beta test today: the HTML5 player!

That said, there are some drawbacks: It's a beta test -- it might be buggy!

Vimeo Blog

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oddly, I get some stutters in HTML5 that I don't on Flash. 2009 Mac Mini. Movies are fully loaded.

• Reply 59 of 100
    Okay I've been trying since yesterday but can't seem to get the beta to work. I am in the beta program according the above link but only get an "Old Flash? Go Upgrade!" link in the player.

Am I doing it wrong?
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Mostly all of the video on YouTube is blocky and pixelated. The compression Google uses in YouTube is horrid.

You should look at Vimeo to see the stark difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post