Apple's MobileMe technology chief departs to lead Thumbplay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I'm glad, never knew why they didn't offer a free version with 2GB of space... I think it would get more folks to upgrade, but still the 3 months free is probably better...
  • Reply 22 of 58
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Always the negative view of Apple with you isn't it?

This guy was in charge during a highly publicised f*ck-up that required apple to bring in an executive higher than him to "fix," Steve Jobs to apologise in person, and for them give money to the end users for their suffering. And yet the first thing you think of is that this guy is "great" and Apple management is at fault? WTF?

Occam's razor alone suggests that if he's been on the job ten years, and MobileMe has been "meh" for ten years, that he's the guy to blame. I've used it since the first day .Mac was opened and it's been definitely "meh" IMO.

Occam's Razor alone suggests nothing. There are too many factors. .Mac was crap only because it was slow. MobileMe is actually much much better, but still too slow.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member
    Yah, I guess Jobs didn't want MobleMe to continue to be just a hobby.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    I worked on Sync technologies for years (enterprise stuff, shuttling slices of databases to mobile laptop clients, then on PDA versions that used ultra-light mobile dbs like sybase anywhere or ibm db everywhere).

Sync is hard, and worse yet, most people don't understand just how hard this stuff is. So I feel for this guy who was put in a difficult place w/r/t mobileMe (Apple is not a heavily data-centric company like Google).

On the other hand, MobileMe had some major issues in scaling, availability and security... and this is a paid service! I have a family account that I just don't use (we use google calendar synced with iCal as it works better).

I doubt things get much better for MobileMe, unless the culture at Apple changes to acknowledge the difficulty of this problem.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I'm glad, never knew why they didn't offer a free version with 2GB of space... I think it would get more folks to upgrade, but still the 3 months free is probably better...

They gave everyone a free month to test it out. Which is part of the problem with the switch from .Mac to MM. 1) they didn't do a controlled switch with current .Mac users; 2) they released it at th same time they released iPhone OS v2.0 and the iPhone 3G; and 3) they didn't require a CC card for signup which meant a lot of unregualted usage bringing the servers and network to a halt.

The major issues were resolved by the end of the weekend yet it still has this bad rep with people claiming it never works despite MM being consderablyi better than .Mac and iTools in every way possible. I think Apple learned their lesson about doing multiple rollouts at once. I think that' when thy learned that acting like a boutique computer company isn't going to work anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Yah, I guess Jobs didn't want MobleMe to continue to be just a hobby.

I don't recall MM ever being considered a hobby.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

.IMO their biggest flaw in general is how "cold" and unsocial the company is in general. They don't blog, or tweet, (or much of anything), and the management is totally old-school in that regard.

i am wondering why they would start blogging and tweeting? what would be so interesting for you to read in their blogs and tweets? i certainly don't need the manufacturer of my hardware and some of my software to be more 'social', i want them to concentrate on their products and service.

and i am happy that so far they have not been seduced by the new religion that seems to force every famous person, every politician and every butcher shop to start tweeting about it's activities.

best

-D
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't recall MM ever being considered a hobby.

The joke is that Apple's unsuccessful products (i.e. Apple TV) are called "hobbies" to try and convince people they were supposed to fall short. "Naw man, that's just a hobby. One of these days we'll get our A-team on it and they'll knock it out of the park. We just, uh...don't feel like it today."
  • Reply 28 of 58
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

i am wondering why they would start blogging and tweeting? what would be so interesting for you to read in their blogs and tweets? i certainly don't need the manufacturer of my hardware and some of my software to be more 'social', i want them to concentrate on their products and service.

and i am happy that so far they have not been seduced by the new religion that seems to force every famous person, every politician and every butcher shop to start tweeting about it's activities.

best

-D

I agree... In addition to http://www.apple.com/hotnews/ they have http://www.facebook.com/iTunes I guess they could replicate it on Twitter too... But, Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple Team are probably way too swamped to Twitt about what they had for lunch etc... Since the world is constantly watching Apple for any and all news, Apple hardly needs Twitter or even Facebook to get attention!

As to Mobile Me.... I'd like them to really develop it, so that there would be no need for Picassa, Flicker and other free products... Or at least offer a few others that nobody else can match!!!

Ideally, I'd like a lot more storage there, so that one can use it for backup that is super reliable and fast!

If a Macbook HD comes with 500GB HD, I'd like to be able to Time Machine it to Mobile me, but that would kill Time Machine HDs they sell... Privacy is another concern!

Mobile Me Galleries shareable on Facebook as Slideshows - that would be nice!

