Sources offer peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And yet I use Ps all the time, non-destructively. Clearly, I should be drawn and quartered or at least tried as a heretic for using a feature in such an unapproved fashion.

There are corrections I can only do in Ps (by essentially pulling apart pieces of an image) that a photography-based program such as Lr should easily be able to deliver on.

I'm missing your point here; the top features of Ps CS4 from your link include:

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?
  • Reply 62 of 128
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Frankly, I couldn't care less CS 5.

Adobe in my mind has long ago gone the way of Microsoft, and that is not a complement.

Flash has all kinds of problems. CS is overpriced and bloated.

This, and my attitude toward the company, aren't new either. I've been seeking alternatives to Adobe products for the last few years.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rydewnd2 View Post

Ah Shiite here come the quark people

Hey lQQK i am a Software Analyst/Trainer here in NYC and i remember when I worked at Y&R advertising in NY back in 1999/2000/2001 when Adumbe decided that they would leave the Mac crowd behind on the Photoshop releases because Windoze users were more important (financially speaking probably) so they would always release a PC Windoze version with all the bells and whistles and make US Apple Mac users wait until the next version release to get what the PC crowd was getting first, never mind that the entire creative dept at the Ad agency i worked at and probably ALL the Ad agencies creative dept's use MAC's for creating ads and magazines but Adumbe just left the Macs out in the cold and now they are paying for it APPLE is single handily KILLING FLASH by not using it on the iphone or on the ipad and now HTML5 with be non-FLASH dependent... serves them RIGHT!!!! can't wait unitl APPle makes a PHOTOSHOP KILLER!!!!
  • Reply 64 of 128
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

You're using a page layout application to design a website? Ha!

Try Fireworks.

It's a layout application, I use that or Illustrator, as do most professional designers. Fireworks does not provide me with any of the tools I want for creating customisable grids or using styles.
  • Reply 65 of 128
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign are industry standards. Furthermore, these apps have made careers for countless developers.....utter crap?.....uh....how about you go back to your KidPix image editor and we'll ask for your opinion next time we need to fill a circle with the paint bucket.

Exactly! There is no alternative, and more importantly I love the workflow I have with Illustrator and InDesign. I use Dreamweaver too, but only on the code side, however, the ability to see referenced files in CS4 is fantastic. Worth the upgrade alone. A 64-bit Cocoa version will be great.
  • Reply 66 of 128
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    If CS5 is what I expect - proprietary and buggy -- I'm sticking with CS3. Screw you, Adobe, especially if you're out to screw me!
  • Reply 67 of 128
    I don't really use the Creative Suite a whole lot for my own needs, but I deploy and manage a few hundred systems. The issues I have always had is just dealing with that and trying to automate it. Our management software company, bless their heart, has done everything they can to make it as simple as possible to deploy. Even with that there are still issues that just SUCK!

- How about allowing the installation of the suites without requiring a user to be logged on for those installations to work.

- How about allowing the installation of the some of the suites updates without requiring a user to be logged on to make them work.

- How about making the Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Readers updaters conform to your standard updater packages so my management system can handle them native like the rest of the suite updaters. Your Acrobat team needs to get their head out of their ass and you all need to be on the same boat!

- How about having Acrobat Reader install in a single location instead of FOUR depending on if the suite is or isn't installed and if the system is PPC or Intel. Not that the PPC part will probably matter so much this time around.

- How about doing away with me having to put updaters in my system at all and give me a command line updater, like Apple's softwareupdate command, so I can just schedule it to run on a regular basis without user intervention or the need to have an interface up or a user logged in. I actually wouldn't mind running my own centralized Adobe Software Update Server to minimize bandwidth usage and control the updates people get...WEIRD...like my Apple Software Update Servers!

- How about NOT requiring the launch of Photoshop FIRST to license the rest of the damn suite. Shouldn't that just HAPPEN as part of the damn install?!

I could probably go on and on, but those are the big ones. I've burned up days and weeks of my life making these work, not only in CS4, but with CS3 as well...which was even worse.

