'Fake Steve Jobs,' 'Seinfeld' scribe team for Silicon Valley comedy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Like the Peter Boyle suggestion -- somewhere some one put a pix of PB in young Frankenstein in comments about SB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think that may have been me, but Peter Boyle is out of the running since he is dead.

I mentioned it too, back in November in this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...67#post1523767 Post 33.

Too bad Peter Boyle has passed away.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Fake Steve Jobs was never funny IMO and Seinfeld is pretty much the only credit for Charles worth mentioning. T

Interesting thing - I thought Dan was writing for Newsweek. Fired already? A hacks life is so hard sometimes.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am not sure that this one has legs outside of the geek-community.

My prediction: 15 minutes of fame.

Just what I was thinking.

Enjoy the pilot cause that's all there will be.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Just what I was thinking.

Enjoy the pilot cause that's all there will be.

If its like what is on 9 to 5 then less than 15 minutes -- a 30 second commercial

http://www.9to5mac.com/

scroll down
  • Reply 25 of 44
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It could be like

"Big Bang Theory" meets "Entourage".

I wonder who is going to play Larry Ellison?

C.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Sounds real cool to me.

With all the pathetic reality TV crap out there - anything that has writers behind it will be an improvement to the TV format. ....

Agreed.

Unfortunately, Dan Lyons is not a very good writer, and Larry Charles is going to be the director of this thing, not the writer. Also, neither of these two have ever written a show by themselves. Dan Lyon is a business writer, and Larry Charles is like ... third assistant gag-writer on most of those shows mentioned in his CV.

People might be confusing Larry Charles with Larry David, who is the real genius behind a lot of those comedy shows.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Don't count this one out yet. Larry Charles is good and Lyons has some smarts to him.

The FSJ blog had some very funny stories in it. And he would only have to write, what? 8 a year. If this goes more 30 Rock it could succeed. The cast of characters is compelling. Especially if they show the goofy side of corporate execs. Besides Balmer and othe "Tech" guys. Just think of the fun they could have with a show lampooning "old Media" paper barons.

I know it'll get downloaded mroe than it will be watched on TV.

But will it be sold in the Itunes Store. Expect there to be a whole kerfuffle aout it not being allowed in, just for media awareness. MAybe a petition from "Grassroots fans". Operation iCon watch indeed"
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Casting Call

Who will play Steve Balmer, Bill Gates and lets not forget Google's cast of characters.

Brin has to be played by Ray Romano. Have you heard the two of them speak?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Brin has to be played by Ray Romano. Have you heard the two of them speak?

Hmmmm..... for that kind of wealth, I'll take those vocal chords!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I read the Fake Steve blog for a while, and the guy has a comic gift -- up to a point. He's actually a real Jobs-obsessed hater. The tipoff here is the title: "iCon." This is about a cable chief, right? Why drag in the bio that Jobs had pulled from the Apple stores?

When you look at Lyons' overall output re Apple, he's had a real mean on against the company, and personally against Steve, for a long time.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    pebpeb Posts: 1member
    iCon can be translated in French as iCunt (if you didn't know already)

You have to add " e", in French, to make it an "icone", in English: icon or ikon,

which certainly some Apple products are.

iCon, as a TV serial, would mean a story about idiots, bastards, fools....

using another meaning of the popular use in French of the word "con"!
  • Reply 32 of 44
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Agreed.

Unfortunately, Dan Lyons is not a very good writer, and Larry Charles is going to be the director of this thing, not the writer. Also, neither of these two have ever written a show by themselves. Dan Lyon is a business writer, and Larry Charles is like ... third assistant gag-writer on most of those shows mentioned in his CV.

People might be confusing Larry Charles with Larry David, who is the real genius behind a lot of those comedy shows.

re-watch some Seinfeld classics and note who gets the writing credits at the opening episode.

Many of the funny ones are Larry Charles.

Though, like you suggest, many are also Larry David.

Larry Charles is an extremely funny dude. This show could go either way.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I read the Fake Steve blog for a while, and the guy has a comic gift -- up to a point. He's actually a real Jobs-obsessed hater. The tipoff here is the title: "iCon." This is about a cable chief, right? Why drag in the bio that Jobs had pulled from the Apple stores?

When you look at Lyons' overall output re Apple, he's had a real mean on against the company, and personally against Steve, for a long time.

I never took him to be a Jobs hater, just an author trying to plumb some humor from oft-humorless situations.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peb View Post

You have to add " e", in French, to make it an "icone", in English: icon or ikon,

This show sounded stupid to begin with, but now it's funny in a "I'm laughing directly at you" kind of way. Thanks you.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Just think...

It could be a show about....

wait for it....

nothing!
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

re-watch some Seinfeld classics and note who gets the writing credits at the opening episode.

Many of the funny ones are Larry Charles.

Though, like you suggest, many are also Larry David.

Larry Charles is an extremely funny dude. This show could go either way.

I realize that I must be one of very few, but I found Seinfeld to be a very mediocre, unfunny show.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I realize that I must be one of very few, but I found Seinfeld to be a very mediocre, unfunny show.

Yup, you're right there. You are one of the few. Seinfeld is one of the greatest sitcoms ever made.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yup, you're right there. You are one of the few. Seinfeld is one of the greatest sitcoms ever made.

If you had the attention span of a severe ADD patient. Ooooo KITTIES! (runs from desk).
  • Reply 39 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Particularly in the context of other sit-coms up to that point. It was genius. Groundbreaking, narcissistic stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peb View Post

The ability of the American audience to understand a French pun is truly limited.