Unexpected delays slow delivery of custom-built MacBook Pros, Apple says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I don't understand why none of the three 15" MBP models include high res and/or anti glare screens as a standard feature. I would think 15" MBP with better screen would be more popular than offering $2200 i7-based 15" MBP.

Simple, they aren't the most popular choices. I checked out the 15" high-res and as much as I'd like for certain things I won't buy it until RI is in place because everything is way to small for my liking.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    I feel for everyone who is yet to receive their MBP.

I ordered this configuration at about 2:30pm on the first day they came out:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

stock 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

15" high-res anti-glare screen

The delivery window was the 16th to 21st, and it arrived 2 minutes before the FedEx suggested delivery time of 10:30am on the 21st. I called Apple on the 16th just to see if there was any chance of getting it before the weekend, the woman said no, I gave a sob story (though true) of being a professional photographer with two jobs coming on the weekend I was really hoping to have the MBP for, and she said she gave me the fastest 2-day shipping option possible.

Another delay was migrating my data from a 13" MacBook, it hung at less than a minute left and took over 6.5 hours to move less than 200GB of data. Then my Logitech VX Nano mouse went crazy taking a few hours of research to get to at least an acceptable level of performance. Anyone use the MS 6000 mouse and like it? Thinking of changing.

Can't wait for Nik Software to upgrade the Color Efex & Silver Efex plugins to 64-bit so I can use Aperture 3 in 64-bit mode instead of still having to use it in 32-bit mode.

Other than that, everything has been pretty good with the new MBP so far, it is dead quiet. Only a junk flash game on Facebook has caused the fan to go on so far.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    I ordered 2 hours after the update was released. 15" MBP, i7, 8GB, 500GB 7,200RPM, Hi-Res Antiglare. Just arrived about 20 minutes ago. It's a thing of beauty if you haven't seen this screen. Worth the wait, even if your's has been delayed.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I have a ship date of April 30 for my 15", i7, anti-glare, 8 gigs, 7200 rpm drive. I ordered last Friday from a local vendor - not Apple store. The applecare package arrived this past Tuesday.

Yeah, I had to laugh at that one as well.

I received this big box with just the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adaptor just yesterday as part of my shipment.

Just the shipping department pulling our pudstrings.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Consider yourself lucky. I ordered a 15" hires antiglare the day they were released and got a shipment estimate for April 22.-23. According to the TNT tracking number, it actually did leave the factory on April 17th and then got stuck at Pudong Int'l Airport on the 19th. No word ever since then. I understand they couldn't fly because of Eyjafjallajökull (the bloody volcano), but according to the TNT newsletter, they're back to normal schedule for several days now. I'd expect the shipment to at least move on now...

Somehow Murphy really likes me, the last MBP I ordered took 3 weeks to arrive, instead of the estimated 7 days. Guess I can only wait and hope that it will eventually arrive before the next generation is out.

I don't think that volcano has long to go. Most of it is on my car now.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsol1337 View Post

I ordered 2 hours after the update was released. 15" MBP, i7, 8GB, 500GB 7,200RPM, Hi-Res Antiglare. Just arrived about 20 minutes ago. It's a thing of beauty if you haven't seen this screen. Worth the wait, even if your's has been delayed.

Here is a comparison of pixel densities.
    . . . 13" MBP :: 113 ppi = 0.2238 mm dot pitch

. . . 15" MBP :: 110 ppi = 0.2303 mm dot pitch

. .15" MBP HR :: 129 ppi = 0.1974 mm dot pitch

. . . 17" MBP :: 133 ppi = 0.1907 mm dot pitch

. . . . . . . —— . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . .iPad :: 132 ppi = 0.1925 mm dot pitch

. . . . . . . —— . . . . . . . . . . . .

iPhone/3G/3GS :: 165 ppi = 0.1541 mm dot pitch

. . .25% more :: 206 ppi = 0.1233 mm dot pitch

. . .50% more :: 247 ppi = 0.1027 mm dot pitch

. .G4 iPhone :: 330 ppi = 0.0771 mm dot pitch

. . . . . . . —— . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . Nexus One :: 252 ppi = 0.1007 mm dot pitch

. .Moto Droid :: 264 ppi = 0.0959 mm dot pitch

. . HTC Droid :: 252 ppi = 0.1007 mm dot pitch
    † - Rumoured
  • Reply 47 of 83
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jadv View Post

I just got my custom 15" HD screen MB Pro yesterday, no delays. The only issue is that my 1TB WD Scorpion Blue fits perfectly in it, but is not recognized? Not sure if it is a firmware issue or a power drain, but I am bummed!

Western Digital? Your Mac is probably just trying to save you from heartache. They're nice that way. Western Digital is to HDs as Kingston is to flash memory... back up OFTEN...
  • Reply 48 of 83
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Simple, they aren't the most popular choices. I checked out the 15" high-res and as much as I'd like for certain things I won't buy it until RI is in place because everything is way to small for my liking.