I hope it does everything it needs to for you folks that actually use it, too. Good luck! =)
  • Reply 68 of 128
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign are industry standards. Furthermore, these apps have made careers for countless developers.....utter crap?.....uh....how about you go back to your KidPix image editor and we'll ask for your opinion next time we need to fill a circle with the paint bucket.

they ARE utter crap. they have made the lives of countless designers a daily hell. do you use these apps everyday? sound like you do not. i want adobe illustrator 6 ported to osx. i want photoshop 3 ported to osx. for the last TEN YEARS adobe has more or less just layered on crap and bloat that has perpetually made their apps less stable and a pain in the ass to use.

sadly, the independent developers are not seeing the opportunity. pixelmator is getting closer with each release, but it is still not quite meeting the minimum that photoshop 3 set as a usable professional toolset. what we need is a good, stable, easy to use (not simple-minded or dumb, but just slick with a conscious workflow) app for about $150-200. if i had the money to invest, i would seriously do it myself.

adobe is the microsoft of creative apps.
  • Reply 69 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Wait.. what?? I thought Adobe was working something using HTML 5's canvas in CS5.: Video: Flash CS5 running on HTML 5's Canvas

Did they just scrap that project out?

UPDATED: Adobe rep Larry Masinter:

Quote:

Adobe rep Larry Masinter:

No part of HTML5 is, or was ever, "blocked" in the W3C HTML Working Group -- not HTML5, not Canvas 2D Graphics, not Microdata, not Video -- not by me, not by Adobe.

Neither Adobe nor I oppose, are fighting, are trying to stop, slow down, hinder, oppose, or harm HTML5, Canvas 2D Graphics, Microdata, video in HTML, or any of the other significant features in HTML5.

Claims otherwise are false. Any other disclaimers needed?

There are some things that are wrong with the spec I'd like to see fixed. There are some things that are really, really, wrong with the process that I'd like to improve.

I've been working on web standards since the beginning of the web in the early 90s, and standards for even longer; long before I joined Adobe. My opinions don't come from Adobe, and I don't get approval or direction. I hate to see decades of work on web architecture messed up in the short-term interest of grabbing control of the web platform for a few vendors to own. If you think that position doesn't match what you imagine Adobe's position is, well, I'm glad Adobe's planning to support HTML5 in its products.

As for the HTML standards process: I've worked in scores of standards groups in IETF and W3C, as well as a few others here and there, and I've never seen anything as bad as this one, with people abusing their official positions to grandstand and promote proprietary advantage. I've blogged some about this, but I'd rather fix things along.

I think progress of HTML5 in W3C could be faster if the subsections on graphics and metadata could (if not now, then eventually) be moved to separate subgroups focused on those topics. The organization of work in W3C is determined by the "charters" of working group and the "scope" of he charters, so saying work is "out of scope" even if you are marking a snapshot of the (already published) documents as "Working Draft", means you might rewrite the "Status of This Document" section to say that it might move. That's what I was asking for, in the somewhat stilted language of "objection".

Source:http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/02...ing_html5.html

I guess they got it all wrong.\
  • Reply 70 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

- How about NOT requiring the launch of Photoshop FIRST to license the rest of the damn suite. Shouldn't that just HAPPEN as part of the damn install?!

that's what would happen in a windows installation, and i'm not surprised the same happens in osx
  • Reply 71 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This concerns me also.

I think they must be just batshit insane over at Adobe. There is no other explanation.

Awesome!

Ed
  • Reply 72 of 128
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The fifth major release of Adobe's Creative Suite package (CS5) for graphic, video and web design professionals will finally see Photoshop for Mac emerge as a 64-bit application while several of suite's other component applications adopt Flash tie-ins aimed at keeping content developers reliant on the company's embattled multimedia platform.

Embattled is just one step away from beleaguered.
  • Reply 73 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As such, the bulk of the Adobe's efforts on Photoshop CS5, which goes by the code-name "White Rabbit," will reportedly come in the flavor of under-the-hood improvements, according to people who are familiar with the latest private betas of CS5 for Mac.

Ah yes, the White Rabbit, from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The one best known for muttering "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!"

