'iPad' is a joke...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

and whats wrong with using the iPad as a mirror to prune the hair in my nose?! The device is something you hold in your hand and it will be great for Skype style video calls. The screen is actually big enough for having a decent video chat as opposed to 3G based phones.

Think about it. Holding it out in your hand for a short phone call will be ok. But after awhile your arm will get tired and you will set the iPad down for a rest. If your sitting at a table this would be ok as you can either use one of Apples' docks or another means to prop it up. However if your sitting in a easy chair or on the couch (think back to the SJ demonstration) you will rest it in your lap. The view from that angle is right up your nose.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post

you really..and i mean *really* think the ipad has a bigger market than a lap top?!

lol hillarious!

Potentially, yes. There are a lot more people out there without lap tops than there are with lap tops. For the average person computers are a scary thing that they do not understand and nor know how to set up. Because of that acknowledged ignorance, unless they have someone who does understand computers most people stay away from computers. Lap tops are worst because you now have wifi and network issues to work. If you don't understand your desk computer or your home LAN you would be totally lost with a roaming lap top. This is the market that Apple is addressing with the iPad.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Potentially, yes. There are a lot more people out there without lap tops than there are with lap tops. For the average person computers are a scary thing that they do not understand and nor know how to set up. Because of that acknowledged ignorance, unless they have someone who does understand computers most people stay away from computers. Lap tops are worst because you now have wifi and network issues to work. If you don't understand your desk computer or your home LAN you would be totally lost with a roaming lap top. This is the market that Apple is addressing with the iPad.

it most definatly IS the market apple are looking to expand but it's insanity to think there is a bigger market for an ipad then there is for a lap top. it's also a very clever additional revenue stream for itunes. apple arn't doing a service to the inbetween personal computer/media centre buyers here, apple are helping themselves. you can only buy media from THEM and can only use it on THEIR machines...and we claim to 'own ' it?!!!

for a start, not a single ipad has been sold yet!!!
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Yes, the potential market for a iPad is much bigger than the actual market for a lap top. Go out and look around. Look around town (and I mean a regular town, not a college town), how many lap tops do you see? Not many? This is the market that Apple hopes to tap. And it is much bigger than the existing lap top market.

The iPad is not addressing the personal computer/media center buyers. Due to the current state of media distribution these people have to be very geeky. They have to know and understand media types, file formats and how to transfer between them. The iPad is simplifying all that downward for the non-geeky types. It is a simple, limited feature device that the non-geeky can use without worrying about the minutia of file types and formats.

And we can only play items purchased by Apple? That's funny, most of what I have in iTunes, on my Apple TV and my iPod Touch was not purchased from Apple. I admit that I had to be geeky and convert some of my video file formats but podcasts and CDs play just fine.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

it most definatly IS the market apple are looking to expand but it's insanity to think there is a bigger market for an ipad then there is for a lap top. it's also a very clever additional revenue stream for itunes. apple arn't doing a service to the inbetween personal computer/media centre buyers here, apple are helping themselves. you can only buy media from THEM and can only use it on THEIR machines...and we claim to 'own ' it?!!!

for a start, not a single ipad has been sold yet!!!

Sigh. Again. Apple, in it's most recent financial filings, explicitly stated that they run both the iTunes Store and App Store at "a little better than break even."

Apple doesn't make a lot of money on those operations, they are value added propositions that help them sell hardware.

And, again, as you apparently don't know, I can currently put non iTunes media on my iPhone, and will undoubtably be able to do so with the iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sigh. Again. Apple, in it's most recent financial filings, explicitly stated that they run both the iTunes Store and App Store at "a little better than break even."

Apple doesn't make a lot of money on those operations, they are value added propositions that help them sell hardware.

