Apple fixes 27-inch iMac glitches, issues Mac OS X security updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday afternoon issued a number of updates, addressing high processor usage and other glitches in its 27-inch iMac, as well as various security updates for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

27-inch iMac updates

Two updates released Wednesday address issues with the 27-inch big screen iMac, released in October 2009.

"27-inch iMac EFI FW Update 1.0" is recommended for all systems with quad-core Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors. The update resolves an issue that caused high processor utilization when playing audio through the headphone output, and fixes a problem that prevented the display backlight from turning on after powering on the iMac.

The 2.1MB update is available for download from Apple. It requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later.

"27-inch iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.0" fixes Target Display Mode compatibility issues on the 27-inch desktop iMac. The 397KB update also requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later.

Snow Leopard, Leopard security updates

Also Wednesday, Apple issued Security Update 2010-003 for Snow Leopard (6.50MB), Leopard Client (218.6MB), and Leopard Server (379.5MB). The update addresses a vulnerability related to viewing or downloading a document containing a maliciously crafted embedded font. Discovery of the exploit is credited to researcher Charlie Miller, who worked with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative and reported the issue to Apple.

Finally, Server Admin Tools 10.6.3, a 236MB update, was released. The update includes the latest releases of iCal Server Utility, Podcast Composer, Server Admin, Server Monitor, Server Preferences, System Image Utility, Workgroup Manager, and Xgrid Admin. It is recommended for remote administration of Snow Leopard Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charlie Miller, who worked with TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative and reported the issue to Apple.

.[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Well done Charlie
  • Reply 2 of 52
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    TOTAL BULLSHIT

Hey Steve Jobs... I just went through 4 of your new Chinese iMac's in 2 days. All of them garbage and broken in some way.

My wife's first experience buying a Mac is having a pissed off husband spending over 8 hours in traffic running your shoddy Chinese crap back and forth. Is this the Apple experience you were after?

This is your 3rd press release telling us your "glitches" are fixed. (And if you think that DOA and broken components are 'glitches'... my god man... )

Where is your quality control? Seriously... where is it?

It's non existent is where it is.

All your focus on iPad's while your desktop lines go into the crapper.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

TOTAL BULLSHIT

Hey Steve Jobs... I just went through 4 of your new Chinese iMac's in 2 days. All of them garbage and broken in some way.

My wife's first experience buying a Mac is having a pissed off husband spending over 8 hours in traffic running your shoddy Chinese crap back and forth. Is this the Apple experience you were after?

This is your 3rd press release telling us your "glitches" are fixed. (And if you think that DOA and broken components are 'glitches'... my god man... )

My first two apple machines (an i7 iMac and MacBook Air) were perfect right out of the box. Sorry to hear you've had some really bad luck on that. No one ever wants to have problems right out of the box and deal with the hassles of exchanging it. But Apple does back up their products with a great warranty. Perhaps that entire palette had a rough ride in transit. That's just not right. Perhaps try a different store? That sucks.

What was the final outcome? Is everything all right now? For what it's worth, when the dust settles and all is well, buy a lottery ticket. Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Will this update make the screen matte....
  • Reply 5 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

TOTAL BULLSHIT

sorry you have a bad time. however you were part of a small percent of folks that had issues with the 27 inch imac so to rant that they have crap QC isn't really correct.

As for the ipad dig, the world is going mobile so yes they are going to spend some time on that side of things, get used it. Doesn't mean they don't care. The fact they are constantly issuing updates rather than holding them all for updates every six months or such in a huge service pack is a sign of that.

Perhaps the real answer is that Macs are not for everyone and you are one of them. After all you yourself said (in one of your many anti Mac rants) that at least the imac is 'dead to me' so it really won't be a big issue for you
  • Reply 6 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

TOTAL BULLSHIT

Borderline trolling.

I understand your frustration but you simply need to communicate a bit better. We've let some of the recent rants go but this behavior cannot contine. Infraction.

Tone it down a bit please. We want your voice to be heard but the cursing and hyperbole must stop.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    And still no fix for wireless SMB copying that says it copied X amount of files and then when done, it deletes a random number of files. 10.6.3 release notes said it fixed it, but I guess not. Not even the supplemental .3 update worked. I do appreciate the security updates however.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Borderline trolling.

I understand your frustration but you simply need to communicate a bit better. We've let some of the recent rants go but this behavior cannot contine. Infraction.

Tone it down a bit please. We want your voice to be heard but the cursing and hyperbole must stop.

Check his posting history, this isn't borderline anything, except perhaps psychotic. He's posting the same FUD over and over.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

FWIW, I went through 3 MacBook Pros in a year (back in 2007). One with a half dead screen (cable pinched), one who's lid was severely warped (they didn't take it back until they found an internal screw missing), and the last one I had had a graphics chip burn up due to over heating. The three were from three seperate stores, different times of the year.

However, I have a Powerbook 3400c that still works. Also, a Quadra 840av that works too circa 1993. Back then, Apple's quality was much higher than now.

My suggestion, take your money else where. I built a really nice desktop, and bought a netbook for the road with some cash left over from my MBP purchace. I've NEVER regretted my decision.

Trust me, you DEFINITELY aren't the only one.

There are plenty of people who don't have a single issue with their Macs, and power too them.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    Installed.

Snappier?

• Reply 11 of 52
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I'm running both the update and downloaded the two manual patches. The odd thing is that the automatic update already lists the EFI update. It does not list the SMC update, so I guess that one is optional.

I haven't had any display issues, but I guess I'll go ahead and install it. Anyone else have any feedback on these updates yet?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I'm running both the update and downloaded the two manual patches. The odd thing is that the automatic update already lists the EFI update. It does not list the SMC update, so I guess that one is optional.

