Hulu to make videos available on iPad without flash - rumor

1246710

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 189
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    We're talking Video here. You could have pointed out the most popular Pandora if you wanted to make a point.



    Can you do either and read your email at the same time on your iPhone or for that matter the iPad?



    What has that got to do with the assertion that Apple does not support Free Streaming (reason for capitalization: unknown)?



    THE OP actually seemed to be talking about news, not video, for reasons I'm unsure about. If you want a video example then Youtube is a preinstalled app on the iPhone/Touch, and Apple supporting embedded mp4 content in Safari means it supports a (growing) plethora of free streaming options. Not as many as Flash perhaps, but there are other reasons for that already being discussed.



    I'm not sure how you'd propose checking your email and watching a video at the same time on a 3.5" screen, but if you'd like to tell me then I'm sure we can conjure up a solution.
  • Reply 62 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


    Yes, they will ditch their whole web site and rewrite it, even before a single iPad is sold



    No need to do all that. Just make an mobile device viewer, than an option for desktop OSes to save on resources (and battery) while Flash is the default, then HTML5 video tags as the default with Flash as an option and finally dropping Flash as a way to play video from your site. These transitions take time.
  • Reply 63 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Tek, this is 2010.



    ANd you own a dinosaur that can't handle Flash- and?
  • Reply 64 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    This was known. if Apple's slate runs on ARM, which was most likely, it will definitely not have Flash. Flash simply isn't viable for such a slow device. Note that they ship their Macs with Flash pre-installed and even made it a separate process which took time and effort on their part. They could have just made a 64-bit version of Safari and told Mac users to run in 32-bit mode while pointing the finger at Adobe to go 64-bit.



    We also knew publishing was a mess. Apple was an instigator with the prices but Adobe was taking an excessive amount and forcing publishers down because they had a monopoly. Adobe didn't play it smart, hence the switch up in their model just prior to the iPad announcement. It's Amazon that got the music labels to force Apple's hand with variable pricing. it works both ways.





    With a 13" MBP and iPhone my interest is pretty low. This is the best thing I've heard. If they get with magazine publishers and get great annotations for textbooks my interest will increase.



    Um, the original iPhone OS 1.0 came with a YouTube app. They support free streaming from Macs. There are apps in the App Store designed for streaming video. They support HTML5 and HTTP Streaming from Safari. I've already posted examples of Apple supporting streaming.



    Just because Flash runs bad on the iPhone doesn't make it an Adobe problem. I think it makes it an Apple Problem on what chipset they support. But for the record ARM does support Flash and given that Apple's Advertisings and current base of users is for people with disposable income (or their kids that still have Daddy's card in their wallet).



    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9823242,00.htm



    A yearly update puts Apple at a disadvantage with the ever evolving mobile chip sets (reason why Android will surpass Apple in 2 years).



    Um, as for the original iPhone supporting YouTube, all content had to be converted to a format that iPhone could play. In the beginning it tooks weeks for posted content to be available for the iPhone.

    2nd and for me the most important. YouTube is for young users to post their latest party content. Hulu is a media that I watch (Television & Movies).



    As for Apple driving up the EBook rates. If I have to pay more for an EBook than I do for a paperback book then it's not worth the price.



    For me a good book is to shared after I read it. I can't do that under Apple's Umbrella and I'm certainly not paying more money to have the privelage of putting it on 2 devices (iPhone, iPad).



    Apple screwed the end user trying to kill the Kindle. I think no publishers were interested in the iPad until Apple said we can all make more money. Amazon caved because they had to.
  • Reply 65 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    There are alot of people that still have a need or want a desktop. Even in the world of Apple SJ understands this which is why he makes a 27" iMac. However there are some fairly powerful notebooks these days. What we really could use is some better home dock stations.



    I was under the impression that the iMacs used Laptop class processors and graphics chips... though the 27" maybe different. But yes, I fully agree on the better home dock stations. Bring back the PowerBook Duo! (Of course, look at the current iMacs, and the current LED screens by Apple... they are docks without the enclosures)



    Anyhow, as for Flash, or lack there-of on the iPad: I am no fan of flash, its slow, its buggy, and not optimized on anything. It barely supports Mac OS X, and is in desperate need of a overhaul. I like the HTML 5 route better, open source so everyone can benefit.



