Newton MessagePad (Take 2)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So we've got the iPod touch/iPhone and iPad. Does anyone else think there is room in Apple's portable lineup for something in between? something that uses/supports a stylus and handwriting recognition, something aimed at professionals more than casual users, another Newton MessagePad so to say.

iPod touch

4.3 in (h)

2.4 in (w)

iPad

9.56 in (h)

7.47 in (w)

Newton MessagePad

6.93 in (h)

4.8 in (w)

What do you all think? bad idea? good idea but needs polish?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    With Apple recently, I don't see it. The stylus would not fit their current sense of design which is going towards sheer simplicity. Sure, they could make a platform that 3rd parties would rush to develop for like they have the iPhone and are seeming to for the iPad.

Styli are available for the iPhone. The current ones I've seen are too small if you've got big hands; a larger form factor for the base device would lead to large styluses. There, I used both spellings of the word!

I'm looking forward to what the developers come up with for the iPad; I'm pretty sure we will see some amazing apps pretty soon.

I'm a professional and I can't wait to get my iPad and iWork and a drawing app or two and maybe an audio editor and finally have an electronic notepad on steroids.

As for handwriting, I think they will eventually develop a one-hand typing input method that will eliminate the need for a stylus, at least for writing. A stylus could be very helpful for drawing apps, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

So we've got the iPod touch/iPhone and iPad. Does anyone else think there is room in Apple's portable lineup for something in between? something that uses/supports a stylus and handwriting recognition, something aimed at professionals more than casual users, another Newton MessagePad so to say.

iPod touch

4.3 in (h)

2.4 in (w)

iPad

9.56 in (h)

7.47 in (w)

Newton MessagePad

6.93 in (h)

4.8 in (w)

What do you all think? bad idea? good idea but needs polish?

A device larger than iPhone/Touch is needed. It still needs to be pocketable though. As to a stylus that would be out of the question. Touch is perfectly usable by professionals, especially on a device this size. As to the market I'm not convinced that it would be entirely professional, such a device would be great for video and games too.

The only thing that really disappointed me with iPad was or is it's size. Mainly the problem is two fold. One issue is no wide screen. The otheris it is to big to be extremely portable.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    It seems the iPad will have more professional uses right out of the box than the Newton ever did after years of being on the market. I am speaking as a Newton owner who thought it would solve all sorts of problems, but in the end never found much use for it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Marketing solely to professionals is bad idea. Got it.

But I don't see how you can take notes or draw diagrams without a stylus? I just can't imagine a finger being as precise as a stylus. Maybe some third party supplier can take of it if Apple refused to ship it with a stylus.

How well does styluses work on capacitive displays? never tried it.

Apple should port its pro apps (Aperture, Logic and Final Cut) to the iPad, would definitely help with its adoption.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MIght Writepad be the answer? I have friends who also want to use the iPad to take written notes and then move them as text to their MacBook Pros. Is this what Writepad might do?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    PadNotes manages to deliver everything I wanted in the MessagePad (take 2) except the smaller form factor. I believe there is a place for something between the iPod touch/iPhone and iPad in size.

http://gizmodo.com/5491912/padnotes-...our-ideal-ipad