Apple's iPhone 4.0 beta includes linked contacts, iChat sounds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Noun plurals in English are not formed with an apostrophe-s. Not ever.

Not quite. See

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes

which says,

An exception ... is in the case of making a single letter plural. Therefore, Why are there so many i's in the word "indivisibility"? is correct.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Welcome to the internet.

The cool thing is that Apple is completely aware of this. Sites like Apple Insider are a big part of their marketing machine... Rumours/secretes (both true and untrue) help to build the frenzied anticipation of their products. At this point OS 4 is done and just in QA mode. I'm willing to bet the OS team is already working fulltime on the iPad version....

Welcome to the internet yourself...

Apple doesn't LIKE the leaking of secrets* unless said 'secrets' aren't really 'secret' anymore. The are NOT afraid to go after Apple 'Fan' Sites with the same legal wolf-pack that they'd use to go after someone who who was infringing on one of their patents. Okay not the 'same' wolf-pack but the pack right down the hall from the patent lawyers.

They do use 'controlled leaks' when it is to their advantage... like dulling expectations for an iPod Touch having a camera... or an iPhone having a front facing camera or even to project a notion that the tablet was going to be sold at a higher price then it turned out to be... Look back at the 'rumors' right before the launch... there was 'rumors' of the tablet possibly costing upwards of $899-999... Then when launch day came and the entry level price was $499 people were happily surprised.

*Secrets being anything covered by an NDA that hasn't been made public...

This being said... Apple has been somewhat more relaxed about NDA protected information that is now 'openly' available to anyone who signs up to one of the Apple developer programs. If a developer was brazen enough to shout it from the rooftops then Apple still might react (to set an example) but lets face it.. once the SDK is released the information is OUT.

Make no mistakes about AI and Apples relationship tho... Apple has taken them to court (or filed suit anyway) not too many years ago... and believe me it didn't do Apples Image any good in the process.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Welcome to the internet yourself...

Apple doesn't LIKE the leaking of secrets* unless said 'secrets' aren't really 'secret' anymore. The are NOT afraid to go after Apple 'Fan' Sites with the same legal wolf-pack that they'd use to go after someone who who was infringing on one of their patents. Okay not the 'same' wolf-pack but the pack right down the hall from the patent lawyers.

They do use 'controlled leaks' when it is to their advantage... like dulling expectations for an iPod Touch having a camera... or an iPhone having a front facing camera or even to project a notion that the tablet was going to be sold at a higher price then it turned out to be... Look back at the 'rumors' right before the launch... there was 'rumors' of the tablet possibly costing upwards of $899-999... Then when launch day came and the entry level price was $499 people were happily surprised.

*Secrets being anything covered by an NDA that hasn't been made public...

This being said... Apple has been somewhat more relaxed about NDA protected information that is now 'openly' available to anyone who signs up to one of the Apple developer programs. If a developer was brazen enough to shout it from the rooftops then Apple still might react (to set an example) but lets face it.. once the SDK is released the information is OUT.

Make no mistakes about AI and Apples relationship tho... Apple has taken them to court (or filed suit anyway) not too many years ago... and believe me it didn't do Apples Image any good in the process.

I think were agreeing.... Before a products release, Apple certainly does a lockdown on any information getting out. You look at the iPad, that thing was in development for 2-5 years... When you think of all those hands that touched the product during dev, it's trully amazing that not a single photo or real bit of info came out until days before release... I don't know exactly how many devs are involved in the OS 4 QA, but I think it's on a pretty massive scale (I've had 4 frends who did OSX testing). As I said in my post, With the beta, Apple has to assume it's now public (how crazy was it that someone created a jailbreak version in 1 day?!). At this point it's just about getting OS4 bulletproof for the general public... I'm sure they're already working on the next steps..
  • Reply 44 of 54
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

I think were agreeing.... Before a products release, Apple certainly does a lockdown on any information getting out. You look at the iPad, that thing was in development for 2-5 years... When you think of all those hands that touched the product during dev, it's trully amazing that not a single photo or real bit of info came out until days before release... I don't know exactly how many devs are involved in the OS 4 QA, but I think it's on a pretty massive scale (I've had 4 frends who did OSX testing). As I said in my post, With the beta, Apple has to assume it's now public (how crazy was it that someone created a jailbreak version in 1 day?!). At this point it's just about getting OS4 bulletproof for the general public... I'm sure they're already working on the next steps..

