iPhone won't sync movies?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    3GS, latest software

iTunes running on Windows XP, SP3, most patches applied

iTunes recognizes and plays the movie but won't download it to the iPhone

There are many gigs of space available on the phone

i tried the suggestion of getting iTunes to forget sync history but this didn't help

am not doing manual syncing

Suggestions appreciated
  • Reply 22 of 48
    I've recently bought a 3GS and could not sync all my movies. I followed the thread above, and the "Reset Sync History" did not work for me.

However, JJS's suggestion of looking at the movies as a list helped me solve my problem. Some of the movies did not have a tick in the check box. Not sure what this checkbox selects, but checking this AND the selecting the movies I wanted to sync in the Movies section of the Devices menu has sorted my issue. I can now select a subset of my iTunes installed movies for syncing.

BTW have so far ignored the option to cover to iPhone version, and the movies play fine.

Thanks.

Ian.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    The Reason your films wont play is because they are the wrong aspect ratio you need to convert them to 480X320 theywill then play which is a complete pain in the a!!e because you will end up with two copiesof the movie in iTunes. I am really notsure what Apple were thinking of when they had this idea.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    On my Itunes all it would let me select was either tv shows or purchased. So even though I had put my movies in both for some reason they would not show up. Finally I just created a new playlist and tagged it movies and checked the box to select it to sync and it finally transferred over. Hope this helps someone.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    After moving movie and hitting "apply", iTunes pops up a window that says the movie "can't be transferred because it has already been transferred to another computer or device". I downloaded the movie on my computer 5 days ago but have not transferred it to my iTough or anywhere until now. Any suggestion why I am getting this and any advice on how to get around it?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cleanburn View Post

Copying Video Files to the iPhone:

By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life

The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide

Thanks clicking the "Manually Manage Music and Videos" box finally worked for me after trying everything else for an hour or two.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b0utch View Post

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?

Just do what all PC users do when they encounter a problem, just buy a new one.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I just struggled with the same problem here. Video seen by iTunes but will not sync to the iPhone. I finally became aware that iTunes was seeing the video in the photos and not as a movie. So simply clicking on Movies, then using the "Add to Library..." function I browsed to and selected the video, imported it and voila! We now have the video synced to the iPhone.

I didn't see this very simple solution on any of the other answers, and yet the problems described are almost exactly what we were experiencing. I'm sure someone must be having the same problem we are. I hope this is a help.

I must say I felt a little goofy when I saw it was that simple.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    I was having the same problem! Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Just do what all future Mac fan boys do when they encounter a problem with a PC, buy a Mac.

Fixed.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    just one word to say that have been wondering all around many web sites to try to find technical details on why my movies cant go to my iphone and you might be the best guys, forgive my emglish this is not my mother tong but could read and understand you, now am working on my iphone with your tips and hope it will work but once again MERCI !
  • Reply 32 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    sames problem but with newest itunes 10 go to advanced , in list view click on movie go to advanced and they offer "convert" to ipod
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

sames problem but with newest itunes 10 go to advanced , in list view click on movie go to advanced and they offer "convert" to ipod

nvm. I figured it out.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    OK, I've created a movie, and I'm trying to get it to play on my iPhone 3GS.

I've used the latest version of Compressor and its iPhone preset, iSkysoft Media Converter and its iPhone preset, QuickTime and its iPhone preset, and the latest version of iTunes (10.1.1) and its convert to iPhone preset to make a .m4V movie. All have been successful in creating a great looking, small file size .m4V movie.

I've dragged the file and "Add to Library" in iTunes where it's played perfectly. I've added each different file to the iPhone within iTunes, and just dragged from the Finder (I'm on a Mac using 10.6.6) to the iPhone in iTunes. The files all show up in the Movies tab under my iPhone in iTunes. They even play properly. However, when I look for it on my iPhone itself, there is nothing there.

I've tried clearing iSync's sync history and DiscAid to try and get my iPhone to recognize the file but nothing works. My "Photos" app on my iPhone only says "No Photos or Videos."

I'm about ready to stomp on my iPhone and throw my computer through the window. It's got to be user error, so what the heck am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstoncely View Post

My "Photos" app on my iPhone only says "No Photos or Videos."

?

what the heck am I doing wrong?

The videos will be shown by the iPod app, not the Photos app.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Besides movies I cany get it to Sync Photos that I took with my camera. Some do and some don't. anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    My movies were in the Iphone memory in Itunes, and even though they were checked, they didn't sync until I found this very simple fix.

FIRST, go to the MOVIES tab in Itunes (top left) and check the movies THERE.

THEN, check them AGAIN in the Iphone that appears in Itunes, and sync.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CALLIGRAPHICA View Post

My movies were in the Iphone memory in Itunes, and even though they were checked, they didn't sync until I found this very simple fix.

This WORKS !!!

Thanks

(why does it have to be so difficult sometimes???)
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CALLIGRAPHICA View Post

If anyone still got a problem, you may be using an iPhone 3GS, and your Movies may be published from iMovies 9. If so, my solution may apply to you as well because I am using iPhone 3GS and iMovies 9 on Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard. Here's the point:

Form iMovies menu, choose Share > iTunes, then you will be given options for the Sizes to publish, based on where you will view your movies. Though I am using iPhone, it does not work if I do not choose iPod! (Because iPhone 3GS has the iPod app!) The maximum size converted to publish will be 640x480.

Now, it works for my iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimeRider View Post

I am using iPhone 3GS and iMovies 9 ... it does not work if I do not choose iPod! (Because iPhone 3GS has the iPod app!)

Thanks TimeRider, that solved the problem for me too. BTW, the double negative threw me for a bit there, just skimming the post (as you do); this might be easier to follow:

If you have a iPhone 3GS, use the medium option when you share the movie with iTunes from iMovie.