How to modify the "user dictionary"...I accidentally clicked "Learn Spelling"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As the thread title state, I accidentally clicked "Learn Spelling" on a misspelled word. How do I undo this action? Where is the user dictionary stored on the system (10.6.2)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Straight from the help menu searching on "Spelling"

Quote:

If you accidentally add a misspelled word to the dictionary, type the misspelling in the Spelling and Grammar window and click Ignore, or Control-click the misspelling and choose Unlearn Spelling from the shortcut menu.

I find I have to do that in a separate window from where I committed the original snafu.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Ah, thanks. I guess it all depends on your search terms. I was looking for user dictionary. LOL.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I'd like to see a listing of all user-added words. Does anyone know if this is possible?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd like to see a listing of all user-added words. Does anyone know if this is possible?

http://www.twoamsoftware.com/?q=dc/about

Dictionary Cleaner

Haven't tried it myself..

http://www.macworld.com/article/5235...editspell.html
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Interesting, but I can't seem to make Dictionary Cleaner work. Shows only one added word, but I know I've added many many more to my user dictionary.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    How about resetting the Dictionary to the original contents?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Interesting, but I can't seem to make Dictionary Cleaner work. Shows only one added word, but I know I've added many many more to my user dictionary.

I just tried something else because this didn't work for me either (32 bit?)

Went to

~Library>Spelling

Double clicked on the en file. Bunch of words in there that I have corrected/added. I am not sure if you can mess with this or not but it appears to be the list.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

I just tried something else because this didn't work for me either (32 bit?)

Went to

~Library>Spelling

Double clicked on the en file. Bunch of words in there that I have corrected/added. I am not sure if you can mess with this or not but it appears to be the list.

Well spotted! Editing with TextEdit (with a backup) seems worth a try for the adventurous. The only thing I notice is that the list is sorted alphabetically, which I presume means it is being managed by an application.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I looked in ~Library/Spelling, and have two files: en and LocalDictionary

"en" has a string of words that I have added, but these are dot separated by spaces or comas. I added a word just now, and it was added to the LocalDictionary file.It definitely seems that an app is managing this. It's a bit late right now, but I'll mess around in here later in the weekend.