Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 341 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the iPad will sync some apps' documents via either iTunes or MobileMe, including photos, music, movies, TV shows, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks...

confusing: Mobile me already syncs all the entities listed.

Will the new system synchronize documents from iWork wirelessly and seamlessly just as it does all those other files?

The article seems to build to that conclusion, but then falls far short with the concluding sentence: "some apps' documents" and a list that doesn't mention iWorks docs.

anybody know?
  • Reply 342 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Quite true. Though I've spent some time on this forum topic defending my right to voice an opinion, I too believe the iPad is an exceptional product, worthy of praise. I'm personally making a decision currently as to whether it will be appropriate for my mom. And though I realize this is not its intention, I'm actually considering it for her as her main computer. The items which I've been wondering about currently are Printing, Filing System, CDs/DVDs, photos and music. My mom is looking at the Mac Mini and has been for quite some time, but even the Mini is at the uttermost limits of her budget -- believe it or not, in this fantastic fiat currency paper money economy we've got going -- yes, her budget is limited..lol.

Admittedly, she probably wouldn't use the filing system much, but even back when she was using an old iMac G3, she did save things occasionally, so it's a very small concern. I've been wondering, if she were to purchase the iPad as her main computer, how long would it be before she would have to come to me to back up her photos (if she also bought a camera)? And given iPhoto's filing system, how easy would it be for me to make a backup for her on my computer? And then there's music of course. She just now started using CDs, so she may not be interested in iTunes. But you never know.

I know this computer is not intended to be one's main computer. But for my mom it actually might just fit the bill. The surfing and email capabilities are fantastic. But like I said, the printing capability and a few other things I still wonder about just because I know she's needed them before. And I don't want her to have to drive 30 minutes to my house every time she wants to print something.

I believe quite strongly that Apple intends for some people, and it will just be a few at first, to use this as their computer. People are great at rationalizing convenience as being their most important focus.

If they get their cloud services (oh, how I dislike that term) up and running soon, then what more will many people need? Yes, the screen is small, yes, by today's standards the rez is low, but you know what? With more people going to smaller notebooks as their main, or only machine, this isn't so impossible a thought anymore.

I even know a couple who use a netbook as their only machine, dreadful as they are, and they truly are. This seems, from what I've read from those who have actually used it, much faster than even the fastest Windows netbook. Yes, Linux netbooks are somewhat faster than their Windows counterparts, but no matter how hard the Linux community tries to say so, they haven't caught on. People just don't want them. I installed Win 7 on my daughter's Toshiba 205 netbook that I bought her for the summer for her schooling in the UK, but it's no faster than it was with the original Win XP Basic. It's maddeningly slow.

But this isn't. Get the keyboard dock, and it seems real nice. Put the whole thing in a draw when not being used.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing 15" models, and even bigger ones later on.
  • Reply 343 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the ipad is not a computer

it is a media player

and go forth young man and enjoy linux all you want

and the linux forums are cool too !!

good bye

It's pretty obvious that it is a computer.
  • Reply 344 of 507
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

Along with a camera and multitasking? Yes, yes, we have heard this before.

I don't want to find out that I have purchased an $850 brick with a cheap 64 gig hard drive when I can go out and buy a 500 gig mini pocket drive for under a hundred bucks. I mean, what type of economy does Steve Jobs think this is? To be quite honest, I'm not really comfortable with a watered down OS on ANY device for over $300 dollars.

OMG

it is a brick

it is a media playback device

not a computer

please don't buy it

net books for you
  • Reply 345 of 507
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Holy crap, it was an EXAMPLE. What is so complicated about this?

Users should be allowed to organize and browse their files any way they want. Applications should not isolate and hoard file types.

Users can do this. Apple and other companies offer software that offer a variety of solutions, if you don't like one, use another. That's why there is choice, that's why there are alternatives. You're determined to argue. If every piece of software worked in the same way, there would be no choice - no doubt you'd complain about that too.
  • Reply 346 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I even know a couple who use a netbook as their only machine, dreadful as they are, and they truly are. This seems, from what I've read from those who have actually used it, much faster than even the fastest Windows netbook.

Definitely. I can see from just watching the keynote that the iPad is MUCH faster than many netbooks. I know a few folks with cheaper netbooks and I know how painfully slow they can be. The iPad's simplicity factor no doubt contributes to its blazing speed. I can appreciate that.
  • Reply 347 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It works well for songs and photos or other single type of content and is mainly for viewing/listening. But iTunes and iPhoto also essentially act as content servers to share the media with other applications. Are all 3rd party apps expected to build in that same capability?

And you sort of invalidated your entire argument when you say you drag your content to the desktop or to other applications when you need it there. How can you do that when the iPad (currently) can't multitask and there really isn't a desktop to drag a file to.