    That said, it would be nice to have the OPTION of having flash on the iPhone/Pad/Pod Touch. Not saying you have to, or should use it, but the option would be nice. Apple says no. I'm sure Adobe says no too.
  • Reply 66 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post


    Hang on, did you just recommend that an average user buy a desktop in order to run Flash content?



    Aside from the inherent absurdity in that - Flash does not provide the functionality to justify its power consumption - it makes the complaint of Flash not being on the iPad, let alone the iPhone look completely ridiculous.



    Rather than complain that their Mac or iPod can't handle it- YES. Don't blame Flash that your Mac drains the CPU because it poses no problem on any PC. If you not going to fix the OS - then stop complaining about Flash. I've never heard anyone with a PC or a MAC desktop ever complain about FLash- ever.
  • Reply 67 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Just because Flash runs bad on the iPhone doesn't make it an Adobe problem.



    Why ignore all the evidence I've laid out? I've given very specific examples. Why would Mozilla diable Flash in Firefox Mobile on Maemo if it's all Apple's Fault. This isn't even just a problem with streaming video, which won't work at all and they are saying this in 2010, not 2007 when people blamed Apple for not makign Flash viable for the iPhone. 3 years later and Adobe still doesn't have a viable version of Flash for mobiles that can stream video from these popular streaming sites. Now how is all that Apple's fault???
  • Reply 68 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    I was under the impression that the iMacs used Laptop class processors and graphics chips... .



    No, that is not true. They use custom desktop chips and processors, not mobile ones.
  • Reply 69 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    ANd you own a dinosaur that can't handle Flash- and?



    What are you talking about??
  • Reply 70 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    What are you talking about??



    We know he's crazy, but to keep asking questions we expect a sane answer to despite knowing better would mean we are crazy, too.
  • Reply 71 of 189
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    This could be really good. If Hulu goes to h.264 it would be a huge blow to flash. I wonder if Adobe will ramp up development and deliver a really awesome version of flash that would not be a resource hog, or if Adobe will just let it die off and let html5 take over.
  • Reply 72 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Adobe will ramp up development and deliver a really awesome version of flash that would not be a resource hog, or if Adobe will just let it die off and let html5 take over.



    Adobe hasn't been known to "ramp up development" for really anything over the last few years, unfortunately.



    Just look at the state of their current Creative Suite.
  • Reply 73 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    We know he's crazy, but to keep asking questions we expect a sane answer to despite knowing better would mean we are crazy, too.



    Given the content of both of your postings either of your either right and you need to read more than Apple only sites or you've hit he bottle again and are getting cocky.



    Either situation isn't a good outcome for the conversation so I'd wait until tomorrow to reply.



    Any device that doesn't support Flash will be dead by 2011. HTML5 is not mature enough to replace it on the web and there is too much content currently in Flash that is on the web that will not make the conversion for many reasons I can post when you are coherant.



    You know as well as I do the only reason Apple doesn't support Flash is that is doesn't fit their current consumer base. That is changing.



    The fact that OSX iPhone versions to date including latest for ir Phone or iPad don't support multi-tasking for all apps is another Apple loss.



    According to CNet the last update to the iPhone OS drains battery life, loses 3G connections and still screws up play lists and is getting hotter than it should (reason I don't upgrade to latest for a good month).



    Blame it on Adobe all you want but if after this many versions Apple still can't put out a stable OS my bet is it's Apple's fault.



    iPhone OS 3.1.3 battery and sync problems reported



    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...CmoreStories.0
  • Reply 74 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    This could be really good. If Hulu goes to h.264 it would be a huge blow to flash. I wonder if Adobe will ramp up development and deliver a really awesome version of flash that would not be a resource hog, or if Adobe will just let it die off and let html5 take over.



    Or you could switch to a platform that doesn't have any problems with Flash.



