Despite Apple's absence, iPhone is talk of Mobile World Congress

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Point taken. But I think this will become moot as land lines disappear and cell/mobile phones become the norm. Then, it will just be "phone" again, like the good old days.

Hmmm, I suppose that's possible. After all, I still talk about "albums" while at one time it specifically referred to vinyl.

I'd still prefer to use the term "pocket computer" or "mobile" for the hardware and "phone" specifically for voice communication. "Mobile" works so well because it is an adjective for which the target has been dropped in typical usage, thus making it a noun. Also, it is easy for the adjective's target to evolve over time without needing to be explicitly spelled out.

Consider the following list:

Tower computer

Desktop computer

Laptop Computer

Tablet Computer

Wearable Computer

Phone Computer? (How about pocket computer or mobile computer instead)
  • Reply 42 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Terminology side-bar: "pocket computer" vs "smart phone"

Damn I wish americans used the term "mobile" rather than "cell phone". The rest of the world can continue talking about "mobiles" and just have the word assume more functionality in-line with the functionality of the mobiles. Meanwhile, here in america people are going to be stuck saying "smart phone".

So mobiles aren't those balancing things on a string that you hang from a ceiling?

It's all a dialect thing. Pocket computer doesn't tell me it's for voice communication.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So mobiles aren't those balancing things on a string that you hang from a ceiling?

Nah, those are Moh-Beels.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    So why doesn't Apple go to these things?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

So why doesn't Apple go to these things?

Apple's known to keep to themselves in well-controlled press conferences.

They don't like mingling with others too much.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I see my optimistic approach to all things has been lost. This is an Apple-biased site, so I wouldn't expect anything less. But there's a new thread specifically for the WP7 announcement. I'm moving my conversations there now.

Don't let the door knob hit you where the Good Lord split ya'!
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

[CENTER]Hoping to take on Apple's wildly successful App Store, the GSM Association announced Monday that 24 telecom operators have formed an alliance to build an open platform for applications. Support for the venture has come from LG Electronics, Samsung and Sony Ericsson, according to Reuters.

Other partners listed include AT&T, China Mobile, Orange, Telefonica and Vodafone. Combined the wireless providers listed are responsible for more than three billion customers worldwide.

The alliance reportedly seeks "to unite members' developer communities and create a single, harmonized point of entry to make it easy for developers to join."[/CENTER]

I agree with most of the comments here that this will be basically a JOKE! I imagine Apple is having quite a nice laugh at all these companies who see that their role in the future of smart phones going the way of the dinosaur!

Mobile phones are becoming combination PC/PDA's and most of these companies who only sell cell phones will be as relevant as typewriter companies were before the PC revolution. The one big reason the app store is so successful is that the hardware and software works the same on all the iPhones and most of the iPod Touches.

24 Cooks are going to make something that tastes better than the app store? These groups will NEVER agree on a common screen size or a common set of features. So anybody who thinks this is anything more than a p*ss in the ocean, I have some typewriter stock to sell you!
  • Reply 48 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is AMOLED really a clear cut winner over LCD? Blacks looks better, colours more vibrant, but even with a much higher ppi the images looks more washed out.

If you put an LCD screeen next to a Samsung phone with an OLED screen, the one that looks washed out is the LCD.

AMOLED is the clear cut winner, yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Really? My screen is quite clear, bright, and readable. Just how much better is OLED in this small screen application anyway? Will it change my whole smartphone experience? Or is it just one of those new bright shiny things that is a little better, but everyone's got to have it to be cool.

I take photos and videos using my phone and display them on it frequently, so OLED does make a big difference to me. Of course, to each their own, so you might not find the difference as compelling as I do. I could not go back to a phone with an LCD screen.

• Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If you put an LCD screeen next to a Samsung phone with an OLED screen, the one that looks washed out is the LCD.

AMOLED is the clear cut winner, yes.

I take photos and videos using my phone and display them on it frequently, so OLED does make a big difference to me. Of course, to each their own, so you might not find the difference as compelling as I do. I could not go back to a phone with an LCD screen.

Hmm. Good to know. Will have to try a side by side some time with iPhone next to a Zune or something displaying the same pic. My point was kinda that with such a tiny screen that image quality differences are less important than with larger screens. But then I guess you could argue the opposite point for the same reason.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hmmm, I suppose that's possible. After all, I still talk about "albums" while at one time it specifically referred to vinyl.

I'd still prefer to use the term "pocket computer" or "mobile" for the hardware and "phone" specifically for voice communication. "Mobile" works so well because it is an adjective for which the target has been dropped in typical usage, thus making it a noun. Also, it is easy for the adjective's target to evolve over time without needing to be explicitly spelled out.

Consider the following list:

Tower computer

Desktop computer

Laptop Computer

Tablet Computer

Wearable Computer

Phone Computer? (How about pocket computer or mobile computer instead)

I like the way you think. We seem to be moving toward a "fourth screen." We all use and are familiar with the big screen (TV), medium screen (Computer), and small screen (smartphone). But the new kid on the block, the iPad, represents the fourth size: something more useful than the small screen for visual tasks, but more portable than even a laptop. To me, that will (assuming it is successful which I am betting it will) be the "real" pocket computer, not the phone. The smartphone can do many things, but it doesn't really replace a desktop, or even a laptop for labor intensive inputting.