Ok, great; but just how do you propose tagging the files and, more importantly, viewing the collection of files you tagged with that project? You'd need an app to allow you to identify the files you want to tag and then view the related files the way you've organized them.

Guess what, you just reinvented the Finder, the Mac's file management application. Granted, you may not be navigating according to the actual file structure of the operating system, but you've still created a virtual file structure the user needs to be able to navigate.

This new file management system will work fine when you have a relatively small number of file types and limited interaction between apps (what would you break if you deleted an app and all it's related documents and other apps were referencing those documents?).

Sorry if what I repeat has been discussed, but I realize why I rarely post...3 pages!! I can't keep up

I said Apple is heading towards this type of file management. It's far from perfect. iLife is the 1st step in this direction, the iPad and iPhone are the next steps. Believe you me what we're seeing now is far from what this will look like in several years.

As for dragging to the desktop I can't remember the last time I did that. Usually if I need to use another application I will either drag the file onto that application OR if I need to use an iLife document, I will use the media browser within the application I'm using.

I design websites and can easily imagine a system where I don't need specific folders or the finder to complete the site.

Give it time. The iPad OS is barely ready to replace a computer for basic home use let alone professional use.
  • Reply 348 of 507
    Quote:

Holy crap, it was an EXAMPLE. What is so complicated about this?

Users should be allowed to organize and browse their files any way they want. Applications should not isolate and hoard file types.

It is complicated. That's the problem.

The goal of computer scientists for decades has been to eliminate these individual folders. It's not just Apple.

Besides the folders are just a metaphor anyway. They don't exist.

While we all seem to like them, because they make us feel comfortable, are they REALLY needed? My daughter and her friends use Spotlight to find everything. I don't think they care at all. When I look through her machine, it's a disorganized mess, and I talk to her about that, but she knows how to find whatever she needs. Her machine is automatically backed up incrementally, so she won't loose anything. Maybe the problem is us.
  • Reply 349 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes, I agree, completely with you.

but Apple know exactly the future of this device, and they know all about it's potential, and the potential for 'grown up' devices built on the model that this will form the foundations of. To suggest the Apple don't realise that this will go a long way and be used in many different ways, by many different sectors is a wee bit naive. iPad = iDollars and a future market place, or Apple wouldn't be launching it - apple are FULLY aware of it's potential.

Apple is brilliant 95% of the time. But that doesn't change the fact that they're still infuriatingly stubborn the other 5% of the time.

One example that comes to mind: the Mouse. Apple brilliantly pioneered the GUI and mouse in consumer personal computers. Today EVERYBODY uses a GUI and mouse.

On the other hand, they resisted 2-button mouse functionality for years. THAT was retarded. They knew it was retarded, but it was a matter of pride for them.

It's OK to hide potentially confusing features from newbie users (i.e. the secondary click touchpad function) but it's not OK to completely hold back an essential feature such as this from millions of users who do need it.

Just because Apple is the only computer software and hardware maker who demonstrates any real level of innovation and commitment to the user experience doesn't mean that they should not be criticized when they make a boneheaded move.

And just to bring my comments back into context, I am NOT suggesting that the iPad should have a conventional Finder-type file management system. My comments were directed at the notion that Apple is "reinventing file access." There's a kernel of truth there, and I certainly hope they can reinvent file access, but their current direction on the DESKTOP, as evidenced by Aperture, Iphoto, etc., still needs a lot of work before it can become truly successful.
  • Reply 350 of 507
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

1. Because you have the freedom to hack other computers if you would like to.

2. Because sometimes Apple doesn't GET IT RIGHT.

3. Because games during the golden age are clearly better than the buggy crap EA puts out now.

4. I had a sandbox too.

I can't hack with an iPad. I can't run Wireshark with an iPad. I can't play quality strategy games with an iPad (just imagine how big games are going to be that take full advantage of the screen resolution!)

sad you can't steal via torrent and lime wire

sad you can't steal

now i understand why you are so stupid

it is an appliance

not a computer

you use for games and movies and email u-tube internet stuff

not for data base type work and company work files

it is made for bored house wives

not teck gods like you

and when you say hack you say i am a thief

good luck with that
  • Reply 351 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post

I think this is where Apple has been heading for sometime......and I like it. I remember when iTunes came out. I couldn't stand it reorganizing my folders. When iPhoto came out I had a apoplectic fit as it hid all my carefully organized photo folders. You know what, after letting the applications organize my files/folders, I found it so much easier. I can't remember the last time I went looking for photos or music files in the finder. If I need a file I simply drag it to the desktop or onto the application icon in the dock that needs it.

This is where metadata could make this file system work. Tag one project's files with the project name.

