Number of high school students planning to buy an iPhone doubles

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

This Munster is the same Munster who forecasted 700,000 iPads the first day sales.

How many would answer the same if they had to use their own money?

What are his personal investments? And Shaw Wu's and Katy Huberty's for that matter. Frankly, any person involved in the analysis game should be considered suspect.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    My little brother is at the end of junior hight to high school Freshmen level. According to him, a lot of the kids in school continue to carry multimedia phones and an iPod Touch. The phones that lie somewhere in-between a basic dumbphone and a smartphone. It seems like they generally just use them to talk, text, and use Facebook, something those cheaper phones do very well. And at prices the parents can agree with.

The iPod Touch allows them to get the same apps/games, but without having to ding their parents' wallets monthly.

But there are those priviledged few who do have smartphones (iPhones, Androids, and even a Nokia here and there).
  • Reply 23 of 26
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Something has to come along to unseat the iPhone. I mean it happened to the RAZR and other phones before it. Surely the iPhone love is just a fad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple fads have a way of turning into established products.

The RAZR and the iPhone can't be compared.

The razr was all hype. I know because I owned one. When it was first announced it was the only phone I considered and it was selling fort $500. As soon as the price dropped I grabbed one. It looked cool at the time and I could play games on it but it really didn't do much. I quickly grew bored with it.

The iPhone software is upgraded and evolves and every year Apple has released a new phone. I am eligible to upgrade in June and I will be purchasing the next model to replace my 3g as soon as I am able. I do not see myself switching to another brand.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...nearly twice as many students are planning to buy one of the touchscreen handsets...

Shouldn't it read;

Quote:

...nearly twice as many students are planning to get their parents to buy them one of the touchscreen handsets...

• Reply 25 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Something has to come along to unseat the iPhone. I mean it happened to the RAZR and other phones before it. Surely the iPhone love is just a fad.

You lost me at RAZR. iPhone is not just a phone. Smartphones today are platforms that connect to other platforms. The entire ecosystem is an n-tier solution.

iPhone isn't going to be unseated. It's evolving into other platforms.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I want to see the percentage of High School Students that "plan to buy an iPhone in the next 6 months" to the percentage of those same students who DID buy an iPhone in that same 6-month period. Then these numbers will have some significance.

When I was in High School I was always making plans to buy things like a new computer or cell phone (this was 8-12 years ago btw :P)... They pretty much never panned out.

My sister, who is currently in High School, is doing the same thing. She's been "planning" to buy an iPhone for over a year... hasn't happened yet. Same thing with a MacBook.