MBP: WTF? When!?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

So I was ready to buy a newly updated MacBook Pro. I need one soon-ish for work and school. I can hold out a few more weeks. Thoughts on MBP updates anyone? Ya'll think it'll come out in a few weeks? My thinking was Steve just wanted to make sure all the press was on the iPad.

Same with me, after all I thought they will bring the update in the yesterday event. It's my concern for quite some time that Apple increasingly turns to become a home entertainment vendor. In principle it's not a bad thing as the numbers prove but Apple would do bad to forget us professionals. Eventually we need to make money using that tools and as such they should be up to date any time.

We cannot wait just for fun. It would help a lot (and would be more professional in my eyes) if Apple provided information on the roadmap some time in advance. If I know that the i5 MBPs will be available in week xx I could plan and live with it. But I cannot calculate on rumors.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meshope View Post

Apple would do bad to forget us professionals...It would help a lot (and would be more professional in my eyes) if Apple provided information on the roadmap some time in advance. If I know that the i5 MBPs will be available in week xx I could plan and live with it. But I cannot calculate on rumors.

EXCELLENT point meshope. I used to think this secrecy was "cool" when I was in like...high school. Now, I'd rather know when the next update is coming out. For completely new devices like iPad, iPod and iPhone I can understand. In fact, it's probably a good idea to make a big splash by making it a surprise. But for run of the mill laptop and desktop updates...So stupid. I bet that'll be one of the first changes when Steve leaves. I love The Steve but this is one change I look forward to.

Outsider Win7 is slow with 4 gigs? You did say you were running other OS X apps...how much RAM remained for Windows? Does Win 7 use more RAM than XP? I thought it was supposed to be efficient. I know MS states XP requires 64-128 megs of RAM. And Win 7 1 gig, or 2 gigs for 64-bit. But does it REALLY eat this much more RAM? Yeesh I was hoping to get by with 5 gigs. Perhaps I'll need 8.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Outsider Win7 is slow with 4 gigs? You did say you were running other OS X apps...how much RAM remained for Windows? Does Win 7 use more RAM than XP? I thought it was supposed to be efficient. I know MS states XP requires 64-128 megs of RAM. And Win 7 1 gig, or 2 gigs for 64-bit. But does it REALLY eat this much more RAM? Yeesh I was hoping to get by with 5 gigs. Perhaps I'll need 8.

Well, when doing web development on my Mac, I have to regularly test sites in IE6, 7, and now 8. I use a utility that lets me run all those concurrently but it takes a lot of memory. i reserve 1GB and it's still pretty slow. That leaves 3GB for the Mac side and Photoshop takes up a good portion of that depending on how many files I have open. Safari and Firefox are not very meager when it comes to memory too.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    i was hoping to wait out for the machines, but i had to replace a 2.16 c2d mbp b/c it was dying.. The new machine is significantly more awesome than the old one. Trackpad is better, its noticeably faster, screen is 100x better, I actually like the keyboard even though i thought i wouldn't and it has 4G of ram instead of 3, which I've noticed when doing heavy stuff. The battery seems to actually last 5-6 hours of use.

Yeah, sure, waiting is all good and everything, but the C2D current crop kicks some serious ass.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    I am hoping the new Arrandale MBP's will be cooler than the current C2D's. That would be a feature worth waiting for.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Aquatic:

Outsider is probably using virtualization to test IE. VMware calls it Unity and not sure what Parallels calls it. But any virtualization uses a lot of ram and is slow. He's only dedicating 1 gig of RAM and Microsoft recommends 2 gig. One gig is the minimum Vista or 7 will use so yes, Vista and 7 use more ram than XP. Thats why you never see a Vista netbook. Netbooks all run XP because of how inefficient Vista is. You're starting to see some 7 netbooks and they have improved performance but also the hardware has improved, too. If you're going to use virtualization I recommend sticking with XP

If you run Windows in Boot Camp it does not run slow on 4 gig of ram. Just use 64-bit Windows to get the full effect
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Yup, I'm waiting for Arrandale too. I was expecting them at the iPad launch since Apple won't be at MWSF this year.

