What about a new iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi AppleInsiders!

I'm new here. I was planning to buy a new iMac and I was wondering if there was any chance that Apple would refresh the current configuration with a new processor after the planned keynote at the end of this month? I'm pretty excited about getting a new iMac and I would be pretty pissed if a week after they released some awesome new iMacs!

thank you for any informations you could give me guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenjaminN View Post

...I would be pretty pissed if a week after they released some awesome new iMacs!...

Sounds like your personality is a bad match for owning high-tech stuff

Whether it's a week later r a month later, that IS going to happen. No way to avoid it.

Unfortunately Apple has never (except with the original iPhone) made advanced notification of a products availability. Sites like this are always full of RUMORS. (It's what keeps these sites in business.) ... but we never know for sure what's coming or when.

You just have to buy the product you like and realize that it's still a fine machine, even when the next best thing is released.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Hi KingOfSomewhereHot ,

First of all, thank you for your answer. I have to say that this selling strategy makes the choice even harder, because instead of choosing between four products at the current time, you have to predict what's gonna happen in the few weeks after.

That's why I think I'll wait another 10 days to buy a new iMac. Of course if anyone has more informations, I'll be glad to ear it!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would check here first.

But like the King said, new stuff is always coming out so you'll just need to accept that reality.

I've the new iMacs with the 3.0 ghz C2D cpus and they're pretty nice. The 27" iMacs with the quad core cpus look pretty future proof to me. I think you'd get 4-5 years of use out of them before feeling the need for more speed.

What do you plan on doing with your iMac?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hi backtomac,

Thank you for your link, I was exactly looking for that. From what I've seen, there was 90 days since the last update, and the average time is 221, so I can buy one, there is not so much chances they refresh the products on the next keynote.

I had a MacBook some years ago, but i sold it because i bought a new laptop. I was looking for a desktop computer to work on a bigger screen with the adobe products (flash, dreamweaver, photoshop) and to develop for iphone.

Thank you both for your answers.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    They just released it based on brand new cpus. Late spring/Summer minimum.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    The Core 2 Duo models will be updated to use the new i5 desktop processors (Clarkdale, 2 core/4 thread). Whether that comes soon or in a few months is an open question- there is no technical reason Apple could not make such an upgrade now, only business reasons.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Hi KingOfSomewhereHot ,

First of all, thank you for your answer. I have to say that this selling strategy makes the choice even harder, because instead of choosing between four products at the current time, you have to predict what's gonna happen in the few weeks after.

That's why I think I'll wait another 10 days to buy a new iMac. Of course if anyone has more informations, I'll be glad to ear it!

Actually you don't need to do that at all. All you need to do is go to the Apple store and see if there is a machine that fits your needs and budget. If so, buy one. If not, leave. I'm sure there's a radioshack in the same mall that can help you with a Dell or an HP.

It's really ridiculous the way people mentally devalue Apple's previous products because Apple likes to stay current with technology.

Apple is constantly refreshing it product line. If a product is on shelves more than 6 months, it is a ripe candidate for refresh. Nothing you can or should do differently because of it.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

... Apple likes to stay current with technology...

That's certainly debatable. Apple does frequently update stuff... but it is barely "current" technology. And never "cutting-edge" tech.

You could call it "current" in that it is widely accepted tech and fairly recent versions. But their graphics cards are a good example of how they use stuff that is generally considered "previous generation".

Don't get me wrong... it works well and is certainly strong enough to do the tasks Apple designed the machines for. It's just barely "current" though.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I totally agree! When they released the new iMacs with core 2 duo cpu, i thought it was a joke! core 2 duo were at least one year and a half old! If i wasn't looking for mac os X i would go to another brand! I mean: it's cheaper and it's stronger! If you don't like apple computers' looks or if you don't have to develop for iphone, you have no real reason to choose apple computers!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I totally agree! When they released the new iMacs with core 2 duo cpu, i thought it was a joke! core 2 duo were at least one year and a half old! If i wasn't looking for mac os X i would go to another brand! I mean: it's cheaper and it's stronger! If you don't like apple computers' looks or if you don't have to develop for iphone, you have no real reason to choose apple computers!

There's this thing called OSX. Have you heard of it?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Hi AppleInsiders!

I'm new here. I was planning to buy a new iMac and I was wondering if there was any chance that Apple would refresh the current configuration with a new processor after the planned keynote at the end of this month? I'm pretty excited about getting a new iMac and I would be pretty pissed if a week after they released some awesome new iMacs!

thank you for any informations you could give me guys!

At the end of this month? You mean the announcement on the 27th?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaahhahahahahah!!!!!!!! !!

EDIT: Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

As the others have said, they will eventually update their gear to the new processors but I'm afraid MORE than likely they will not announce such upgrades on the media event on the 27th. Such an update will happen later in the year. Perhaps before summer but I'm guessing June..ish.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

There's this thing called OSX. Have you heard of it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenjaminN

If i wasn't looking for mac os X

I mentioned it.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    On the french apple store there is a two weeks delay to get a imac 27'. could it be a sign?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

On the french apple store there is a two weeks delay to get a imac 27'. could it be a sign?

Sorry but don't get your hopes up. The highest probability scenario, based on the update cycle of the machine, is that the iMac will not have an update before long (months counting from now). Furthermore, the current iMac, updated about three months ago, is the first consumer-level Apple machine sporting a 4-core processor, essentially annihilating the need for an update in the short term.

In conclusion, an update may happen because no one knows if something is coming, but at this point is highly unlikely .
  • Reply 15 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Oh, and there is also this rumor, although I never understood the need for that.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Imagine having bought the tablet and use it around the streets, at work and wherever we

are. Then you get home, place the tablet in an iMac Dock et voila: our tablet has

transformed into an iMac. Here, I believe that the next iMac will be in this way.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Sounds like your personality is a bad match for owning high-tech stuff

what an awful thing to say. im sure the OP has a personality that needs hi tech goods just as much as yours does.

i bet you'd be pretty gutted if you just shelled out good money on an item that gets replaced a few days later. or are you one of those that likes to ''take it for team apple'' ?

being cautious about buying gear thats on the verge of being improved or refreshed is something everybody is unless they are buying in early or mid cycle. i'd wager you too would fall in that camp.

sure, IT is always changing and ever evolving and getting bigger ( ipod touch to ipad, couldnt resist) but there's absloutley nothing wrong in exercising caution at the end of a product's life time. I was on the very VERGE of buying an old 24" imac in early october as my forst mac until some guy told me i should really wait a little longer....and guess what...2 weeks later i had the chance of a 27" imac for less money.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Good god, BlueFox!!! ... did you happen to notice the smiley at the end of that statement?

It's use on forum posts generally denotes friendly teasing... (as opposed to saying something "awful".)

And I get the impression from his later posts that he understood.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Actually the smiley meant for me "no offense but..."

By the way, i haven't bought any imac yet, mainly because there are out of stock everywhere! This is painful.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Actually the smiley meant for me "no offense but..."

By the way, i haven't bought any imac yet, mainly because there are out of stock everywhere! This is painful.

Another pain is that some of the warehouses have raised their prices on the 27" i5 and i7 for whatever reason: scarcity? Who knows?