Microsoft confirms Courier tablet, quashes hopes of shipping it

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Is it my imagination that there are people here actually think Courier will be shipped later this year? They even recommend us to just wait for it.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Really, I'm stunned by the reactions to this article. I often find appleinsider's articles to be too fanboish, but now I tend to refrain more and more to read the comments that always seem childish and...fanboish. Most if not all of the gadget sites where hyperexcited by what this product could have been. I think it could have been awesome. How can you compare this to the iPad? As a creative tool it just looked so neat. Ok I dont know if MS would have been capable of building such a thing but the concept was really cool, and no matter what SJ says, there's an use for touch pen on tablets, and this was the perfect example. I regret I'll never be able to use one.

You know there probably is a use for a touch pen on tablet, it's just more of a niche item. Which is what the iPad detracters claimed the iPad was. They got it backwards.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Really, I'm stunned by the reactions to this article. I often find appleinsider's articles to be too fanboish, but now I tend to refrain more and more to read the comments that always seem childish and...fanboish. Most if not all of the gadget sites where hyperexcited by what this product could have been. I think it could have been awesome. How can you compare this to the iPad? As a creative tool it just looked so neat. Ok I dont know if MS would have been capable of building such a thing but the concept was really cool, and no matter what SJ says, there's an use for touch pen on tablets, and this was the perfect example. I regret I'll never be able to use one.

I was more surprised that people got so excited about a render. It was a great concept and an excellent demonstration of how an alternative UI could work, but that was it. We don't even know if they finished the OS to make it work like the renders, let alone built a device in that form factor with decent battery life. MSI's dual screen tablet just got delayed due to terrible battery life, and it is not nearly as ambitious as the courier concept.

The last tablet render to get so much hype was the crunchpad, aka joojoo. We all know how that turned out.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yep.

This has been a problem since the start of the year, and last year even. All these folks talking, talking, talking. Showing prototypes and giving vague 'later this year' timelines.

r.

when did microshaft talk about this or give timelines "later thus year "or anything like that? Or are you counting leaks as them publically admitting to it?
  • Reply 65 of 100
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

"At any given time, across any of our business groups, there are new ideas being investigated, tested, and incubated. It's in Microsoft's DNA to continually develop and incubate new technologies to foster productivity and creativity. "

Too bad nothing noteworthy over the past decade has made it beyond incubation.

How about the ZUNE???!!! Apple still doesn't have an iPod that can "squirt" music at you!

(when you read "squirt" just imagine Steve Ballmer "squirting" at you!)
  • Reply 66 of 100
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Too bad for all of those who wanted the HP Slate and MS Courier. Now they have to wait for at least a year or get an iPad.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    Quote:

Well that's possible. Still, I'm sad, I had promised to my girlfriend that I'd buy her one. She's an interior architect and this would have been so cool for her!

Ok well I see the problem now. If m$ ever says they're going to do something, imply their going to do something, leaks info about doing something and that idea isn't already a successfully released product by another company that m$ is copying, it ain't gonna happen. Come to think of it even if they say their going to make something that is a copy of a successful product it still has only a small chance of happening and a great chance, if it does happen, of being either virus ridden, plagued by rrod or named zune.

The more you know...
  • Reply 68 of 100
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Apparently MS cancelled it because they dropped a few prototypes in bars that no one bothered to steal. Word is that a barman did take one home but chucked it in the bin eventually.

Engadget contacted the garbage collection agencies, who sent them a couple of tons of trash, via a courier, just to get the sneak prototype previews to their users as quickly as possible. They are have their full stuff on going through that trash as we speak. Their offices smell by a mile. They ll soon have the health authorities on their back, but hey, it's worth it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yeah, Microsoft makes some truly revolutionary videos. They've totally shaken up the CGI concept-video market.

that's just so f. funny, thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Yeah, tell that one to the legions of Microsofties on Engadget threatening to commit suicide.

Boy will I have a great laugh as soon as I visit that moronic site.