Last Apple laptop I owned was my 600mhz G3 iBook I bought in '02.

Been waiting for Arrandale for 6-8 months. No particular hurry, just want to buy at the beginning of the new tech for more value.

Happy with the increased performance, but was hoping to see increased battery life too. Not that '7 hours' isn't enough, I was just looking forward to buying a new chip with more power AND battery life.

Make mine a 13".
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Frys electronics in CA is taking 150.00 off the entry level MBP if that means anything regarding new MBP being released soon.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    That's a good sign, the Fry's sale. bbwi I'd noticed that all netbooks sell with XP. Kind of sad for MS. I keep hearing Win 7 is so "efficient". I guess not. I noticed because I was considering a building a Hackintosh for a while for my fiancee...she kept saying no no no and I finally got the message.

Well...I guess we'll all just wait and see...I'm predicting definitely within the next 3 week... just a gut feeling...
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigstar81 View Post

Frys electronics in CA is taking 150.00 off the entry level MBP if that means anything regarding new MBP being released soon.

The largest Apple retailer in Germany - Gravis - is offering the 13" MBP with 4GB at the price of the entry level configuration with 2GB. Special offer from Jan 26 - Feb 5 worth a discount of roughly 130$. It seems they want to sell off the stock before the new ones appear. It may happen in the week of Feb 8 !
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Usually Appleinsider has news of reports of limited stock of an item if it's about to be replaced.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Macmall has the mbp on discount until the 2nd

amazon has the mbp on discount as well

as noted above others have specials going on the mbp

someone else said that best buy is no longer selling the 17" mbp and that supply is short on the other mbp's in kc area

apple store has been down for around 3 or 4 hours now in the us

hmmmmmm
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

apple store has been down for around 3 or 4 hours now in the us

I don't know what they added but it wasn't MBP's. They always show the little yellow post-it that says "We'll be right back". Maybe your DNS lost connection to their site...?

I think the retailers are just anticipating the refresh. No one knows for sure it's coming yet - only that it should be coming.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    That's correct, it had the sticky note just when you clicked a product initially, but soon it went to the entire apple store link was a big sticky note...

I did notice however that previously, the MBP student discount on the entry level model was 49 dollars off, now it is 100 off. Bringing the entry level mbp down to 1099.99 for students rather than 1149
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Good sleuthing toolb0x. Geez though if they really were going to update tomorrow I feel like it would've leaked by now, don't y'all think? I think tassle may be right, maybe retailers are just almost counting on it. Because don't they usually let crap slip a day or two before, and it finds its way onto here? Well if not tomorrow, I guess in another week or two. Man I'm excited for new 'Book. I'll finally go 15" too.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    I'm not planning to purchase a new MBP until much later this year- towards August/September- so I'm not as in much of a hurry to see the next refresh. However I am very interested to see what the upcoming refresh offers so that I'll know about what to expect when the summer/fall 2010 refresh happens.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    I agree. I think we would have heard about it by now. I'd guess it's probably a pretty imminent update but I'm in no rush as well; I've been waiting since Thanksgiving. I just want a new 13" mbp with the integrated graphics to come out so they will clearance out the old ones for sub-1000 at school.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I can wait a little longer. I'm using my Rev A 12" Powerbook 867MHz running Leopard.

I've waited this long.

But it hurts.

LOL...you too?

Long live the Powerbook 12" Rev A....the original netbook!
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Heh. The original netbook would be maybe the Duo or the Powerbook 2400... The 12" Powerbook is more the MBA now - thin and powerful.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vtorch View Post

LOL...you too?

Long live the Powerbook 12" Rev A....the original netbook!

Hell yeah my fiancee has the 12" PB, refuses to change until another one this small comes out. MBA is too big! Who cares how thin it is, it's the footprint Apple!

Duos... Oh yeah, those were COOL. Pff...I bet the iPad will become the Duo 2.0. Since it lacks stuff out of the box but will dock to things plus the main Mac. This is so going to happen, let's watch folks mark my words.

Well...I guess it's time to wait until next Tuesday.