Snow Leopard trash stuck on 'Secure Empty Trash'

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

First post, been a lurker for a while.

Just upgraded to Snow Leopard and everything seems fine except for trash.

Normally the option to 'empty trash securely' is there but instead I do not have any option, I am forced to use the secure empty.

Not normally a problem except when trying to empty larger amounts of files can take a while and frequently ends up freezing.

Right click on the trash can also tries to empty securely.

I got BatCHmod to force the empty trash but would like the normal empty to work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

Hi all

First post, been a lurker for a while.

Just upgraded to Snow Leopard and everything seems fine except for trash.

Normally the option to 'empty trash securely' is there but instead I do not have any option, I am forced to use the secure empty.

Not normally a problem except when trying to empty larger amounts of files can take a while and frequently ends up freezing.

Right click on the trash can also tries to empty securely.

I got BatCHmod to force the empty trash but would like the normal empty to work.

Any advice is appreciated.

Have you checked to see if "Empty Trash securely" is checked on the Advanced tab of the Finder preferences?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Wow, do i feel like a dummy !

Thanks, i never thought to look in the Finder prefs.

Cheers !
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

Wow, do i feel like a dummy !

Thanks, i never thought to look in the Finder prefs.

Cheers !

just found this...this crap has been killing me!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Hahaha if you feel like a dummy I feel retarded. Ive had the same problem for over 3 months. I figured there was something wrong with my hack build hahahaha THANKS so much

I just registered to this for this single reason. lol
  • Reply 5 of 5
    trunkletrunkle Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dedPnda View Post

Hahaha if you feel like a dummy I feel retarded. Ive had the same problem for over 3 months. I figured there was something wrong with my hack build hahahaha THANKS so much

I just registered to this for this single reason. lol

I found the Empty Trash Securely check box. But I cannot uncheck the box. I click and it stays checked. The boxes above it "Show warning before emptying.." and "Show warning before changing..." I can click select/de-select with no problem. Any idea what's keeping "securely" checked? I've had the new company MAC for two days now. Never had this trouble with the old MAC. I really can't stand the securely delete delay. Thanks in advance for your help.