Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I'm not a developer nor do I plan to be.

Before the App Store opened, any developer could test their iPhone apps on an iPhone. Sure, it wasn't the iPhone 3G but it was hardware that gave them a good idea of how their app would feel.

Obviously Apple can't send every developer an iPad or even do one of those tours where they go around the country letting developers try out the iPad. Totally understandable.

An alternative would be to delay iPad app approvals a week or so. This would limit the selection of day one apps to those that ship on the iPad but it would also mean the apps released—at least some of them—would be tested in more than just the simulator.

This likely won't be an issue a month after launch but in the first few weeks, it could taint users' opinions of iPad apps. Hopefully Apple's app reviewers will test these apps on the iPad.

Fortunately, third party apps aren't as important for the iPad as they are on the iPhone/iPod touch because many of the most popular iPhone apps are those that optimize web content for its small 3.5" screen. The iPad's much larger 9.7" screen means those apps aren't as necessary anymore because you can browse the Web without constant zooming in/panning/zooming out.

I predict the big system seller for the iPad will be its web browser. It was for me.

All of the developers use the SDK. It has a device simulator within it. It puts a full size ipad on your display (if you have a big enough screen) on which you run and fully interact with your application. Yes, having physical devices to beta test on makes things easier but until then the simulator does a good job.

I am buying an ipad on the strength of experience using the ipad in the simulator alone.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

At the very least... minimally observant.

Hahaha!
  • Reply 43 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I'd actually prefer Apple delay iPad app approvals for a week or two post-launch. That would at least give developers a chance to test on real world hardware.

Quote:

I'm not a developer nor do I plan to be.

Before the App Store opened, any developer could test their iPhone apps on an iPhone. Sure, it wasn't the iPhone 3G but it was hardware that gave them a good idea of how their app would feel.

Obviously Apple can't send every developer an iPad or even do one of those tours where they go around the country letting developers try out the iPad. Totally understandable.

An alternative would be to delay iPad app approvals a week or so. This would limit the selection of day one apps to those that ship on the iPad but it would also mean the apps released—at least some of them—would be tested in more than just the simulator.

This likely won't be an issue a month after launch but in the first few weeks, it could taint users' opinions of iPad apps. Hopefully Apple's app reviewers will test these apps on the iPad.

Fortunately, third party apps aren't as important for the iPad as they are on the iPhone/iPod touch because many of the most popular iPhone apps are those that optimize web content for its small 3.5" screen. The iPad's much larger 9.7" screen means those apps aren't as necessary anymore because you can browse the Web without constant zooming in/panning/zooming out.

I predict the big system seller for the iPad will be its web browser. It was for me.

I expect the apps submitted by the select group of developers given iPads to be good but I don't know about the rest. It's exciting both for us users and developers nonetheless.

Are you forgetting or ignoring that all of the apps submitted and approved for April 3rd will be tested on multiple iPads, by qualified iPad handlers, inside Apple?

No that doesn't replace the intermittent testing that should go on during development, but let's be honest, most Apps are simple enough to just follow the cookie cutter code, use the right interface elements, and they'll just work. The ones that DO just work, will get the thumbs up from Apple by the end of next week, and be tweaked and re-submitted for final approval and launch.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

And what are you then?

He is stubborn.

You are negative.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Between tekstud blatantly flaunting his ban and marvin the moderator spreading FUD about the iPad (the iPad has mobile phone level hardware and therefore won't be useful for artists looking for serious sketching/designing/layout/painting here) I'm starting to wonder what is up with this forum and what the heck the real admins are thinking.

Agree very much, I do.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Between tekstud blatantly flaunting his ban and marvin the moderator spreading FUD about the iPad (the iPad has mobile phone level hardware and therefore won't be useful for artists looking for serious sketching/designing/layout/painting here) I'm starting to wonder what is up with this forum and what the heck the real admins are thinking.

The frequency of trolldom has really lowered the level of discussion around here. It's unfortunate. It makes me wonder why so many Apple loathers hang around Mac/Apple discussion sites.

At least the political BS is low.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The frequency of trolldom has really lowered the level of discussion around here. It's unfortunate. It makes me wonder why so many Apple loathers hang around Mac/Apple discussion sites.

At least the political BS is low.

It's no better elsewhere. MacRumors is crawling with them. Unfortunately, they seem to want Mac/OS X's stability and feature set, but want the rest to be a Windows-like experience and can't seem to understand why it can't work that way.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's no better elsewhere. MacRumors is crawling with them. Unfortunately, they seem to want Mac/OS X's stability and feature set, but want the rest to be a Windows-like experience and can't seem to understand why it can't work that way.

So true!
  • Reply 49 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

He is stubborn.

You are negative.

Hahaha!

Add "opinionatedly" before stubborn and add "repetitively" before negative
  • Reply 50 of 76
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do the freaking MacRumors MODS spread FUD about Apple products? It's getting very silly around here.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD

And what are you then? .

I can be negative like the next person, but I can also be positive, unlike is possible for you.