Danny (Prince) get the article on roughly drafted out as soon as possible, can't wait to read it.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apparently MS cancelled it because they dropped a few prototypes in bars that no one bothered to steal. [/B]

Very funny!
  • Reply 70 of 100
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    What you wanted: Microsoft Courier

What you're getting: HPalm Foleo 2.0
  • Reply 71 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

This is one of the strangest posts I think I've ever seen. As far as I can make out, you're reproaching people here for being "childish" and "fanboish" because they were insufficiently credulous regarding MS's ability to actually deliver anything like the concept video they were showing.

I, and others here, never for a moment believed that there was anything but a rendered video, never expected a product, and were amused/weirded out by the ridiculous levels of faith some parties were putting into what after all was nothing but a concept- going right past "that will be cool if it ever ships" and straight into "Ha ha sheep, what are you going to do now, the mighty Courier blows your Crapple toys out of the water!"

So naturally there's a bit of Schadenfreude now, but you're still stuck in fantasy land, mourning the loss of a product which never existed as if it had just slipped through your fingers. Which somehow reflects poorly on those of us in the reality based community. Like I say: strange.

I reminds me of a lot of the comments on the gadget blogs-- you get the impression that the die-hard MS fanboys think a fake product somehow still trumps the real thing, in that the "Courier" was some kind of brilliant achievement that just happens to have wandered off, whereas the (actual, shipping) iPad is stupid and wrong. Maybe this the endgame for MS, and they can just charge for fantasies of endlessly capable, endlessly functional equipment that their customer base will hold close to their hearts while bitterly denouncing all products in the real world.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

About a dozen Windows Fanatics screamed in despair.

A dozen? Try several million.
  • Reply 73 of 100
    Quote:

Well that's possible. Still, I'm sad, I had promised to my girlfriend that I'd buy her one. She's an interior architect and this would have been so cool for her!

I agree that the DEMO was interesting but the problem I always had with it was that the interface of the device seemed to be built to make a good demo. The gestures they were showing were rather arbitrary and it seemed like the device sort of "knew" what the gesture was supposed to mean just magically. The reason why it took Apple five years to develop the iPhone is that it's presumably very difficult to create an actual practical interface for a touch device. It's all well and good when you can tailor the demo to fit the nifty multi-touch gestures you choose to include, but then you have to make those gestures consistent throughout the whole system and the apps that run for it. You can't just arbitrarily change the function of a gesture because you feel like it or it would be like having to learn a new keyboard for every application you run. The Courier video was always just a neat rendering but it would take years and years of actual hands-on development to make it actually usable.

For instance, the "user" can flick data like contact information and images from the left screen to the right with a swipe. But if you swipe from the right screen to the left it acted as a page turn. The demo also shows the user pulling down a menu from the top of the screen, but the chances of that gesture being mistaken for a scroll up are very high. Lots of cool concepts but in real use I think there would be a conflicts.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Apple has been setting the bar high for these mother******* in the tech game for years!
  • Reply 75 of 100
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Haha, I thought they actually confirmed it was gonna come out. I guess all we have from MS so far is a giant coffee table.

And you know what is even worse, that (the surface) was not even Microsoft's idea. It was invented in Cambridge University, UK, by Adrian Travis team. He works now for MS.

Google Travis Cambridge Surface for more info.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    Courier is just a really cool looking App. Evernote or Devon think should be doing this right now - probably are. give is 12 months and there'll be something that works exactly like this on the iPad - might even be a microsoft product!
  • Reply 77 of 100
    Wow... they still had CRT Desktops back in 2008.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    I read somewhere that the Microsoft Courier comes bundled with Duke Nukem Forever...
  • Reply 79 of 100
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    This just gets more entertaining by the day. The only reason MS floated the Courier was to take away from the iPad. When that didn't work, they noticed that the Courier was actually taking away from the HP Slate. With egg on their face, they have had to expose the Courier hoax so that no one holds off on a Slate purchase. Perhaps HP will announce that the Slate was only ever intended to compete with the Courier. Good times.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    what a stupid article, it's a shameless microsoft bash on no grounds. this was obviously a product that didn't make it out of r&d, not some piece of vaporware. microsoft never said they would sell it. apple probably has hundreds of products like this that have never seen the light of day.

just an unprofessional, stupid article.