Startup developers represent one in five on Apple's App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

That's what they are doing because they hear about the App Store so they go check it out. People are complaining for a reason and I've become one of them.

Because people are looking for something useful, but don't have a specific need in mind. They are browsing the store. Like people do in knickknack shops filled with all sorts of things that appear to have no use, but people say "hey I can use that on this or that". Sometimes you get the customers who just walk right in and say "hey I want this, do you have it?" but most times people just browse and buy for other reasons. Perhaps they got a iPod Touch as a gift and now need to fill it up.

But I want to look, there is over 150,000 apps and there's got to be gems in there someplace.

I know what you mean. Its great that there are over 150,000 apps to choose from. But hearing that number for some of my friends with iPhones is a major turn off. They don't look at it as an opportunity but as work. How can you find anything? If people knew there were millions of web pages on the internet, they wouldn't try. But thinks to Google, the internet is the first place people go to find anything.

Apple needs to come up with a "Google" like search method for finding anything in the App store. I just don't know how that could work. I wish I could browse better through the store. Like you, I just want to find things. Here are some categories they might consider in setting up a more powerful browser:

Apps with "X" star reviews on average (X can be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5)

Apps in the store more than "X" days (x is your choice of days)

Apps with 'X' genius recommendations (X is the number of occurrences it appears on genius recommendations)

Apps with at least "X" reviews ("x" is number you supply)

Apps with my inputed exact phrase

Apps with more than 'X' professional reviews ('X' is the number the user inputs. Apple would have to scan the net to collect these)

Apps with more good reviews than bad reviews.

Apps with more bad reviews than good reviews.

I could go on but you get the idea. The customer could combine these options into a combinations of options. maybe I'm thinking to much like a programmer but I would appreciate something better than what we have now in the app store. Apple is missing a golden opportunity to help developers. If we had more confidence that someone could find our app, there would be more quality apps. I want to write something for the app store. I would love to know it could be found.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

For instance I scrolled through several thousand apps just now on VersionTracker and found a app called iBenge or something, supposed to save one money as they can look up a products symbol and see if they can get it cheaper on the internet or if it's just about the same price in the store.

Now I didn't know this app existed or that I had a need for it, but immediately thought "hey I could use this on a mobile device!" So I added it to my list of apps to get.

Great find. Unfortunately, it must be called "Something Else." Otherwise I might be able to find it as well.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

Apps with "X" star reviews on average (X can be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5)

Apps in the store more than "X" days (x is your choice of days)

Apps with 'X' genius recommendations (X is the number of occurrences it appears on genius recommendations)

Apps with at least "X" reviews ("x" is number you supply)

Apps with my inputed exact phrase

Apps with more than 'X' professional reviews ('X' is the number the user inputs. Apple would have to scan the net to collect these)

Apps with more good reviews than bad reviews.

Apps with more bad reviews than good reviews.

Thats to complicated. The App Store is made to be easy.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

There' still too much garbage to sort through...

Just apply the visible and ridiculously obvious search filters.

You DO visit the App Store on occasion, right?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Thats to complicated. The App Store is made to be easy.

Yes, I agree. It really is too complicated. I just can't think of an easy way to find something. I spend a lot of time in the App store. Like "WooHoo" discussed, it takes a while to wade through the current system. Are there any other ideas out there to find an app? Am I missing something?

Here is a test. If I said I needed an app that would tell me how to find the price of classic cars, could you find it? I know if I looked on the internet, I could probably find a web site through Google that supplied this information. But what if I wanted to see if an app supplied this info. How would you go about finding it?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

Here is a test. If I said I needed an app that would tell me how to find the price of classic cars, could you find it? I know if I looked on the internet, I could probably find a web site through Google that supplied this information. But what if I wanted to see if an app supplied this info. How would you go about finding it?

just use Bing. Google is evil.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

There' still too much garbage to sort through...

Seems like a public admission that the "Genius" feature of the AppStore is a huge failure. If they can't handle something like 150 000 items and search it, perhaps they should find a partner who is proficient in search large volume of data...wait they are in war with them.

Why it was necessary to remove the simple "web-page like" applications that were once let in ? Why they haven't introduced the "stupid apps" category and just moved on ? Censorship is never good.