Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey

Comments

• Reply 321 of 407
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Flash games are free and that's the real reason it's not on the ipone or pad.

But try going to a network site to watch a tv show. 100% flash. Opps. Sorry. You have to buy it for something that's free.

It has nothing to do with kids but everything to do about iTunes.

There are more programs on the iPhone all the time that allow you to see Tv without Flash. Well see even more once the iPad is out for a while. Flash has seen its peak, more sites are using other methods, at the very least, in addition. By far, the most video on the web is watched from Youtube, and you don't need Flash for that, though if you have it, it will use it. Hulu and other will be going to this as well, don't believe otherwise. Apple isn't stopping us from watching these programs, many of which are free.
  • Reply 322 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hur, hur, hur it only took you a week to think of that.

Looks like you posted a picture of yourself misspelling moron! Nice going, retard!
  • Reply 323 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

The significance of not having flash on iPhone OS devices is clearly related to the importance of flash itself. If the importance of flash overall is declining, then it becomes less important if the iPad has flash.

It becomes less important if the iPad does not have Flash.

By not having Flash for the 80 million iPhones and Touches out there, which have been shown to encompass over 50% of ALL mobile browsing, including that from notebooks, netbooks, tethered applications, etc, the lack of Flash on those devices, and now on the iPad, will do more to lessen the use of Flash than anything else.

Flash on phones and other small factor products is not really all that useful for more than video. And as more video becomes available without Flash, then Flash becomes even less compelling on those platforms. So far, mobile Flash isn't the same as "computer" Flash. You can't do much with it, as has been already shown.

So what are we giving up? Just some video. For the video obsessed, that meaningful, but for the rest of us, it doesn't mean much. And there are programs for the iPhone that let us see much video and Tv shows anyway. There will be more for the iPad, no doubt.

So, possibly we'll see for a time, a dichotomy. For mobile devices, Flash will lose its importance, but will retain it for full sized machines, but then that will decline as well.

Adobe already has a program that lets developers take Flash work and make it viewable to non Flash machines. The beginning of the end.
  • Reply 324 of 407
    we are making the same point.
  • Reply 325 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

we are making the same point.

It seemed you were stating the opposite. Happy you were not.
  • Reply 326 of 407
    What's the point of a survey about a product that isn't here yet? Especially one that will rely heavily on user experience to sell it.
  • Reply 327 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artistx View Post

What's the point of a survey about a product that isn't here yet? Especially one that will rely heavily on user experience to sell it.

It's interesting to see how peoples reactions change over time. Other than that, not much. Apple will be producing this product despite the surveys.
  • Reply 328 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hur, hur, hur you is so clever with the MaxiPad pitcher, hur, hur, hur...

...you must be a genus or sumfin', hur, hur, hur

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Looks like you posted a picture of yourself misspelling moron! Nice going, retard!

• Reply 329 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hur, hur, hur you is so clever with the MaxiPad pitcher, hur, hur, hur...

...you must be a genus or sumfin', hur, hur, hur

Ok guys, cool it. It's no longer funny.
  • Reply 330 of 407
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The web doesn't run on Flash. Some services use it. They are disposable. They will be disposed of. The only question is how long it will take.

Uninstall the plugin and watch how hard it is to navigate.
  • Reply 331 of 407
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I've used ClickToFlash for at least a year now. Navigation does not change when Flash isn't on. Resources are freed up and your pages load faster. The only time I use it for watching video sites, which a new and better option is coming around the corner and which would never work on the current iPhones even if it did have Flash.
  • Reply 332 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Not true at all. And I also use Click to Flash. You should try it. Everything works so much better. and the rare times you need to see a Flash video, it's just a click away.
  • Reply 333 of 407
    Quote:

Not true at all. And I also use Click to Flash. You should try it. Everything works so much better. and the rare times you need to see a Flash video, it's just a click away.

This is pretty new. It sits in your Menu Bar and alerts you when the Flash process is using more than 30% of your processing. It can kill it quickly if the occasional lockup occurs. From the makers of VisualHub.
  • Reply 334 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Sorry, I thought I came to 4Chan by mistake.