I haven't had any display issues, but I guess I'll go ahead and install it. Anyone else have any feedback on these updates yet?

Ok, I installed the security updates, the EFI update, and the SMC update. Nothing weird to report one way or the other. I had on display or power problems, so I can't speak to whether or not this fixes anything though
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Regarding the 27" iMacs: I'm glad that I didn't pull the trigger! I was sorely tempted to do so before the holidays, but the shipping delays deterred me. I've been dying for a quad-core, but my "Early 2008" iMac still has enough horsepower for me -- really, it does, I just have to convince myself sometimes (i.e., stop dreaming & face reality).

I've been fortunate: all of my Macs (not to mention the old Apple IIgs ) have had long, healthy careers. Sure, the occasional hard-drive has died (including the original WD model from this iMac, but with all the heat and abuse to which I've subjected it, no surprise!), and I've had a few "user-created" issues (including not properly seating a processor upgrade in an old beige G3, which this dummy easily fixed once educated). But my experience in the Mac realm has been overwhelmingly positive.

As a general rule, I avoid "first editions." Clearly, this new top-of-the-line iMac wasn't quite ready for primetime when it came out of the oven.

And enough horror stories (or even not-so-horrible-but-still-awfully-woeful tales) have been mentioned here and elsewhere to cool any excitement I may have developed. (I feel sorry for the folks who wander in blindly, without waiting a little while and seeing how the field develops.) All releases experience their share of issues, but the 27" iMacs have had an especially-clear profile of problems.

(And don't forget those 2009 Mac Pros and their audio issues, solved not too long ago.)

Here's looking at the next iMac revision: may it be much more problem-free!

Let's see what develops with the new MacBook Pros...
  • Reply 14 of 52
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    We are taking this 4th one back. Went to a different location today to look at one they just got in, made them open it in store... sloppy hinge problem. Thats 5. I've been dealing with London Drugs because they have a 14 day return policy.

Did Ives even take into account the weight of the 27"? Sloppy industrial design or cheap parts? Thats a pretty big thing to cheap out on. That is a function that should NEVER be a problem.

Wife is going to keep using my 17" 1ghz G4 laptop for now because it's more reliable then any new iMac i've come across. How's that for progress

I'm not trolling. But if any of you had to spend over an hour fighting traffic, there, back, there, back, there, back, there, back... and now you have to go there again and back 1 more time... I'm sure every one of you would be at my level of frustration.

Apple also said they fixed the glitches in February, then again in March, and now again in April.

New 27" iMac's =

One note of interest when I was talking to the Apple Tech. The custom ordered Mac's are put together in the USA... all the rest come from China.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

TOTAL BULLSHIT

I hope you're actually communicating these complaints to Apple, because no one here is authorized to accept returns or repair your malfunctioning computers... not that we don't all enjoy your endless stream of rants.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:

We are taking this 4th one back. Went to a different location today to look at one they just got in, made them open it in store... sloppy hinge problem. Thats 5. I've been dealing with London Drugs because they have a 14 day return policy.

Did Ives even take into account the weight of the 27"? Sloppy industrial design or cheap parts? Thats a pretty big thing to cheap out on. That is a function that should NEVER be a problem.

Wife is going to keep using my 17" 1ghz G4 laptop for now because it's more reliable then any new iMac i've come across. How's that for progress

I'm not trolling. But if any of you had to spend over an hour fighting traffic, there, back, there, back, there, back, there, back... and now you have to go there again and back 1 more time... I'm sure every one of you would be at my level of frustration.

Apple also said they fixed the glitches in February, then again in March, and now again in April.

New 27" iMac's =

One note of interest when I was talking to the Apple Tech. The custom ordered Mac's are put together in the USA... all the rest come from China.

Your dilemma is exactly why I would first consider a refurbished model. It has had an extra level of scrutiny that a brand new one dosen't receive. I wish you luck and hope that your issues are resolved very soon.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

If you've had multiple problems with Macs, that certainly sucks and can be frustrating, but that doesn't mean that all or most or even a greater percentage of Macs are having problems than when you bought your 17" 1GHz PB; it's anecdotal evidence that you are having multiple problems. So when you repeat a harangue telling people not to buy Macs that comes across as trolling.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen BTO Macs get shipped straight from China so I don't know if that information is correct. Even if it was, I wouldn't put any stock into an American constructed CE being better than the China constructed version since nearly every component is created in China and it makes no financial sense to ship non-BTO Macs DOA to customers without QC checks.

Based on my anecdotal experience with Apple and the problems you are having I'd weigh in the reseller pushing bad product that they got at a lower price. Perhaps you should have called Apple and had them ship you a new iMac instead.

I also don't recall reading about any hinge problem, and your 5 iMac issues is well beyond the norm so suggesting that the 27" iMacs are fatally flawed when there are plenty of reports of happy customers with no issues indicates that you either very unlucky or we are not considering all values of this equation.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Quote:

New 27" iMac's =

There is something definitely fishy going on with your problems. Is this an Apple store or is it a reseller? Either the entire batch that got shipped to the UK stores somehow took a beating during transit or that store (if reseller) is trying to pawn off something else. Your situation is totally not typical. You should contact Apple so they know about your case. I'd be pissed too.

Quote:

Maybe the UK is different but when I ordered my i7 iMac, it did come from China as I tracked the shipment from beginning to end. It's worked flawlessly since day on. This is my first personal iMac and I will not go back to a regular PC again. So sorry for your issues. Good luck.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

There is something definitely fishy going on with your problems. Is this an Apple store or is it a reseller? Either the entire batch that got shipped to the UK stores somehow took a beating during transit or that store (if reseller) is trying to pawn off something else.

His location states Vancouver and googling the store shows London Drugs is a Canadian store. Looks like a Target or Walmart type store.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Borderline trolling.

Borderline?