Agreed
  • Reply 45 of 54
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe?

http://www.angryflower.com/aposter.html
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Interesting as that may be. I was trying to ask somebody how many As they got last semester. How would you recommend I do that without an apostrophe? As is would appear to say As.

The letter A is used an an indefinite article. The letter A used for grades would be a noun, however the letter grade A also represents a level of understanding or achievement and therefore can also be an adjective. I would put it like this: How many "A"s did you get last semester? I would use the quotation marks marks and the plural S. Just a thought.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

My understanding is that it is "grudgingly OK" to do this when the noun is an acronym, as in the question "how many PDF's did you send me?" Another poster suggested another use case "how many A's did your son get?" that seems like a tolerable exception as well.

Thompson

"Tolerable" and "correct" are not equivalent. :-)

Correct: PDFs and "A"s.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Linked Contacts

As can be seen below, a new version of the Contacts app due to ship with this summer's release will let users link multiple contacts together to form unified contact lists. The option "Link New Contacts?" appears at the base of each contact info pane.

Once a linked contact has been added to a primary contact, the info pane for the primary contact merges that contact information for both contacts into a single pane relabeled as "Unified Info." An option at the base of the unified pane lists the number of linked contacts and directs users to a "Linked Contacts" pane to merge even more contacts into the unified list.

can someone explain the purpose/advantages of linked contacts?
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Oh... thats easy.... this is all the evil doings of a:

Justin Barelyfarts

5 Tall Cedar Road

Goose Island, Oregon 97103

The first person who correctly connected the address wins the Internet.

Dr. Robert Hume, a.k.a. Stephen W. Falken

*cough* when do I get my Internets? Else, we'll be gettin' us some War Games.. I can tell ya!
  • Reply 50 of 54
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Should we be glorifying these guys with media attention?

NO - we should not. If they sign an NDA and then ignore the contract they made how can you trust them at all. I see no reasonable justification for their action.

This hurts business - and even if it did not it is a violation of the contract they agreed to that was a condition of getting this software for development purposes.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    yseanysean Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I like the simple route by going with iOS, as some of us have been doing already. I know it may sound weird to some, but it can cover anything, and it's easy to say, and does have a certain "ring" to it.

You do realize that IBM has the i/OS? Sounds like another lawsuit & payoff in the making.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ysean View Post

You do realize that IBM has the i/OS? Sounds like another lawsuit & payoff in the making.

No, I didn't realize it. What systems does it run on? It's possible that it's different enough, and that the slash would make both allowable.

Remember the questions about Apple System 9, also called by Apple OS9? They were sued by the vender of "OS9", but that was resolved. So was the name iPhone as per Cisco, and iPad, with Fujitsu.

There is no way to say that iOS couldn't be a viable name for Apple if they wanted to use it.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Ok, to actually get back to the topic here. What's are those "linked contacts" for actually? I tried them out myself, and to be honest I don't quite get it what they are for. So I have a John Doe and a John Smith with one phone number each, then I link them and then under the name John Smith I have both numbers. Hmm.

Ok played with it for a while. I think I know where it's going, it's just not fully implemented yet. Say you have a contact called "John Smith" and another contact called "Jane Smith" all with their own telephone numbers, mail addresses etc, when you link them together, the final contact says just "John Smith" and the telephone numbers etc. from both contacts show up. But when you edit this unified contact, it says "Multiple First Names" in the "first name" text field and "Smith" in the "last name" text field. So when fully implemented, I'd guess you'd see something like "Jane & John Smith" in your contact list, which could be quite useful. Could also be useful for business contacts, like when you have multiple contacts at ACME Inc. you can all group them together into one ACME Inc. contact etc. The problem with the current implementation is that if you look at the unified contact, you have several phone numbers which just say "mobile" for example and you don't know which is which. It should read something like "Jane's mobile" and "John's mobile" instead.

Well, it's just a beta ...
  • Reply 54 of 54
    This other blog found some more proof of iChat on iPhone OS 4.0:

http://www.s10a02t01.info/blog/2010/...-beta-release/

Also, I thought it was interesting that the same blog said that Apple is trying to integrate Facebook into the iPhone:

http://www.s10a02t01.info/blog/2010/...iphone-os-4-0/