Most important -- MM should work like a ROCK with iPhone!
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Mobile me is probably the lamest of the Apple products. Don't get me wrong, the Mobile Me idea is great, but there are important things wrong and missing.

1. Loading/displaying an e-mail can be measures in portions of a minute rather than fractions of a second. This makes the e-mail client almost unusable, yet I have to use it 2 days a week at my work satellite, ugh. In comparison, MS Outlook Web Access wins all extremities down! (and I do not care for MS products in general...)

2. We have a family pack and is SUCKS.

2.a. Sharing calendars across accounts -not possible.

2.b. My wife's photo sharing has exhausted her 5 GB of storage, and I cannot increase the family members storage only the primary account holder, huh? I am willing to pay, want my $?

So few things badly wrong, but really badly wrong, and they have been badly wrong for the duration...

So, good riddance to the guy, hope Apple will hire someone more visionary for their one no-vision product...
  • Reply 30 of 58
    yodamacyodamac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

But to echo Gruber.

What is the point of the web apps?

If we are sitting at a Mac - then we have real apps. Real iCal , real Mail and real Contacts.

And if we are not sitting at a Mac - then we have our iPhones.

C.

Uh, The idea of the web apps is if you are away from your home computer and using someone elses (hotels, friends, etc.) you can still access all your email, contacts, etc.

Sure, you can do that on your iPhone NOW, but not when MobileMe first launched (as dotMac) and many folks still prefer surfing and typing long emails at a desktop instead of their iPhone.

So... that is the "point of the web apps".
  • Reply 31 of 58
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I don't know if this is such a bad thing. Mobile me was an absolute disaster when launched and has had a lot of trouble living that down.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

best

-D

Well here I was making a very inelegant and kind of poorly worded reference to two things.

Unlike most companies, Apple actively discourages workers from engaging in tweeting etc., and even likes them to keep their employment at Apple a secret. Secondly, unlike most computer users today, the guys at the top of Apple don't use social media either. I don't have any carefully constructed argument here, just the observation (and one that many others before me have made), that Apple doesn't really "get" social stuff.

Does Steve Jobs strike you as a very social outgoing guy?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Whether it's a bunch of people following their bosses(?) to Palm, or this case, I don't like seeing people leave Apple... The initial thought is:

Did they ask Apple for a raise and didn't get it, and so they left for elsewhere, where they already had a job waiting for them?

Did they give Apple a chance to match the other offer, plus a promotion maybe? Yes, I suspect that it could be a dangerous precedent to set for Apple to engage in such "$$ wars"...

In case of Rubenstein and Palm, he gave me a funny feeling every time I saw him speak. But, when he was at Apple, I get he did something right, otherwise he wouldn't have been there... Hey, at least in tech there is no badmouthing afterwards, unlike in politics..., or at least not yet!

There could be other Qs that one can think of regarding such Apple departures, but these are mine for now... And, in reality, none of us will ever know the "real story" in cases like that... Why do the dirty laundry in public, if it's not War Of The Roses, highly charged Celebrities Divorce, with all the PR Blood...

The funny part would be if Apple ends up buying this company later... I wonder if Palm people, and other former Apple people, will ever be going back to Apple..., and if Apple would take some of them back...?!

BTW, semi-off topic(?) - I stopped by at my Verizon store, and they were pushing Motorolla Droid, while Palm phones were not even connected to the Internet!!! Funny... Rubenstein can write his letters to the "team", and this Mobile me guy can be free to create at his new company, but in LIFE, at Verizon store (in this case) it's APATHY, at best, as far as employees, while, a few doors away, iPhones sell themselves at ATT store... Sprint and T-Mobile stores look even sadder... And, of course, nothing beats Apple Stores...

Apple knows who the real gems are, and they absolutely pay up to retain them.

The bottom line is that if Apple lets someone get away, then they didn't deem him (or her) worth keeping. And I think their judgment is probably correct.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Mr. MobileMe Disaster Man.

Thompson
  • Reply 34 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    MobileMe is the best service of its kind. iDisk sync is great. That alone makes it all worth it.

Google may be free, when it comes to this kind of service, I'd trust a for-pay model over anything else.

MobileMe is doubly good with an iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

MobileMe is the best service of its kind. iDisk sync is great. That alone makes it all worth it.

Google may be free, when it comes to this kind of service, I'd trust a for-pay model over anything else.

