Apple fixes 27-inch iMac glitches, issues Mac OS X security updates

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    I have no idea what problems posters "Rain" and "Highflyer" are really having.

I have a quad-core i7 iMac, it is AWESOME and has no problems, no pink or yellow stripes, it is unbelievably fast and it looks beautiful and bright.

So, should I install the firmware update? No yellow stripes to fix, so "why fix what ain't broke"?

Is there a chance that the firmware update will cause more problems that I don't have right now?
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Your problems are most unfortunate. I hope it isn't typical because I'm about to buy one. I'm reminded of the nightmare my iBook G3 was.

London Drugs is generally ok but it might be time to move on. There is a genuine Apple store in Pacific Centre (downtown Vancouver). I've also had good experiences with Simply Computing on Broadway. Their customer base seems to be mostly pros and so relatively low BS factor.

In any case, find a store that specializes in Apple products rather than "everything."
  • Reply 43 of 52
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

I have no idea what problems posters "Rain" and "Highflyer" are really having.

I have a quad-core i7 iMac, it is AWESOME and has no problems, no pink or yellow stripes, it is unbelievably fast and it looks beautiful and bright.

So, should I install the firmware update? No yellow stripes to fix, so "why fix what ain't broke"?

Is there a chance that the firmware update will cause more problems that I don't have right now?

Just having an absurd run of bad luck. I phoned another authorized reseller and talked to their tech guy. He said their have been lots of problems with the 27" i7's and he's replaced a lot of LG panels on the 27" in general. He's only seen the odd hinge problem. They have had the occasional DOA machine and the broken power button I had on one was a new one to him.

But I better not say more - as I'm obviously a troll. Because Apple has never had a manufacturing problem ever in the history of the company. Snow Leopard was 100% perfect on release - and the name ' iPad ' is like God himself came down and etched it on Steve Jobs forehead for all to see... it's that awesome.

Oh, and Apple is the only company to ever innovate anything... ever. Everyone else copies. Apple is the hub of all original thought.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obscurion View Post

Your problems are most unfortunate. I hope it isn't typical because I'm about to buy one. I'm reminded of the nightmare my iBook G3 was.

London Drugs is generally ok but it might be time to move on. There is a genuine Apple store in Pacific Centre (downtown Vancouver). I've also had good experiences with Simply Computing on Broadway. Their customer base seems to be mostly pros and so relatively low BS factor.

In any case, find a store that specializes in Apple products rather than "everything."

I usually buy most of my machines from Simply. However, after reading the problems with the 27" - I decided to go to London Drugs because of their return policy. Did I do it to myself? Chicken & Egg debate.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Just having an absurd run of bad luck. I phoned another authorized reseller and talked to their tech guy. He said their have been lots of problems with the 27" i7's and he's replaced a lot of LG panels on the 27" in general. He's only seen the odd hinge problem. They have had the occasional DOA machine and the broken power button I had on one was a new one to him.

This part, reasonable.

Quote:

But I better not say more - as I'm obviously a troll. Because Apple has never had a manufacturing problem ever in the history of the company. Snow Leopard was 100% perfect on release - and the name ' iPad ' is like God himself came down and etched it on Steve Jobs forehead for all to see... it's that awesome.

Oh, and Apple is the only company to ever innovate anything... ever. Everyone else copies. Apple is the hub of all original thought.

This part, not so much.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

So yeah. Appreciate your issues are real and very frustrating. A couple of questions though: did you call AppleCare first before tripping back and forth? Or did you need immediate replacement - because at least in the US, if you are outside a 50 mile radius, they simply ship you a pre-paid container to ship it back with. If you needed immediate resolution - yeah that majorly sucks to have to trip back and forth like that. For me if the first had the issue the second would have been uncrated and powered up/checked in the store before leaving - I insist on it. Do you know if the units sold you were reseals - returns they foisted on you? This would potentially explain the repeated issues. Several retailers here have been charged with doing that.

Try to leave off the snark though. Yeah some here have problems with Apple fallibility, but you take it too far and just invite more diatribe. Why even go there? Do you really enjoy getting your hackles up and ranting? Or conversely baiting others to rant as well? The last part above was borderline adolescent. Really. Sorry you're bitter and upset. Just be glad this isn't a soccer thread - someone would be at your door to punch you by now!
  • Reply 47 of 52
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

mine is a january model i5, flawless, ordered from amazon. i've never been happier with any computer i've bought so far. it's nigh on perfect.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by highflyer View Post

3) DVD drive scratches disks beyond point of repair;

This is an issue I've seen too. It's not the drives but the edge of the slot. If you just take a blank disc and push it in and out without letting it grab the disc and angle it backwards a bit, after 2 or 3 tries, the disc gets very scratched up. If you tape up the back edge of the slot with thick tape or a couple of layers of thin tape, the problem doesn't occur but is certainly a design flaw.