So did you end up buying $2200 i7 version? I am not saying high res should be a standard feature across all models. Rather, that it should be a standard feature on one of 3 standard models instead of being a build-to-order option (i7 seems more suitable as BTO).
  • Reply 49 of 83
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Well I was hoping with the upgrade Apple would offer a 13-inch MBP with an anti-glare screen. I guess I go with the 15-inch now.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:

So did you end up buying $2200 i7 version? I am not saying high res should be a standard feature across all models. Rather, that it should be a standard feature on one of 3 standard models instead of being a build-to-order option (i7 seems more suitable as BTO).

I'm not seeing the connection between the high-res display and the fastest 15" MBP. I can see a case users buying the entry level 15" MBP user with Core-i5 and wanting the high-res and/or AG displays. I can also see a case for those wanting the top-end 15" MBP with Core-i7 also wanting the standard display, for the reasons I already mentioned. Until RI can allow the user to adjust the UI elements at will there simply can't be a marketing strategy that tries to up-sell the high-end 15" MBP with a high-res display as standard.

Me, I'm almost certainly going for the entry level 13" MBP. My other option was the entry-level 15" MBP. The additional cost for the better processor isn't worth the money, for my needs.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Western Digital? Your Mac is probably just trying to save you from heartache. They're nice that way. Western Digital is to HDs as Kingston is to flash memory... back up OFTEN...

I beg to differ. I have had a Scorpion Black WD 320 in my C2D for nearly a year now without any problems or hiccups.

Quiet and reliable for me.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    Quote:

Until RI can allow the user to adjust the UI elements at will

What is RI?
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

What is RI?

Resolution independence.

You can turn it on in Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. 1 is the default value, 0.9 would make 10% smaller, 1.5 would make it 50% larger, etc.

Code:

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

You'll have to restart an app for the change to show up, including Finder.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

I'm not seeing the connection between the high-res display and the fastest 15" MBP. I can see a case users buying the entry level 15" MBP user with Core-i5 and wanting the high-res and/or AG displays.

Yes, but ordering a BTO MBP takes longer and locks you into buying from Apple online store.

i7 MBP boosts negligible performance benefit over i5 (BareFeats has done several benchmarks between the two models, all measuring between 0 to 15% improvement), so I think it is more suitable as BTO for those needing every ounces of extra performance. Higher res/anti glare screen, on the other hand, is something that is more dramatic for those wanting extra real estate space.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:

Yes, but ordering a BTO MBP takes longer and locks you into buying from Apple online store.

Of course, because it's a less common request. If/When higher-resolution displays, Anti-reflective, 512GB SSDs, etc. became the most common requests then they will be the standard builds. As it stands now these are not the most common and therefore aren't standard issue.

If at some point the top-end Core-i7 with high-res display becomes the most requested option then you'll likely see these in the stores and have this be the standard, with or without the BTO option to fall back to the lower ppi display.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    jjfcpajjfcpa Posts: 1member
    I ordered this on April 21st with an anticipated ship date of 1-3 business days. It shipped the next day and will be delivered on Monday, April 26th.

?

PROCESSOR\t065-9133\t2.53GHz Intel Core i5

MEMORY\t065-9136\t8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB

HARD DRIVE\t065-9140\t500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

OPTICAL DRIVE\t065-9145\tSuperDrive 8X DL

DISPLAY\t065-9412\tMBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

Apple Software - iWork\t065-7672\tNo iWork preinstalled

Apple Software - Final Cut Exp\t065-7674\tNo Final Cut Express preinstd

Apple Software - Aperture\t065-7673\tNo Aperture Preinstalled

Apple Software - Logic Express\t065-7675\tNo Logic Express Preinstalled

Apple Software - Filemaker\t065-8307\tNo FileMaker Preinstalled

Apple Software - MS Office\t065-8198\tNo MSO preinstalled

DVI Adapter\t065-9150\tNo DVI Adapter

VGA Adapter\t065-9152\tNo VGA Adapter

KEYBOARD AND DOCUMENTATION\t065-9160\tKeyboard/Users Guide

COUNTRY KIT\t065-9163\tCountry Kit
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Mine just says "NATURAL DISASTER".

So that's where my ex-wife ended up!
  • Reply 58 of 83
    I ordered on the 14th April, it shipped on the 17th and arrived on the 21st April.

TNT's tracking had it going from Shanghai > Pudong > Hong Kong > Pudong (Connection Delay. Recovery Actions Underway) > Sydney > ...

?\tPROCESSOR 2.66GHz Intel Core i7

?\tMEMORY 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB

?\tHARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

?\tDISPLAY MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

My first Mac PC. So far so good.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Mine just says "NATURAL DISASTER".

a "natural disaster" MBP.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Its weird how almost all of you in your specs listing of your new MBP have chosen i7 and have chosen 8 gigs of ram, considering my posts on this website EVERYone has said get 4 gigs and buy new 8 gigs for cheaper down the line if you want it, and EVERYone has said how i5 is just as good as i7.

Funky.