Valve sets public Mac Steam release for May 12, 2010

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

If the leaked beta screen shots I've seen are true, I'm disappointed that Valve decided to go with their own ugly UI on my beautiful Mac desktop instead of using the native Mac gui toolkit. Nothing jaratees mac users more than disrupting our gorgeous desktops.

they made is so it will build for both Windows and Mac... its much easier to do that by having the same UI... and not use OS dependent code any more than they need to. This also keeps the game looking and working the same on both platforms.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Gah, damn you, valve, right in the middle of exams week!

::grumble grumble, mutter mutter::
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

If the leaked beta screen shots I've seen are true, I'm disappointed that Valve decided to go with their own ugly UI on my beautiful Mac desktop instead of using the native Mac gui toolkit. Nothing jaratees mac users more than disrupting our gorgeous desktops.

I really like the UI - I much prefer the sharp corner windows to Apple's rounded corners because when you drag a window to the edge of the screen, it leaves no gaps. The black theme is nice too.

I'm disappointed that it won't arrive until May 12th when PC users got the new UI on Monday but at least it's definitely coming and as Engadget wrote not vaporware.

Gaming these days seems to be all about waiting unfortunately. If Apple released updated Macbooks, Minis and entry iMac with the 320M before May 12th, that would be nice.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Frankly I couldn't give a damn which UI is being used, or whether the Mac is not considered to be a good gaming platform by some. As long as I can play LFD2 and TF2 with my Windows-loving friends then I'm happy!

Some system specs would be useful from Valve, although I'm guessing any Mac bought within the last year or so will probably run these games at a reasonable level...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazzaroonie View Post

Some system specs would be useful from Valve, although I'm guessing any Mac bought within the last year or so will probably run these games at a reasonable level...

The 9400M struggles with LFD under Windows to the point of it being unplayable IMO but the Half-Life series and Portal are fine - Team Fortress should be ok too.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 9400M struggles with LFD under Windows to the point of it being unplayable IMO but the Half-Life series and Portal are fine - Team Fortress should be ok too.

Thanks for info. I'm looking at getting the Radeon HD 4670 equipped iMac, hopefully that will fare a little better.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    mistyped. Meant May 12. Anyway, can't find any date anywhere. So McLean, care to spill the beans and provide a citation?

C
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

mistyped. Meant May 12. Anyway, can't find any date anywhere. So McLean, care to spill the beans and provide a citation?

C

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20003832-248.html

"Valve on Thursday finally set Wednesday, May 12, as the day when the software will be made available to the general public."

Also:

"One detail that remains unconfirmed by the company, and that was apparently mentioned to a high-level Steam forums user with sources inside Valve, is that those who signed up for the Mac beta will gain access to the software ahead of the May 12 release date. That could be welcome news to those who can't wait another two weeks."

A wider rollout of the beta before May 12th would be nice to let people who took an interest in signing up see it wasn't a pointless venture. Still the 12th is a week tomorrow so it's not going to be much of an advance preview.