Why didn't Walker just move to Utah?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38541-2002Jan25.html"; target="_blank">Lindh Showed Zeal of Converts</a>

By Hamza Hendawi

Associated Press Writer

Friday, January 25, 2002; 2:31 PM

[quote]HASSANI KALAN SURANI, Pakistan -- During his six months of study at an Islamic school here, John Walker Lindh expressed admiration for the Taliban and even talked of taking four wives as permitted under Islam, according to those who knew him....<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Does anyone else HATE the fact that his parents hired 4 high priced lawyers to defend their kid?

If I was his lawyer, and I knew he was guilty, I would testify against him. I wouldn't care what laws I would break... Well, maybe just lose the case on purpose... I know one thing for sure, the prosecutin damn sure better not fall for a plea-bargain. He really should be tried for treason.... (I'm not saying he is guilty of it.. but there should be enough suspision to make it doable...)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I don't mind that they hired lawyers. Even good ones. But they've already started to slander the US Military, FBI and others.

Soon it will be, "Not only did he not do these things...if he did the US had it coming."

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    There are a lot of 'interesting' problems about this case. First, where are you going to find an impartial jury? Then people are so upset about this guy, that it's going to be hard to protect him.

Finally, we have to follow our own laws and try him under those laws, and a lot of people aren't going to understand when they case ends why he isn't going to be in prison for the rest of his life, or why he isn't going to be killed. We also don't know all of the 'evidence', but from what we know, it's going to take a lot more than what they have to prove that this guy was a member of Al Qaeda instead of just being a member of the Taliban.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    See? It's starting already.