Aren't "Folders" easier than that?
  • Reply 352 of 507
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple is brilliant 95% of the time. But that doesn't change the fact that they're still infuriatingly stubborn the other 5% of the time.

i would argue that brilliance and stubbornness are indefatigably intertwined. But so insanity, which leads back to a popular Einstein aphorism.
  • Reply 353 of 507
    Quote:

When I look through her machine, it's a disorganized mess, and I talk to her about that, but she knows how to find whatever she needs. Her machine is automatically backed up incrementally, so she won't loose anything. Maybe the problem is us.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I believe a lack of organizational responsibility often extends far beyond the computer realm in today's society. I particularly enjoy the entertaining TV show that was just released recently by A&E entitled "Hoarders." Perhaps this a bit off-topic but I believe that, more often than not, this is simply a learned behavior rather than some sort of mysterious medical problem. But, back to computers. Can we become TOO dependent on them? I tend to think we can.
  • Reply 354 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

I have an idea for you: Don't use iPhoto. Next!

phpmaven

Thanks for that helpful comment, "phpmaven". After seeing such insight coming from someone after just three weeks of lurking the AppleInsider forums, I await with bated breath your next contribution.

• Reply 355 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I believe a lack of organizational responsibility often extends far beyond the computer realm in today's society. I particularly enjoy the entertaining TV show that was just released recently by A&E entitled "Hoarders." Perhaps this a bit off-topic but I believe that, more often than not, this is simply a learned behavior rather than some sort of mysterious medical problem. But, back to computers. Can we become TOO dependent on them? I tend to think we can.

i find it funny that people think they're being deprived of their freedom when they can't drag and drop from a folder to another like they do with finder...there are popover lists in the ipad, this will be achievable somehow or another

do you need to be looking at where in the hard drive your files are written? what sector and cluster? no, then this should be the same...and i doubt it restricts you in any way
  • Reply 356 of 507
    Quote:

It is complicated. That's the problem.

The goal of computer scientists for decades has been to eliminate these individual folders. It's not just Apple.

Besides the folders are just a metaphor anyway. They don't exist.

While we all seem to like them, because they make us feel comfortable, are they REALLY needed? My daughter and her friends use Spotlight to find everything. I don't think they care at all. When I look through her machine, it's a disorganized mess, and I talk to her about that, but she knows how to find whatever she needs. Her machine is automatically backed up incrementally, so she won't loose anything. Maybe the problem is us.

If you place your complete trust in such a system, you're always just a misspelled filename or keyword away from losing an important file. Organizational systems need some degree of redundancy. And file folders, metaphorical or otherwise, are a great way to group related files so you can quickly find and isolate them when needed.

Projects are a great example of this. Let's say your working on a complex presentation with all sorts of files. Do you really want to wade through an endless search results list every time you want to access each individual file you're working with? Or is it simpler to just toss your project files into a folder where they will always be at your fingertips?

I fell in love with Spotlight the first time I used it. Over the years, though, I've noticed that sometimes there are quicker and easier ways to find what you want. Bottom line, I never rely on a single system.
  • Reply 357 of 507
    Quote:

If you place your complete trust in such a system, you're always just a misspelled filename or keyword away from losing an important file. Organizational systems need some degree of redundancy. And file folders, metaphorical or otherwise, are a great way to group related files so you can quickly find and isolate them when needed.

Projects are a great example of this. Let's say your working on a complex presentation with all sorts of files. Do you really want to wade through an endless search results list every time you want to access each individual file you're working with? Or is it simpler to just toss your project files into a folder where they will always be at your fingertips?

I fell in love with Spotlight the first time I used it. Over the years, though, I've noticed that sometimes there are quicker and easier ways to find what you want. Bottom line, I never rely on a single system.

Well said! Thank you.
  • Reply 358 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

i would argue that brilliance and stubbornness are indefatigably intertwined. But so irrational psychosis, which leads back to a popular Einstein aphorism.

Brilliant choice of words a very adroit post

Good to see Mel is back

The iPad is a information appliance people (Not a Computer) . I find it abstruse that people would say such

brucep thanks for the sig compliment feel free to duplicate if you want
  • Reply 359 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

The iPad is a information appliance people (Not a Computer) . I find it abstruse that people would say such

Unless the definition has changed recently, I may disagree with that statement:

com⋅put⋅er

  /kəmˈpyutər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhm-pyoo-ter] Show IPA

Use computer in a Sentence

See images of computer

Search computer on the Web

?noun

1. \tAlso called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.
  • Reply 360 of 507
    I read most the 9 pages of (mostly) rubbish being written here. Here are two points people who think this new abstracted filesystem is useless might want to consider:

1 - if you're reading this forum, you're not normal, and the iPad probably isn't aimed at you. You understand files and folders and good organisation. A lot of people don't, and this for them is a far simpler method of organising (or not) files.

2- when the first car was invented, someone would have told people "I've made this cool thing you can drive around without steam power and without man power." Most sensible people would have not responded "That's ridiculous, how are we going to steer it?" Currently, in this thread, a lot of people are saying 'what about this, what about if I want to do that?' - it's probably been thought of.