Also Ireland is about a dozen times smarter and can write full sentences. That counts for a lot, emotional disposition aside. Nobody likes an angry dumbass.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also Ireland is about a dozen times smarter and can write full sentences. That counts for a lot, emotional disposition aside. Nobody likes an angry dumbass.

And never forget: Ireland hung tough for a tablet, for years, and then when it finally arrived but turned out not to be what he had in mind, he evaluated it on its own merits rather than dismiss it as "wrong." Which actually counts for a lot, in my book.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And never forget: Ireland hung tough for a tablet, for years, and then when it finally arrived but turned out not to be what he had in mind, he evaluated it on its own merits rather than dismiss it as "wrong." Which actually counts for a lot, in my book.

Seconded.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ditto
  • Reply 55 of 76
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Same IP as iGenius. Permanent ban.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Question?: will Apple release any unknown homegrown apps on April 3rd? So far they'll be releasing themselves:

iBooks

Keynote

Pages

Numbers

???

Will there be a new Remote app for iTunes, like they debuted when the App store opened?

Anything we haven't thought of?
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

Question?: will Apple release any unknown homegrown apps on April 3rd? So far they'll be releasing themselves:

iBooks

Keynote

Pages

Numbers

???

Will there be a new Remote app for iTunes, like they debuted when the App store opened?

Anything we haven't thought of?

Good question. Obviously you can use the iPhone/Touch versions of the current apps but making them Universal so they look and feel right on the iPad would be nice. Perhaps we'll know if they're updated just before the iPad release. I'm sure this opens up the door for more apps from Apple but I can't think of any at the moment.

List of Apple's App Store apps:
    1. Keynote Remote

2. MobileMe Disk

3. MobileMe Gallery

4. Remote

5. Texas Hold'em

Texas Hold'em might only need a couple minor changes due to scaling but otherwise still ideal for the iPad. Remote is only one I can see really benefiting from a completely redesigned iPad version that isn't integrated into another app. The three others likely could (and possibly should) be integrated into their respective apps instead of being separate.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good question. Obviously you can use the iPhone/Touch versions of the current apps but making them Universal so they look and feel right on the iPad would be nice. Perhaps we'll know if they're updated just before the iPad release. I'm sure this opens up the door for more apps from Apple but I can't think of any at the moment.

List of Apple's App Store apps:
    1. Keynote Remote

2. MobileMe Disk

3. MobileMe Gallery

4. Remote

5. Texas Hold'em

Texas Hold'em might only need a couple minor changes due to scaling but otherwise still ideal for the iPad. Remote is only one I can see really benefiting from a completely redesigned iPad version that isn't integrated into another app. The three others likely could (and possibly should) be integrated into their respective apps instead of being separate.

This is a bit of wishful thinking on my part but I wish Apple would allow the Remote app to play your music from your itunes library right on the iPad. The Remote app already knows you are on the network. I would think it wouldn't be hard to play music on the iPad as a client of the network. That could save me from having to load my music on the iPad. I could save some of my precious Gb.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

This is a bit of wishful thinking on my part but I wish Apple would allow the Remote app to play your music from your itunes library right on the iPad. The Remote app already knows you are on the network. I would think it wouldn't be hard to play music on the iPad as a client of the network. That could save me from having to load my music on the iPad. I could save some of my precious Gb.

I don't think that is too farfetched. Despite the popularity the iPad will have over every other tablet ever created it's still a device category that has much limited user interest than a smartphone or a PC. It also has limited storage and likely to be used in the home on a LAN. Because of these things, I'd think that allowing streaming from a local iTunes account Ã* la the AppleTV would be very likely.

You can already stream media from your iDisk account with ease, even over 3G, so all they really have to do is add the Sharing aspect of iTunes to the iPod app. I wouldn't be surprised if this was also part of the iPhone/Touch iPod app for v4.0.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Are you forgetting or ignoring that all of the apps submitted and approved for April 3rd will be tested on multiple iPads, by qualified iPad handlers, inside Apple?

No that doesn't replace the intermittent testing that should go on during development, but let's be honest, most Apps are simple enough to just follow the cookie cutter code, use the right interface elements, and they'll just work. The ones that DO just work, will get the thumbs up from Apple by the end of next week, and be tweaked and re-submitted for final approval and launch.

I think most people responding to my comments in this thread are taking my argument a bit too seriously. This isn't a big deal. It's a 'small deal' but an avoidable one.

Apps don't either work or not work. Most apps work. It's how well an app works that matters to users. I question whether Apple's app reviewers will block apps based on performance because only the developer knows how they want it to perform. And if the app reviewers do reject apps based on performance on real hardware, there's not much developers can do until they have hardware of their own.

Someone else argued that my suggestion to simply delay third party iPad apps a week or two would be "bad for business." Well, which is really worse: 1) users having to wait a week or two to download iPad-optimized apps or 2) getting to download potentially poorly-optimized apps that have only been tested in a simulator?

I think the latter is less desirable than the former. Apple surely doesn't want the same negative stigma the original iPhone App Store received in its first weeks, which was "there sure are a lot of flashlight apps."

Again, though, not a big deal.