Google and abd others can't replicate MM with ease. Sure, I can set up a VPN or work out a Mail Rule that opens a Script that opens iChat and initiates screen sharing, but that is a mess. Back To Mac is absolute saviour here. Same goes for Find My iPhone. Sure, AT&T will tell me the cellular location for $2/month but isn't exactly convenient and it still won't let me lock it, send a message to it, or wipe it. (I hope the Mac notebooks have GPS chips in them for GeoLocation in Safari and for Find My Mac in MM.)
  • Reply 36 of 58
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Unlike most companies, Apple actively discourages workers from engaging in tweeting etc., and even likes them to keep their employment at Apple a secret. Secondly, unlike most computer users today, the guys at the top of Apple don't use social media either. I don't have any carefully constructed argument here, just the observation (and one that many others before me have made), that Apple doesn't really "get" social stuff.

yes, i understand the observation, but i don't understand why you think it's a bad thing that apple aren't involved in 'social stuff' ... ?

i can see why kids and attention seeking celebrities are into social networks etc., but why should people who work at apple and especially the guys at the top be into any of this?

twitter is fine for celebrities and kids, most of us have no time for this stuff

Quote:

Does Steve Jobs strike you as a very social outgoing guy?

no, he does not, and that is fine by me. i do not need to know anything about his life, just want him and his company to continue making good products.

what do you feel you are missing?

what do you need to know about ive, jobs, schiller etc?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

But to echo Gruber.

What is the point of the web apps?

If we are sitting at a Mac - then we have real apps. Real iCal , real Mail and real Contacts.

And if we are not sitting at a Mac - then we have our iPhones.

The web-apps are a me-too gesture. But I don't think many Mobile Me users actually find them of benefit.

Maybe a bennie on an iPad??

Quote:

At the same time every year, I question what the point of Mobile Me is.
    • The email service is a mirror of other free services.

• iDisk just too weak to use. Dropbox beats it hands down.

• The web-apps are of little actual value.

• And if I want to share photos, I will use Flickr.

I can't vouch for DropBox, but otherwise you've nailed it succinctly.

Quote:

I pay my fee mainly because I like the [email protected] address.

But annoyingly, I am not allowed to send email *from* this address (from my iPhone) because it is not my primary mobile-me username.

I'm betting a large percentage of sales are driven to get that vanity mac.com tag on their address. "Need inadequate services with a few little nuggets?" Pricey and dicey. "Need a fanboi email address?" Well, OK, it's a rip but sign me up!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Apple's always tried to make this a profitable service before they made it a good one. Marketing 101 would've been to build a base first. What %age of Mac users have accounts? I don't know any anymore.

Quote:

No argument, just think the price is about 2/3 too high for the value delivered with so many decent free tools around. And it's an unexamined model in the evolving marketplace. E.g., I can buy all of iWork for the iPad now (almost now), no annual fee, for $30. The price of productivity tools is going down. And down.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I can't vouch for DropBox, but otherwise you've nailed it succinctly.

All those points are valid but they ignore the best parts of MM.

Quote:

I'm betting a large percentage of sales are driven to get that vanity mac.com tag on their address. "Need inadequate services with a few little nuggets?" Pricey and dicey. "Need a fanboi email address?" Well, OK, it's a rip but sign me up!

I don't think that's true. I've had a .Mac email address since 2004-ish and have never used it for my main email address. Anyone that uses a paid-for email address as their pimary account isn't thinking ahead.

I do have my Gmail forwarded to my MM account which gets pushed to my phone. For outgoing I have selected Gmail so it's invisible when I reply.

Quote:

No argument, just think the price is about 2/3 too high for the value delivered with so many decent free tools around. And it's an unexamined model in the evolving marketplace. E.g., I can buy all of iWork for the iPad now (almost now), no annual fee, for $30. The price of productivity tools is going down. And down.

The price for what you get is well worth it. Forgetting for a second the convenience you get from one account there is no group of services out there that does what MM does for the price. Nothing.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The price for what you get is well worth it. Forgetting for a second the convenience you get from one account there is no group of services out there that does what MM does for the price. Nothing.

This is true.

As for syncing reliability, I've had no problems with it for the past year, and I'm talking iDisk syncing, not calendar/contact syncing, which has been flawless for much longer.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

This is true.

As for syncing reliability, I've had no problems with it for the past year, and I'm talking iDisk syncing, not calendar/contact syncing, which has been flawless for much longer.

Google supplies all of what MobileVista does for free. Microsoft is getting there with their Windows Live.

I love you signature.

Help kill Adobe's Flash. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta and on Vimeo just click the "Switch to HTML5 player" link below any video. http://www.youtube.com/html5

Google just purchased Picnik today.

http://www.picnik.com/

It's a Flash editor for cleaning up your photo collection. They currently charge for their premium edition but will likely provide it Free in the future.

So much for Google's YouTube trying to "Kill" Flash. Why does every Apple Fan want to "kill" the competition? It's a morbid signature.