I haven't seen the issues with the displays or any other problems mentioned with 27" i5 or 21" iMacs. The only thing I've seen is what looks like dead pixels but is just some moisture or something on the back of the glass panel.

The machines do get pretty hot though and you can't really touch the top of them after running the CPUs at full for a while.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

So yeah. Appreciate your issues are real and very frustrating. A couple of questions though: did you call AppleCare first before tripping back and forth? Or did you need immediate replacement - because at least in the US, if you are outside a 50 mile radius, they simply ship you a pre-paid container to ship it back with. If you needed immediate resolution - yeah that majorly sucks to have to trip back and forth like that. For me if the first had the issue the second would have been uncrated and powered up/checked in the store before leaving - I insist on it. Do you know if the units sold you were reseals - returns they foisted on you? This would potentially explain the repeated issues. Several retailers here have been charged with doing that.

Try to leave off the snark though. Yeah some here have problems with Apple fallibility, but you take it too far and just invite more diatribe. Why even go there? Do you really enjoy getting your hackles up and ranting? Or conversely baiting others to rant as well? The last part above was borderline adolescent. Really. Sorry you're bitter and upset. Just be glad this isn't a soccer thread - someone would be at your door to punch you by now!

There is a clique on this site that do their best to flame anyone who has anything negative to say about Apple... labeling them as trolls. 'Disagree with us... your a troll'

It's easy in times of frustration to get sucked into their game. I'll drop the snark.

We have a fully functioning iMac i5 for now. The hinge is a little loose for my taste (needs to be lifted up every hour or so) but it's my wife's machine and she's so fed up she says she can live with it. My concern is that over time it will just get worse. The 27" are quite heavy.

For those considering buying one...

Check the serial number out first at www.appleserialnumberinfo.com - stay away from week 9 of this year. Was a very bad week it seems.

You can also check this site out: http://imac.squeaked.com/ for a breakdown of user-based issues, even down to the week.

For the fan boi's here who look at Apple through rose colored glasses... If you want to protect your portfolio, your love for everything Mac... try and be even a little bit objective. Don't let Apple slip down that path of less quality for more profit. Which is exactly what has been happening. With Apple's extraordinary growth of over 400% in the last 5 years alone, there are going to be quality issue's.

Lastly, I can say with certainty that there are maybe only 2 other people on this site that have been with Apple as long as I have. I've lived the ebb and flow - not read about it like most of you. Be careful who you call troll.

If every customer matters to Apple... not all of them would give them 5 chances. When the 'evangelists' start to loose faith - it's time to maybe take a hard look at quality.

Yah... Apple seems to be doing fine without my input... but so is Walmart - and who wants to live in that culture?
  • Reply 50 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I ordered a custom built 2 TB core i5 iMac on Black Friday. I watched its itinerary from Shanghai, China up to my door last December:

Location \t Date \t Local Time Description

LOUISVILLE, KY, US\t 15/12/2009 \t15:43 \t DEPARTURE SCAN

What happened to Gatineau, Quebec?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Lastly, I can say with certainty that there are maybe only 2 other people on this site that have been with Apple as long as I have. I've lived the ebb and flow - not read about it like most of you. Be careful who you call troll.

If every customer matters to Apple... not all of them would give them 5 chances. When the 'evangelists' start to loose faith - it's time to maybe take a hard look at quality.

You just pointed out the trollness in you right there, Mr. troll.

If you have really been with Apple for as long as you claimed to have been, you would have known and in very high possibility experienced first hand about Apple's customer care. With Apple's quality customer care you could have gotten a free mac after your 4th broke down. I got my 4 year old Macbook's power adapter replaced free of charge and I was in and out of the Apple store in less then 30 mins. Mind you I didnt even have Apple Care.

So yes, feel free to come to my door and punch me in the face for I have called you a troll, again.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    I have an iMac 27 i5 and it suffers as many others of black screen after sleep.

I was happy to see that Apple had finally decided to solve this problem of screen not waking up after a "monitor sleep" (when waking up the computer I can hear the hard drive spins but no image) but this last update doesn't change anything... 4 times out of 5 my screen stays black when waking up my computer after a sleep... That is such a pain in the ...