Fitting.
  • Reply 74 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Appleinsider, please write articles that are less USA/northern hemisphere centric. 'Spring' for the southern hemisphere is in September, please use months instead for timeframes. Also less on the americanisms, such as 'under the hood' and 'in the fall'. Others in non USA countries, really don't know what you are talking about, what is 'hood' for instance the curtain that covers the clitoris? This is not in this article but 'sometime in the Fall' , what is that, snow fall?

This is a concern "The casual Photoshop user won't recognize too much of a difference in the software over the existing version, these people say."

You mean to say after all this word porting to 'Cocoa' there is no User Interface improvement? Is the GUI ported to Cocoa or not? Is it going to look like a crappy piece of legacy Carbon? How can they possibly and supposedly 're-write' the GUI in Cocoa for it to be unchanged to the end user? I can tell the difference between FireFox and Camino.

How? By using Qt 4.6.x.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danbirchall View Post

Ah yes, the White Rabbit, from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The one best known for muttering "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!"

Fitting.

Indeed
  • Reply 76 of 128
    Is everything in CS5 both written in Cocoa and 64 bit? The only thing that explicitly says this is photoshop. If it is JUST photoshop that has been rewritten, I will be very disappointed. Why no news of illustrator?
  • Reply 77 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomUnderhill View Post

Am I a part of dieing breed of PRINT designers? .

Yes, I'm afraid so. Me too. Print is dying super fast, I am afraid. I was wondering if Adobe would try to help out designers. I've been trying to learn hand coding of web sites. I t is so slow. (Actually, what I would like is a pro version of iWeb from Apple.
  • Reply 78 of 128
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You mean Adobe are finally using the Mac frameworks to write their Mac applications? That is some wild and crazy stuff
  • Reply 79 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomUnderhill View Post

Multipurposing these once-great print apps to export to the new-fangled online world seems like more opportunities for bloat, bragging rights, feature-creep, insanely complex code and crashes. I don't want a suite of Swiss-army knives! I need a suite of the best single-purpose knives I can own. I really like the Harry Potter-esqe world of having video in newspapers, magazines, billboards and books, but I don't think the technology is here to really allow us to print a newspaper or book like those that exist in the fantasy world.

I need a page design tool (InDesign) that is robust enough to handle a 500-page (or larger!) print job and not crash while exporting to PDF because it exceeds a 32-bit boundary.

I need an Illustrator that lets me develop illustrations that don't crash a RIP. Or mis-render in Photoshop because they crash a RIP.

And while I'm moaning and groaning, why can InDesign create beautiful typography while Illustrator makes text look worse than the trash created by Microsoft's word processor?

Am I a part of dieing breed of PRINT designers? Why do we need to "leverage" programs like InDesign into the virtual world just to "make things familiar"? I fully appreciate that Illustrator and Photoshop work exceedingly well in creating web graphics. But InDesign?

I'm not ready to accept extinction yet. Perhaps I just won't move beyond CS4 and all its inherent faults to use the few tools that really do work better than anything out there.

I guess I'm not the only one who's frustrated and has an increasingly hate-hate relationship with Adobe.

Tom... you are NOT the only one with a "hate-hate" on Adobe... I assure you.

PS is fine by me and the speed increase with 64-bit will be nice (finally).

It didn't say much about Illustrator here, but that program is the absolute "sh*t"!

I've been in the design biz with FH and PS for more than 20 years now.... and since FH was bought and allowed to die, I as well as most of my clients have been "trying" to like, and move everything over to Illustrator for our packaging design work.

I said "trying", because after more than a year, we all have the same frustrations that we are not as productive.... because Illustrator gets in our way too much.

For example just trying to choose elements like a line: in preview mode, you MUST select the center of the line, even if it's 50 pts. wide, or else you'll select what's behind it! Unbelievable! If you don't use multiple layers, and have that palette open all of the time... you are doomed to frustration.

Just one example (there are many on YouTube)... ut why Illustrator needs a TOTAL reworking. I have my fingers crossed.... but am also ready to be disappointed. Sad.
  • Reply 80 of 128
    I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.