It must have been the witty and original Maxipad picture and the tolerance of personal insults.

Apparently I'm a retard.

Quote:

Ok guys, cool it. It's no longer funny.

• Reply 335 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is pretty new. It sits in your Menu Bar and alerts you when the Flash process is using more than 30% of your processing. It can kill it quickly if the occasional lockup occurs. From the makers of VisualHub.

I saw that, and I was wondering if I should try it, but there are just so many little things I want in the machine.

Hey, I'll tell you what. YOU try it and let us know what you think.
  • Reply 336 of 407
    Quote:

I saw that, and I was wondering if I should try it, but there are just so many little things I want in the machine.

Hey, I'll tell you what. YOU try it and let us know what you think.

I am. So far it hasn't come into use, but I don't use Flash much these days and have ClickToFlash running. I use HTML5 for YouTube.com and Flash for embedded YouTube and Vimeo videos, and Hulu videos. If I need it once a month I'd think it's a lot, but sometimes you don't realize that it would be useful so I'mm give it a few days.

I like the simplicity of it. The mark against it is that it's don't allow you to move it's placement in the Menu Bar. Is that a Cocoa feature?
  • Reply 337 of 407
    My initial interest in the Apple tablet was as a digital canvas, and to be able to run programs like Sketchbook and ArtRage. However the device being a "giant iPhone" and limited OS leaves a bitter taste. I know Sketchbook is available for iPhone, but it's much more limited than the desktop counterpart.

The other issue I am having, at least as I understand it, is that the device seems like it will be a peripheral rather than a full portable. In other words, it won't replace a MacBook but it will need a MacBook to sync.

AT&T's wireless coverage where I live is bad so I have no interest in the 3G capability.
  • Reply 338 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am. So far it hasn't come into use, but I don't use Flash much these days and have ClickToFlash running. I use HTML5 for YouTube.com and Flash for embedded YouTube and Vimeo videos, and Hulu videos. If I need it once a month I'd think it's a lot, but sometimes you don't realize that it would be useful so I'mm give it a few days.

I like the simplicity of it. The mark against it is that it's don't allow you to move it's placement in the Menu Bar. Is that a Cocoa feature?

Menu bar of Safari, or the desktop? I've never been able to move anything around the desktop menu bar, and I've got a lot of stuff. Sometimes I've thought the only reason I keep getting bigger monitors is to have more room in the menu bar for junk.
  • Reply 339 of 407
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesGr View Post

My initial interest in the Apple tablet was as a digital canvas, and to be able to run programs like Sketchbook and ArtRage. However the device being a "giant iPhone" and limited OS leaves a bitter taste. I know Sketchbook is available for iPhone, but it's much more limited than the desktop counterpart.

The other issue I am having, at least as I understand it, is that the device seems like it will be a peripheral rather than a full portable. In other words, it won't replace a MacBook but it will need a MacBook to sync.

AT&T's wireless coverage where I live is bad so I have no interest in the 3G capability.

I'll bet that many programs in the app store will be adapted for the iPad in such a way so as to take advantage of the power, screen size, and extra API's. Some stuff has already been announced, and other stuff will be announced during the next couple of months. Hold off until the apps you want will be available. Better yet, send the developers a note expressing your interest.
  • Reply 340 of 407
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Back to topic- People have lost interest because this PAD is exactly what many of us have been saying- it's a large MAXI iPod. And how many iPods does one person need????

Steve Jobs himself has said the iPhone is the world's best iPod which is exactly what this is. I take that back- you can't take a picture or make a phone call on it. Even the AppleTV is basically an iPod that connects to your TV. Enough!!! The public expected something truly innovated from Apple and instead go this? The world's largest iPod????

And I doesn't matter what kind of Apps get developed for it- it's not a productivity tool. It's an iPod- for viewing and listening and playing with APple approved widgets. Good luck. Steve must have been reading a ton of magazines when convalescing to come up with this iPod reader.