    They are called Windows PC's. I love Hulu and every other network that gives me free flash streaming video without any problems on my PC.
  • Reply 75 of 189
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Hopefully this represents another nail in the coffin of Flash. It can't die off soon enough imo.
  • Reply 76 of 189
    It Hulu moves to a non-Flash that would be good news... Ok if this is true, that makes three ( four ) if you add Disney now working on a non-flash based video content sites... Now if we can just get the other millions of sites to follow the lead we will be in business....



    I also wanted to correct a few post a above. Hulu works great with Flash 10.1. I have been using the beta for some time now on my Macbook Pro and my MacMini.
  • Reply 77 of 189
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Given the content of both of your postings either of your either right and you need to read more than Apple only sites or you've hit he bottle again and are getting cocky.



    Either situation isn't a good outcome for the conversation so I'd wait until tomorrow to reply.



    Any device that doesn't support Flash will be dead by 2011. HTML5 is not mature enough to replace it on the web and there is too much content currently in Flash that is on the web that will not make the conversion for many reasons I can post when you are coherant.



    You know as well as I do the only reason Apple doesn't support Flash is that is doesn't fit their current consumer base. That is changing.



    The fact that OSX iPhone versions to date including latest for ir Phone or iPad don't support multi-tasking for all apps is another Apple loss.



    According to CNet the last update to the iPhone OS drains battery life, loses 3G connections and still screws up play lists and is getting hotter than it should (reason I don't upgrade to latest for a good month).



    Blame it on Adobe all you want but if after this many versions Apple still can't put out a stable OS my bet is it's Apple's fault.



    iPhone OS 3.1.3 battery and sync problems reported



    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...CmoreStories.0



    Gotta save this post. You're claiming that all iPhones, iPads, and, at the very least, Blackberries, will not be on the market, hence dead, in under 11 months.



    Despite repeating all the facts for you again you've also failed to read my comments about ONLY Flash video will wane in favour of HTML5 streaming video on mobiles in 2010, not that HTML5 will replace all Flash everywhere which it clearly can't do. You've also failed to make notice of the very real and well documented issue with Flash on mobiles from ARM to Atom, or explained why it's Apple's fault no mobile OS can stream video from Flash in 2010.



    i'm out of the office now so you have fun in your myopic little bubble.
  • Reply 78 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Does anyone really think Apple wants Hulu on the iPhone let alone the Internet.



    Apple doesn't give a crap. If you look at any quotes from Apple, the iTunes Store basically breaks even. They created the iTunes Store in order to sell iPods.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Apple doesn't want anything cutting into their iTunes $tore-period. That's the whole raison d'être of the iPod, Apple TV, iPhone , and now the iPad. They're the gifts that keep on giving- back to Apple, that is. You buy any of those products and you're basically buying a debit card to their iTunes store.



    You're misinformed if you think they created the iPod, iPhone, and iPad to sell songs on iTunes. Apple TV might be an exception, but it's hardly a major market for them.



    Apple is a hardware company. They make all of their money from it. They've created an ecosystem in order to support that hardware. They didn't spend all of their time creating a syncing infrastructure and jukebox player because they're incredibly into those things, they did it because they provide value to the products they sell. If Hulu creates an iPad app or simply starts using HTML 5 video, as YouTube already, then that becomes a major selling point for the iPad. Apple cares as much about Hulu on the iPad as they do about Pandora on the iPhone.
  • Reply 79 of 189
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There is one nice interface using the HTML5 video tags using nice JS/CSS overlays.
    This is one of those things that will get better with age.



    That is nice in CAPITALS. Love the zoom in/out transitions.
  • Reply 80 of 189
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Apple will never support Free Streaming,



    Bollox! Macs and desktop Safari can handle most of the free content that the web has to offer.



    The UK's most popular video streaming site, BBC iPlayer, works wonderfully on Mobile Safari.



    Your argument, that blocking Flash is Apple trying to protect iTunes revenue, is just more of the same tired, old anti-appletard hogwash.



    If Hulu and Farmville are so bloody important to people then Apple is going to lose a whole lot of sales of their "non Flash playing products". That's a lot more lost revenue than missing out on renting a few videos.
Sign In or Register to comment.