And, again, as you apparently don't know, I can currently put non iTunes media on my iPhone, and will undoubtably be able to do so with the iPad.

farts..again and loudly...

as apparently you seem to be blatantly oblivious to a basic fact...no one would buy an ipod if they couldn't 'rip' the cd's that they owned into an apple readable format.

i'd like to see you do that with an ebook or video you buy from the itunes for the ipad device...but im sure in your world of ipads and world peace that theres a gargangtuan starving, rabid market for it already...watch your fingers.

itunes NEEDS the revenues from ebooks...even if apple were to charge an extortionate amount like $10 a book, they're making money hand over fist with zero printing costs, distribution costs, paper mill costs. make an economic contribution to back up your folley when you start high school.

but still, it's always nice to know there's folk intelectaully more challenged than others when you have the nuts to publically claim that there's a bigger market for an ipad than a lap top personal computer. we got a serious giggle from that :-) why don't you go work for apple's business intelligence unit ??!!
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

as apparently you seem to be blatantly oblivious to a basic fact...no one would buy an ipod if they couldn't 'rip' the cd's that they owned into an apple readable format.

i'd like to see you do that with an ebook or video you buy from the itunes for the ipad device...but im sure in your world of ipads and world peace that theres a gargangtuan starving, rabid market for it already...watch your fingers.

but still, it's always nice to know there's folk intelectaully more challenged than others when you have the nuts to publically claim that there's a bigger market for an ipad than a lap top personal computer.

Uh..... I can't be bothered to figure out what any of that means. I get that you're a little touchy on the subject.

Anywho, I was responding to the notion that Apple is looking to rake in the cash by locking us to the iTunes Store. They neither rake in cash on the operation nor particularly lock us to iTunes purchased media.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

itunes NEEDS the revenues from ebooks...even if apple were to charge an extortionate amount like $10 a book, they're making money hand over fist with zero printing costs, distribution costs, paper mill costs. make an economic contribution to back up your folley when you start high school.

but still, it's always nice to know there's folk intelectaully more challenged than others when you have the nuts to publically claim that there's a bigger market for an ipad than a lap top personal computer. we got a serious giggle from that :-) why don't you go work for apple's business intelligence unit ??!!

Emm ... The only reason you can't rip DVDs into iTunes is the DVD publishers. The DVDs are encrypted and it is illegal for Apple to provide the means to decrypt them so that they can be stored onto another digital device. They do have a license from the DVD forum to play DVDs but that license prohibits Apple form providing the means to rip DVDs. Otherwise I am sure that Apple would be glad to manage your files for you. They have no problem and impediment for my own files and those I've downloaded from the internet.

As for eBooks. Apple stated that they will be using the ePub standard. This is a wide spread standard that is used by many different organizations. Many of which do not apply DRM to their files. I do not see Apple restricting their use on the iPad. After all they improve the usefulness of the iPad at no cost to Apple.

As far as the lap top/non-lap top markets, get out of that little cubby you're hiding in and look around. There are a lot more people out there without lap tops than with lap tops. And from the surge of netbook sales it seams that many of them would like to join the electronic media revolution but are afraid of getting the full size lap tops because they do not understand them. This is the market that the iPad is addressing. And these people DO outnumber us geeks. (Like I am a true geek.)
  • Reply 49 of 50
    addabox,

bluefox9er just joined the forum yesterday. So he is either an opinionated hothead who is just interested in stirring up a fuss, or someone out on a FUD mission. Either way I'm not going to play his game anymore.

And sorry that he appended his response to me with your message.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

addabox,

bluefox9er just joined the forum yesterday. So he is either an opinionated hothead who is just interested in stirring up a fuss, or someone out on a FUD mission. Either way I'm not going to play his game anymore.

And sorry that he appended his response to me with your message.

I have to assume that at least some of the people that have abruptly shown up to vigorously explain why the iPad will surely fail are paid shills. I generally try not to call any one person out, because unless they're not very good at it it's pretty hard to tell the compensated from merely opinionated.

But we'd be naive not to realize that paying people to flood online forums with negative impressions is part of some companies' way of doing business.